Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 28-29 leatherback find.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K204DR, Apr 9, 2011.

1. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

well, I been looking for a model A body for awhile, for a frame and stock driveline I have. My dad had this 4dr in his back weeds for the last 20 years, and was told it was a b-model from who he got it from. well he's been sick and we have been down cleaning out his other house to sell and I started looking at it again. ended up digging it out and draggin it home. looks like its a 28-29 leatherback 4dr body on a frame.

anyhow, this will probably be a slow build, still gotta hunt down a steering column, radiator, and pedals for the drivetrain. and figure out what to do with the rotted out wood.
    the plan is to put it back together mostly stock for now with juice brakes on it since the front brake stuff is mostly missing. got a 29 banger motor, trans and rear thats supposed to run good.
    anyone got any build threads on replacing wood with metal? the wood kits seem to be pretty high price. curious if I could just box in the metal with sheetmetal and weld it all together. the metal is in real good shape on it.

not real sure of the order I should do things, but thought I should set the body on my spare frame, and get the frame and running gear repainted and running, and then work on the body while its on the other frame. then transfer it over to the nice one. having something thats painted and runs might be incentive for me to keep going on it.

Attached Files:

2. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

on the trailer after I got it home. gotta unload it in the next day or two.

Attached Files:

3. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

can't believe you didn't get it sooner. Good deal!

4. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

was only recently able to convince my dad to let them go!

5. 55chevr

55chevr

Looks like you have a cowl with doors ... Not much to start with but a lot of folks have started with less.

6. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I would have taken it also.

7. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

An aggressive build, but definitely workable. If you need anything, let me know. Looks like a Phaeton in the background... What's the story on it?

Kevin

8. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

I know typicaly Model-B refers to 32 forward but the "model-A's" going by the same name are typicaly leatherbacks and are pretty rare, correct? I don't see them to often at all

9. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

the car in the background is a 26 touring T. going to get that one running and driving for my dad. its in pretty rough shape, just gonna make it where it will run and drive for him.
    no idea how rare the leatherbacks are, but I haven't seen too many of them, hardly seen any that were hotrodded at all. mostly stock ones. guess its hard to weld wood back together when you chop it!