Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum Flywheel Question ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yagzil, Apr 8, 2011.

1. yagzil

yagzil

i'm a new member, not to literate on this computor thing, my son is helping me out so here goes. i've bought a weber aluminum flywheel off e-bay for my 48 mercury motor (going in my deuce roadster). where there usually is a steel insert, there are fiber pucks that look to be made of clutch material. my question is what kind of clutch do i use? do i have to purchase a multi disc setup?

Attached Files:

2. Most of them that I have seen had a steel insert. This is a wild guess but perhaps that one you just used a pressure plate the mated to the flywheel and engauges the friction material on the face of the flywheel.

Maybe someone else getting home from work soon will know.

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I have never seen one like that. Looks like you don't need a clutch disk.Lee Chapel used to make an 1/8" steel disk to cover the aluminum when the bronze wore off the aluminum Held on by the pressure plate bolts. Wouldn't too hard to make one. But you would have to take off the clutch material on that one.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

How are you transfering any power if no clutch disc.? The input shaft of the trans would not be connected to anything that rotates with the engine. Of course if you just wanted to sit in the garage and make Vroom Vroom noises it would save your lungs and let the engine supply audio.:rolleyes:

5. I'm guessing that Weber sold a splined fly wheel but it is just a guess. Unless the material sticks up above the flywheel a bunch a standard pressure plate would engage anyway.

Sometimes I sit in the driver's seat and wiggle the wheel and make vroom vroom sounds anyway. I just never grew up, but I do smoke because my dad smoked and so i know if you are going to drive you need to smoke. So I guess the lung saving thing won't work for me. :D

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pressure plate bolts to the flywheel, so you need some kind of disk between the two. Maybe they had a matching pressure plate with fiber pads as well, and just a steel plate between the two that was the disk. Odd, never seen one like it before. And my last name is Weber......

7. crowerglide

crowerglide
    from Tyler, TX

Looks like sintered iron inserts which is probably not the best idea for street use. In the 60s and 70s some experimented with this sort of friction surface on the flywheel in multi-disc all out racing applications. We tried it on a blown alcohol dragster in '78 or so, but I haven't seen one since then. I'm not up on hi-perf street stuff or door car stuff, so maybe there's a more recent explanation, but I suspect the sintered iron will wear away pretty quickly. That's why we use sintered iron discs in the slipper clutches.

8. Then the trans would be coupled directly to the motor! :eek:

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Hey 'Beaner........not up to your usual standard.......the question is: WHAT are you smokin' ? :D

Ray

10. RAY With

RAY With

Looks like a bronz insert rivited to the Aluminum flywheel to me. A pressure plate,clutch disk and to bearing is needed as I see it. I have had a few like it in the past and it will work just fine when you set it up The insert keeps the clutch disk from eating up the aluminum.

11. TraderJack

TraderJack

OK, I don't know, but I suspect this. those appear to be brake pads!
    Now why would some one do this? Well , brake pads can take more heat than aluminum, and you could then spin a metal clutch, with the pressure plate faced with the same brake pads. Ergo, you have a disc brake clutch!

Whether it is worth doing, I don't know, but that is just my thoughts on it.

traderjack

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Again just a guess. Anybody remember the "Velva touch" drag race clutches? This thing looks as though the friction surfaces are on the flywheel and maybe the pressure plate. In which case the clutch disk would be just a steel disk with splines in it. I'm going to guess that if you want to use this thing you will need to remove the riveted in pads. Install a steel wear surface and use common disk and cover parts.