Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brookville prices?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by _charles_, Apr 6, 2011.

1. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

I have a Cadillac 331 in the garage, and I've been eye-balling some early ford wire wheels. Unfortunately, I've been in a sticky "legal" situation for almost 2 years. Looking forward is all that keeps me going sometimes.

Anyways, I've been thinking about a 30-32 highboy. I've been researching body's, and found that a 30-31 Brookville roadster body is only $6,600 (and i guess a 32 is $11,500). This is alot less than the $20k+ I had been hearing about years ago. Is this right?

Wanting to build a roadster like this coupe...perfect wheels/stance (at least to me).

Attached Files:

• w7.jpg
      w7.jpg
      File size:
      283 KB
      Views:
  2. phat rat

phat rat

Too my knowledge the roadsters were never $20,000. I know that 8 years ago the 32 was $10,500 and the Model A's were $5500 in 03

3. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

4. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I just went thru all the motions with Brookville. Great people by the way. The A model roadsters can be bought in stock form for $6500 or so, the '32 is $10,500. They have a ton of different options that will ad a few hundred to the price if you want them.

You can save a few hundred by going thru one of their dealers.... It costs more to buy from them direct. We bought a '31 with all the bells last year and it was about $7500 from BR direct.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

5. Maybe you were thinking of the '32 Coupe?

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Out of curiosity (and a fair amount of early Ford ignorance), why is the '32 that much more expensive than a '30-'31? Can't be that much more metal or complicated to make can it? Is it just supply and demand = much higher profit margin?

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The 32 is considerably more difficult and complex to stamp than the Model A.

The 32 was done at a later time and inflation also added to the cost of duplicating the 32.

The PRICE DIFFERENCE ( Model A vs 32 ) from Brookville ... ( 4 grand ) is not worth worrying about if you are starting a new build. :D

Buy off of WHAT YOU WANT ...
    IF you really prefer the Model A ... then by all means go for the Model A :)

But if you really prefer the 32 ... you will never really be happy with something else.

1 ) a 32 is roomier
    2 ) a 32 has a longer wheelbase
    3 ) a 32 has better doors ... and easier to get in/out of.
    4 ) a 32 has the fuel tank at the rear, not in the cowl :mad:

1 ) a Model A costs less
    2 ) a Model A is lighter
    3 ) A Model A has two styles ( 1928-1929 ) and ( 1930-1931 )

Your money = your decision :eek:

8. If it leads with '32, a higher price will follow...

...but they are more complicated than the A's.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

32 anything is Just higher than Model A anything.

I'd think the main reason is that the dies for the 32 cost a lot more to make than the dies for the 30/31 and they have been making the 30/31 bodys a lot longer.

10. 1932 was the only year with that particular body style. Also, first year for the V-8. They made a gross amount of model A's...

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Thanks, am just curious. I mostly just know Studebaker trucks. But have always just wondered why the '32 is so much more desirable. I understand the numbers when it comes to limited supply of the vintage tin, but seems bit of stretch when it is all new anyway. An almost 70% up charge seems like a hell of lot of difference. Can't imagine Ford back in '31 was thinking the same way when they were figuring it all out the first time. A 70% increase in the cost of the body alone would have surely been a deal killer.

But, I also use only Macs, so maybe the same concept, different story.

12. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

Well, out of curiosity, is the 5 window in the picture above a 31 or 32?

13. NOT TO START THE OLD DEBATE AGAIN, BUT.....
    Maybe skip all the drama and get a good fiberglass body? You could put the saved $$ elsewhere in the car...

14. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

1932 Ford 5W coupe :D :)

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:confused: :confused:

Most decent fiberglass bodies ( like Wescott ) cost close to almost as much as the Brookville versions.

:cool:

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Brookville prices are the fairest I have ever seen for what you get ! For what little difference there is between the cost of a Brookville metal and a good quality fiberglass , I will take the Brookville hands down !
    There is nothing wrong with good fiberglass roadster at all !
    I just prefer metal but that is each to their own for that decision !
    Both are good quality !

Retro Jim

17. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Quantity. When Ford was stamping out '32s the cost of the dies figured over the entire production run was relatively small, compared to Brookville, who will probably never make half as many '32s as Ford did. And back then people actually made things, so skilled labor was not as hard to come by as it is now.

18. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

The two things you may want to consider:

One, do you really want a '32 and are just trying to save some money? Because when it's time to sell, the '32 bodied car will bring MUCH more back than any Model-A bodied car (more than the $4000 difference).

Two, I my opinion, the level of finish-out of most steel '32 roadsters puts a lot of pressure on you to make it $uper nice. The Model-A gives you some room to be traditional and maybe a bit less refined in the finish-out. I'm building a Brookville '31 RPU for that very reason

(Save the attacks, fella's - I know a model-A can be just a nice as a Deuce. But let's face it - the Deuce crowd has become big bucks!)

19. cruzr

cruzr

The 32 Brookville body is what we started 32gals Roadster with, an xlnt body !!worth the money

20. swissmike

swissmike

I have a BR 31 roadster and I am very pleased with it, but in the bigger view of things the $4k in price difference is not really that big of a deal, considering how much money it takes to build a complete car as stated earlier. If you don't see much difference between an A and a 32 then maybe you shoudn't worry and just get the A. I now wished I had gone for a 32.
    The 32 body is made up of a lot more parts than the A. It really only becomes clear once you compare the two side by side.
    BR is a great company to deal with in every respect.

21. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

This is sorta funny. We are talking about a reproduction body on a traditional forum.... Oh well. I like the Brookeville stuff. I really dig the trucks to be honest. they look like they would be really great start to a traditional build up. Good luck with your build.

22. Ice man

Ice man

If you want a Brookville Body order it ASAP. They have a waiting list. Mine was a 29 and it took 12 weeks to make and several more for shipping. The 2nd one was ordered from Snyders and they had them in stock. Iceman

23. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

May not matter to anyone else but I notice the difference.

Model A roadster your shoulders show sitting in it.
    `32 only your head shows. Much deeper and longer inside.

My `29 seems small and cramped after sitting in it all day.

24. Speedi D

Speedi D
    from Calif

It's called capitalism.

25. Speedi D

Speedi D
    from Calif

Just "seat-of-the-pants" - Brookville has probably made as many '32 roadsters to date as Ford did in 1932. If not, they certainly will have before it is all over.

26. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

As stated before.... A steel repro body as good as a Brookville will not be arrested by the traditional police. It's a small crime, not punishable.

The shape of 80 year old metal is declining every day. There is Absolutely Nothing wrong with using a Brookville or equal body for a traditional build. Hell, Bob Drake is now making a complete steel '40 Ford body.

Do what you want, it's your car....

27. 117harv

117harv

32 repro frame rails are the backbone of many traditional rides, there just isn't enough origonals to go around.

28. not to dump on this thread, ( here we go ) does anyone remember the swedish company that was making a aluminum 32 roadster body ??? i remember reading about it but can't recall the info.... thx, dave

29. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

30. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Interesting point. I looked it up there were 12,500 or so Roadsters built in 32. Not sure how many Brookville has made but probably not that many. Keep in mind that when ford was stamping out 32's the hoods, hood sides, fenders and lots of other stuff were also used on the 250,000 other fords that were build in 32.