Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car ads that say; buy it now or it goes to the crusher

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy, Feb 18, 2011.

1. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

As a seller of LOTSA parts & cars, It is sometimes hard to deal with the General Public.

I have a Hard time Throwing away or Scrapping ANY old parts or cars.

But Sometimes ......... Wellllllllll

I have had & have right now some parts that are in the For Sale adds that I cant even get anyone to make an Offer on, I said they were gonna go to scrap & eventually they will.......... UNLESS some makes an offer !

There is always 2 sides & maybe somtimes sellers just get Sick of Guys trying to Give $5.00 for somthing worth $100.00 on the Open market & $50.00 as scrap.

If you are a REAL car guy, Your natural is to Barter which is Fine .... But Some of you are just WAYYYYYY ... OUTA LINE !

Man Up with a Decent offer or just let it go .... Save it or Wright it off.

I "Offer" most of my stuff up a bit High and will Barter with the best of you, IF YOU OFFER an Honest Offer.

If you Low Ball the Hell out of it, It Can sit here or I can "GIVE" it away or scrap it.

Think about it the next time you try & Low Ball someone who is Tired of Tire Kickers

2. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Here ya there desoto....have 3 old cars that I've tried to sell for several yrs...so.......soon as it drys up, I'm cutting off parts for some buds and the rest is gonna be toasters! I can't give the shit away....there not much, but I really hate to smash them! But gotta get them gone, and it'll be more money then there worth scrapping them....sad...

3. screwball

screwball

I sat on a 34 Chevy 5 window coupe body for 3 years because no one around here would touch it because of the wood. I sold it for 1500.00 finally but it almost went on the truck with a Toyota tercel. Glad I waited for the right person who saw what I saw it would have been easer to crush but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

4. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I think this is the trick, buyers.

However, i just heard " If I cant get fifteen hundred I'm gunna scrap it".

$1500.00 or $350.00 really?

5. I saw an ad like that within the past couple days. It's like, I'll show you....if you don't buy my car I'm gonna punch myself in the face:rolleyes:

6. Years ago a friend tried repeatedly to buy a car from his neighbor up the street. Maybe asked him off and on for 2 yrs. No no no the stubborn bastard said. Next thing you know is that THREE cars from that moron's property ended up at the junkyard my friend worked at because of a warning the city inspector gave him. A turbo Corvair, the LOADED Big Block 66 Caprice wagon my friend wanted, and a clean shoebox Ford. My friend got the wagon from his Boss for $150. HUNDREDS less than he would've given his neighbor. Moral? People are fucking STUPID

7. frank spittle

frank spittle

As far as the crusher not selling a car for a profit in most cases it is not an asshole but a guy who is running an assembly line. And, if he sells you that car and it turns out someone else claims they own it he is in for a hassle with DMV. If it's crushed no problems. About 25 years ago I was returning from an auction in Georgia and a guy kept trying to get me to pull over. I had a '63 Galaxie Fastback I had purchased on my hauler and thought the guy was interested in buying it. When I stopped at a nearby rest area the guy claimed the car was his and demanded I unload it. He was really irate and demanded I let the police get involved. I showed him the legal ownership papers I received at the auction and gave him my business card. He tried to stop me from leaving but I went on and he followed me for miles. I expected the police to show up and pull me over. I was absolutely sure I was in for a legal battle as to who was the rightful owner. Never heard from the guy again. It's reasons like this they won't sell something they bought for the weight of it.

8. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I've only scrapped a handful of cars but they were all stripped of any usable parts and what was left wasn't much but of the 30-40 cars I've sold in the past six years I can't say any of the sales went easy, every time it was weeks of bs from dreamers or people just trying to lowball me to a ridiculous level. I had one guy threaten me to try to sell him my car by saying he was going to turn me into code enforcement if I didn't basically give him the car and I had one guy came here swearing up a storm about a car and finally left here peeling out in my driveway. From now on I don't really sell cars except on a limited basis and the past couple I sold were to friends.

9. Squablow

Squablow

A few hours ago I responded to an ad for a '68 Chevelle parts car, wanting to sell it whole or parts, ad said "I need this car gone" No price, no description, no pictures. Paid $600 for it, turned out to be a convertible, and complete with a title.

Granted, it's super rotted and will just get parted out, but that was a screamin' deal for a convert. I brought cash and it was a no hassle deal for the both of us.

It pays to follow up on some of these ads, if you show up with cash and a good attitude you can get great deals. The whole reason those ads come across poorly is that people are sick of dealing with bullshitters. So be the kind of buyer you'd want to sell to and you'll have more stuff than you know what to do with.

10. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Sounds like DE SOTO feels the same way I do and is having the same issue selling things as I am.
    Wonder how many others out there who don't belong to a car club have felt the same way and junked perfectly good cars due to BS agents ?:confused:

11. screwball

screwball

the stupidest car I have seen go into the crusher was a model A Woody I bet the scale guy laughed as it was a frame and partial body only. Im sure the wood was great for the smelter.

12. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

I bought a couple of Bugs from a friend of mine that took them apart and figured out he was in over his head. Word got around that I had this really nice body for cheap. Guy comes up and I offer it to him for $100! Cheap enough. He wants to tell me everything wrong with and asks me whats my bottom dollar. While hes still flapping his gums, I go in the shop and come out with a sawzall and a power cord. As I begin to cut the roof off, he says 'what are you doing?', I said if it isn't worth $100 I'll just cut it up. I did! Felt good too!

13. superbyrd

superbyrd
    BANNED

i found this to be an easy way to end un-needed BS and further conversation. i have done this a few times,and have had no problem turning around,and walking back in the house,and leaving an idiot standing in my driveway by himself.
    i had a car for sale for a $1000.00 or best offer. guy calls,ask a million questions,finally shows up,and when the guy gets here, he walks around the car once,then says "i have cash money right now,i'm ready to make a deal,what is the lowest you will take for it?" be fore i can even speak he says,"now remember,i have cash money,so be serious".
    so i tell the loser, show me right now that you have the $1000 on you in first place. because,if you didn't have the $1000 in the first place,you should have never called.
    guy couldn't produce the $1K,so,i turn and walk away.
    works every time.ends a bunch of stupid converation and haggling.
    here is a simple plan for buyers,and that includes folks on here as well. if there is a vehicle or something for sale,say for $1000, you have absolutely NO reason to call,poke,or bother that person if you do not have the $1000 in your possession. period.
    if you only have $600,and are hoping to get a better deal,then you still have NO reason to bother,because,you are the one bluffing. that makes YOU as bad as the people you are bitching about. thank about that.....

14. 61 chevy

61 chevy

i guess if it was a corvette, they cant say that, fiberglass isnt worth any money,

15. I just reciently sold a OT 94 blazer we used to drive it till the air cond compressor locked up. good engine trans four wheel drive new battery. Sold it for $600. oo. Guy drove it away. This guy told me how he was a mechanic has his license to work on air cond ect. I Told the buyer only thing I guarnteed was to take his money. Now He has called complaining & threatining about being cheated. It quit running and he want,s me to pay the $900 the shop wants to repair it. You can guess what I told him. Now he probably will spend $25 and file a lawsuit in small claims court. And he just might win! My wife says no more selling running cars . I should have crushed it. $300 from the crusher no hassle Vs $600 and a lawsuit. It can only take one negative experience to sour you on selling to the public. :mad: OldWolf

16. Its because we aere all born at night they seller just doesn't know that we weren't born last night.

Not to hijack but the other one that gets me is OBO. It doesn't really mean or best offer it is just filler.

17. Bill of sale stating it's a used car and sold as is solves that problem..

18. What I get is these guys that stop and want to buy something I'm working on. They always manage to catch me with my hands greasy and tools strung out all across the driveway.

I normally say its not forsale then they start in with this everything is for sale crap just shoot me a price. I usually give them some outragious price just the way it sits. Like 5K or something as if I would own anything worth that much. The next thing that comes out of their mouth is is it OK if my mechanic takes a look at it? My response is sure bring your mechnic and 5K cash. I'll need to see the cash before anyone takes a look at anything.

Getting back to the crusher thing. You got to buy it today because it goes to the crusher tomorrow. My grandad always said if it has to be done in a hurry it is because it is a hustle and when you do anything in haste you made a mistake.

19. racer32

racer32

I've learned something about selling cars, bikes, parts, and assorted other junk online. Take good pics, list a bit lower than fair-market price, and it'll be gone pronto. The people who are serious about buying will get there first and pay cash. I usually don't negotiate on price unless the person is standing in front of me, either. I'm also prone to telling low-ballers that I'll push something off in the ditch and watch it rust before I'll sell it to them. Seems to piss them off a bit, though.

On the buying end, I usually show up with cash and a trailer. If the price is right, I don't haggle. If I haggle, it's just part of the process of determining a fair price. If the seller is a jerk, I walk. I usually don't bother with "buy high or I'll crush it for scrap" sellers.

20. I like your attitude. :cool:

21. mattblack52

mattblack52
    from Ohio

I think if you go to look at a car advertised for $600 or scrap it for $300 and when you get there its worth buying. Give the guy $600. If its not worth that, it probably needs to be scrapped. And if you don't have the $600, you're broke and probably need to put your priorities in order.

At the end of the day you only paid $600 for a new project. No matter what kind of car it is that's a deal. And you saved one from the scrapper.

22. hartmen

hartmen
    BANNED

ive sold alot of cars. some ive offered at low prices around 300-800 price. mentioned in the ads they will be CUT UP and taken to crusher. ive had people also email me and said no i wouldnt blah blah balh.

well for those none believers out there. i have personally crushed well over 20 classics because people bs me around the block. i took off the important stuff like chrome or engines rear ends i can ship or flip easier than the whole car. then i cut up the rest or took a sledge hammer to them that way the crusher can not resell them. basically i made sure no one could savage one part off those cars. on top of that i removed all vin tags to make sure no one took those and i properly disposed of them also.

after i got done i sent the guys who bs me pictures of the car being crushed. some never responded and some came back to save the next car i was selling. no bs. just handed me the cash over and left. some told me srry for the harrasment.

i know of a few other guys who are the same way as me. had a guy come over a few days ago and told me my 2+2 fastback was a rustpile and should be crushed. i told him one more remark like that and he will never be able to come on my property ever again. regardless he didnt buy nothing. the mustang is in progess stage with a running 302 with 2 4's. i dont know what the helll some of these guys expect some times.

23. hartmen

hartmen
    BANNED

i always right a contract up if i sell a car. with the as is or garanteees written in it. that way no one can come back and do that. ive had a bad expereince like this also. best of luck though

24. i had a very solid roller 69 mustang coupe project for sale wanted 900 O.B.O it was worth it had several mustang guys look at it oh, yeah its worth it priced just about right told everyone of them to make and offer they WOULD NOT OFFEND ME nobody did had it for sale for a year
    all i had in the car was gas money from my house at the time to just north of columbus ohio about 145 miles each way or so and a reproduction front valance panel for a 69 mustang that came with another mustang coupe i had just parted out (i gave a hundred for that car and it came with alot of stuff i needed)

no one wanted to give me anything for it

one day a guy comes over to look at some wheels/tires i had on craigslist he looks around sees the mustangs and my 57 and says you a ford guy? yeah kinda he says you have any intrest in a60 thunderbird hardtop i about fainted i was like yes i do (my mom had a 60 when i was little fell in love with them been looking for one since i started driving) he said i have one for sale

long story short went to look at the bird negotiated a price told the guy id have to get rid of the 69 coupe before i could bring the bird home he siad fine i noticed he had a dump truck i asked if he hauled scrap he said yes i said bring the dump truck to my house this weekend and ill have you a load of scrap went to lowes bought a pack of sawzall blades came home and cut the coupe to pieces along with a rusted shell of a 69 fastback i had

piled them in the corner he came over loaded it up i told him whatever ever you get out of the load is yours the next day he brought me my 60 yay

if any of those mustang guys would of offered me 150.00 they would of had them a real nice project

25. I should go get some of those a AS IS forms that the used car dealers have, The old blazer was my wifes daily driver titled in my name. I have a witness that I stated as is. My oldest son is a lawyer He states he needs to have written proof of a guarntee so I think He wont win. Its just a hassle for a few hundred dollars. My wife says he is just a crybaby. Any way I have several OT & trucks cars that run. Im probably just gonna scrap them. The county is raising the taxes they want everything assessed. And If I sell anymore parts Im supposed to obtain a state sales tax number and get a dismantlers license fill out quarterly reports Ect. The Tax Collectors brother came by here when I was gone last week wanting to buy some parts. luckly my wife knew who he was and told him nothing is for sale its all just a hobby. Im really tempted to take the dozer dig a big hole and bury them. There comes a time when its more bother than enjoyment. any way probably wont have gas for them in a few years.:eek: OldWolf

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

27. LDGn63

LDGn63

Ive had 3 cars for sale (one here) for scrap price just hoping someone will buy them, get the parts they need and pass it on... So far 1 has sold to a guy who needed a trans and clutch setup to convert from auto. I was happy, he was happy.
    I've had more tire kickers and sent more pics of "this n that" on my car listed here than anything. I thought sure a Y-block guy would snatch it up if for nothing but the complete AC unit! I really don't think the parts are worth my time to part it out myself but I may just have to find out! Because I REALLY don't wanna crush it!

28. been to Rifkin before.. did you seriously scrap that or did someone else?

29. Harms Way

Harms Way

30. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

well for those none believers out there. i have personally crushed well over 20 classics because people bs me around the block. i took off the important stuff like chrome or engines rear ends i can ship or flip easier than the whole car. then i cut up the rest or took a sledge hammer to them that way the crusher can not resell them. basically i made sure no one could savage one part off those cars. on top of that i removed all vin tags to make sure no one took those and i properly disposed of them also.

Kinda sounds like your going out of your way just to be an ass, or prove a point to people you dont even know. I get where youre coming from but destroying stuff just so no one else gets it..Thats just silly, make your money and move on, dont destroy something that could help further this hobby for future generations, they aint exactly making this stuff anymore ya know!!