Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old car blues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iamflashman, Apr 8, 2011.

1. iamflashman

iamflashman

Ever "finish" a car and feel almost disappointed that there is no more work to do?

I think I enjoy building these things more than I do driving the finished product.

Don't get me wrong, I love driving my old cars but it just seems to be more fun doing all the tedious welding, grinding, and sanding than turning the key.

Am I just crazy or does anyone else feel this way?

2. chubbie

chubbie

yup you'r crazy:eek: thats why i have one to drive and one to work on!! just think if a guy would use junk parts...you could drive it then work on it:D

3. Black Primer

Black Primer

Thats why I always keep one or two in the yard. Just a little inspiration.

4. drj70

drj70

Its always nice to get to get them done . The feeling of acomplishment an the nice comment from people . but that goes away quick and then your board .so you sell and then say I wish I had that car back.or I should have kept it . lol right ?

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Build it,drive it a little,sell it,make money,start over...........

6. Build it, drive it, keep it for the kids inheritance, start over.... at least that's how it's working for me. I have 3 kids, building number 2 right now, one to go. But to answer the question, I enjoy the build actually more than the driving part (so far)...;)

7. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

i like driving them better then busting my nuckles, but i do admit, it is a ton of fun working on them. i like that i have one near finished i can drive and blow off steam when i get mad at the one im working on.

8. phukinartie

phukinartie

Sometimes when they are done they are no more fun!!! Been there

9. iamflashman

iamflashman

I glad to see that I am not alone! I do tend to keep them rather than sell to my wife's chagrin.

10. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

You can actually finish them?

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

And thus,... the seed of hording is once again looking for fertile soil.:D

This is exactly why most guys have more than one project car.

12. iamflashman

iamflashman

Same here. My ragtop is 99% done so when I get tired of sanding on the wagon, I just take it out for a spin.

13. HotRod33

HotRod33

LOL.... I have my 33 about 90 percent done and I drive it alot... I have 2 other projects and I live to work on them...... for me it is about the build.........

14. fosheezie

fosheezie
    from las vegas

i hate when you get to the point that the only way to make your project better is to start throwing wads of money at it... ie new paint job, different wheels and the like... i know where you are coming from..

15. millersgarage

millersgarage

when I finished my coupe, I'd come home from work, and not know what to do with myself.
    started tearing apart the '47......

16. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I can't wait to feel that way.

17. fatkoop

fatkoop

When are they ever done?

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

When you start the next project,.........

19. jleblanc31

jleblanc31

I only have a few in the works right now 5 and a half to be exact and am iching to buy one I can just get in and drive. the only thing that keeps me from buying one that i can get in and drive is the money it will take to buy one I could use to finish one. and than I would be complete. but to answer your question I do think I like building them more than I like driving them. and like you said I still get a kick out of driving them.

20. Thats why people like me (and your brother) have WAY too many to ever finish so we never get bored, stressed yes but bored NEVER. And like crackheads we still look for more. LOL

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a buddy in Waco that as soon as he got a project up and running and driving lost interest in it and sold it. He was all about the building and not all that excited about driving it or showing it.

22. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Well if you like to build and finish them more than driving them then I have 2 you can build for me so I can really enjoy driving them !

Retro Jim

23. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I got dem bluz too had,em for years....you are not alone

24. When you sell them.