Register now to get rid of these ads!

muncie/tremec bellhousing/input shaft differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustisgold, Apr 8, 2011.

1. rustisgold

rustisgold

i have a 62 401 nailhead wich i bought a norwest speed belhousing/flywheel for, its to run a muncie 4 speed. lately iv been looking and noticing several other belhousings wich say they will work with either a muncie 4 speed or a tremec 5 speed. im wonderring if the bolt patterns are the same between both tranys? i reallize there will be a different spline on the input shaft of the trans wich will chainge wich clutch disk i can run. is the input shaft the same length? can i run a tremec on the belhousing i have and if so what model of trans or out of what donor car (mustang/vette/camero.....year?) should i be looking for? thanks for any help or info given in advance.

2. classic gary

classic gary

i bolted a "chevy" TKO 500 to a '56 chevy iron bellhousing then to an LS motor and then to a Gen 1 small block chevy. it all fit. so yeah, if a muncie will bolt on, a "chevy" TKO should bolt on. a "ford" TKO is different. (at least 6 years ago it was).

3. rustisgold

rustisgold

good to know, thanks again

4. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Most "Chevy" TREMEC T-5s out of Camaros will "bolt-up" to a Chevy "Muncie-type" bellhousing AFTER you run a 1/2" drill bit through the four mounting-ear holes, as they're a slightly smaller metric-size hole. On-center hole LOCATION matches existing. My "Chevy" TREMEC TKO 600 bolts-up to an old Muncie-type bell with no mods. 26-spline input! I've found the T-5 inputs to be 14 OR 26 spline, depending on original application. DD

5. Just finished a Muncie 21 to Tremec TKO 600 swap in my '23 Track T. My bell housing is from a '64 Vette, bolted right up.
    The TKO 600 has 26 spline shaft for an input shaft and a 31 spline shaft for an output shaft. On my app, a lot of tunnel surgery plus the old McLeod hyd TO bearing would allow the new 26 spline clutch to slip. Went to the 14000 series from McLeod, but they sent me a leaker. Waiting for a replacement now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now this is geared tall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  6. tdoty

tdoty

But it runs really cool..............

Tim D.

7. classic gary

classic gary

how many bugs went over the windshield and got you ?

8. That is why I drive looking like this.

[​IMG]

9. Ole don

Ole don

One may not wish to say a Tremec is this or that, they have a housing to fit nearly anything. Look at the Tremec website, its huge.

10. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

What r u doin takin pictures at 100+???? Lol

11. To convince you I wasn't taking pictures at 100 mph, this is the picture I took, and you know folks with T-buckets pulling trailers don't do no 100, more like 65. And this Tremec TKO 600 also bolted up to my Muncie bellhousing.

[​IMG]

12. classic gary

classic gary

looks like that guy has been drivin' that T bucket for a long time !!!