Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 235 experts main bearing ?s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Kid 53, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

I need to replace the main bearings in my motor it is in a 1953 Chevy Belair with a powerglide. What I need to know is there a difference and what would it be between the powerglide bearings and the standard trans main bearings. Also is there any difference between the rod beadings between powerglide and standard trans motors?
    Thanks!

2. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

yes the standards had the old babbit bearings ,the automatics have the more modern insert bearings. but a car this old may have had an engine change?

3. R Pope

R Pope

Like dorf sez, the 'Glide engine has modern insert bearings with no shims, rods and mains. Full pressure oiling, too.
    To tell the difference, check for a tin three bolt plate just above the pan rail, behind the exhaust pipe. No tin plate, it's a full pressure engine.

4. cicciobilly

cicciobilly
    from italy

I'm not an expert at all, but check for the casting numbers on the engine to see if it's the orignal engine to this car and transmission, because '53 235 was the transition between babbit engines and full pressure ones. For example in my '53 with three on tree I had a '54 full pressure engine...

5. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

I know its a full oiler but i need to check the casting #s to make sure what year it is. it also has hydraulic lifters in it too so if what I know is correct about these engines having hydraulic lifters says it a power glide engine. The mains do not have the locking tabs like modern engines so im thinking is a 53 powerlide engine or a 54 engine.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  6. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

7. someone is right they definately had shims on the replaceable main bearings,
    some people turn the cranks on these nowadays and they wont turn without shims:eek:

8. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

Ok i knew the rod bearings are differant I just forgot. What i need to know is will main bearings from a later motor with pin locks work in my 53 powerglide.

9. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

Starting with the 55 car and 55-2nd series truck 235's had roll-in upper main bearing shells: you could replace them without dropping the crank. The lower bearing shells were pinned/doweled to the main cap. No shims.

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Simple, pull crank and get the number off one of the old bearings to ID the style you need.