Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody get anything from JC Whitney that DOESN'T suck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Apr 30, 2008.

1. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Haha, like my friend Del says "everything sucks around here except the vacuum"
    But I did buy pistons for an 1800 MGB motor from them, they worked fine.

2. rancid737

rancid737

their free catolog is an awesome fire starter!

3. Bought a front end rebuild kit for my 57 Chev back in '78 and all the parts were Moog. It was a lot cheaper than paying full retail at the local Napa store who before Autozone/Advance etc just plain ripped off the walk in customer.

I rarely go into that same Napa store today. Now they beg for my business.

4. Saw the green star and wondered what was going on. Already responded to this thread several years ago, I guess.

Yeah a long time ago the options pretty much were JC Whitney, NAPA, the boneyard and Western Auto.

Nowadays take ANYTHING from Autozone or Advance and add 25-100% to the cost and that's the NAPA price.
    The only thing I buy there anymore is NAPA Gold/Wix oil filters and brake fittings.
    Wife's OT Mountaineer needed a front wheel brng hub assembly.

Online quality part - $86 + $15 shipping - $101 total
    Advance - $110
    Autosone - $120
    NAPA - $226

WTF......NAPA.....over 100% markup for the exact same part.

5. I poked around on their site today and a lot of stuff I searched on didn't come up.

6. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

About 6-7 years ago I bought a brake line kit that included a roll of 1/4" steel brake tubing and about a dozen fittings, and a double flaring tool from JCW. The flaring tool was a cheapo, and I didn't get very good results with it, but some of that may have been my lack of skill. I made the brake lines for my 50 Chevy with it anyway...

In about 79 I got a Warshawsky catalog in the mail. Remember them? Same illustrations, drawings, graphics, everything as a JCW catalog. I bought a replacement seat cover for my 66 Chevy pickup from that catalog and it was high quality. I seem to remember comparing the Chicago addresses for Warshawsky and JCW from their catalogs - and they were on the same street corner, one on one street and one on the other. ;>)

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Blacktopjeff brings this thread up from the dead at 10:44a and is banned by 2:00p?

8. I bought a Jeep horn, it went meep meep, so I was happy. When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is . Buy cheap, buy again.

9. Riva B.

Riva B.

Got a mirror from them and then they Emailed me twice a day for 2 years.

10. widow maker

widow maker
    from nj

Bought a AAAHOOOOOOOOOGGAAA horn back in the 50's, cost $14.95 or there abouts, used thru out the years swapping it from car to car (somtimes a truck) , still have it today proudly mounted on my 29.., and it still freaking works!!!! Imagine that... :):)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Got some really nice headlights from them. Made in France with bulb and reflector lamps...damn. Sealed beams fit too though so when they get broken those pretty lenses get replaced with American made cheapies.

12. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

20 years ago i had a fullsize 2wd 79 chevy blazer dropped 4/6. i thought it would be cool to put a set of IROC wheels on it i had (hey ! remeber this was 20 years ago! haha) anyways i was like 18 years old and didnt know any better and orderd a set of wheel adapters from JC whitney, they worked out great for a few weeks untill i took a lil trip and about a 100 miles away from home one of them broke on the freeway!....i cant recall ever ordering anything from them since...

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

14. A Boner

A Boner

I bought a Lucas vacuum cleaner from them,....and it doesn't suck!

15. historynw

historynw

I've bought carpet from them twice, it actually was from ACC ( Auto Custom Carpet) they helped get the right one at a cheaper price.

16. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I bought a complete Rancho suspension kit for a 1946 Willys CJ2A jeep about 30 plus years ago and it fit like it was supposed too, and is still going strong and I still got the jeep too!

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few years ago they had chrome tight tuck headers for big and small block V8 Chevys .

I ordered a set of the big block headers and a week or so later here comes this box direct from Ernie Immerso Enterprises. Probably some of the best looking factory made headers I have seen. And the price was more than right.

18. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

i bought a hub puller from them about 2 years ago.It was at a great price so I thought for sure it was a made in China P.O.S. Imagine my surprise when I open the box and it was made here in the U.S! I have no complaints.

19. Deuces

Deuces

So, which is it?? A VW horn or a Plymouth Roadrunner horn???? :D

20. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

I bought seat covers for a 240Z Datsun over 25yrs ago for a few bucks and got high quality leather replacement seat skins.......over the years I bought several times....good and bad....like Forest Gump said- "it's like a box of chocolates....."
    Lately the stuff dont seem so good....

21. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

I was actually at their store-front yesterday,got some weatherstripping for my O/T Dodge truck project,was going to eventually order it online,but was passing by anyway...

22. GREASER815

GREASER815

Whitney actually sells alot of name brand stuff. I live 3 miles from the outlet store and warehouse. They have a huge amount of name brand stuff that is not even advertised. They own Stylin concepts, all custom stuff for trucks, billet grille, hard tonneaus, etc... All name brand. There is some junk too, don't get me wrong. I can see where you uys are coming from, I can go out and put my hands on something before I buy it. That makes a huge difference. I guess it's like anything else, if it seems way too cheap it probably sucks.

23. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

i bought rear leaf springs for my 55 fairlane from them . nice product it great and ride good. there parts people suck and online catalog is hard to navigate but i figured it out my self and orderd them. have recomended there springs to many others .

24. Hey;)Jeep went Meep Meep too!

25. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

I bought some carpet and was pleasantly suprised at how nice the people were on the phone. They sent a $25 gift certificate and when I went to use it, I found a Retrosound dual voice coil speaker on their website that I wanted to try. The speaker was $10 cheaper at Crutchfield with free shipping but they matched the price and free shipping and let me use the gift certificate!

26. bought a set of seat covers and wiring harness for my 30 tudor in 1963. both are still
    working well.

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Besides a lot of junk, I don't like their shipping charges. I've found stuff there that wasn't badly priced, but with S&H charges based on the value of the part, the charges get rediculous! I usually find it somewhere else where the total is lower.

28. squirrel

squirrel

I built a decent street/strip 396 using JCW parts....32 years ago. It was mostly name brand stuff, TRW, FelPro, Badger, etc.

That was a long time ago.

29. I bought stuff from Whitney, it's my source for cheap, low expectation parts on budget beater projects. Lots of times, I'm pleasantly surprised.

30. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I thought they became Speedway.