Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chev 327 mis-matched numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goleafsgo_12, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hi guys, I recently picked up a 327 from a familly member. They have had the engine over 30 years and never got around to doing anything with it so they passed it on to me. It's untouched and original. Here's where things get interesting.

I ran all of the casing numbers, stamped ID numbers, etc. The block casting number is 3903352. This checks out to be a 1964-1967, 327cid, 2 bolt mains, 210-350hp, used in cars only. The casting date is C297, this checks out to be March 29th, 1967. Ok, so it's a '67, cool.

Next, I ran the stamped engine id suffix code. K0707HC. This checks out.. but only partially. K - built in Canada. 0707, built on July 7th. HC...?!?!? The only 2 letters that HC relate to are a 1965 327cid, and a 1969 350cid (as per nastyz28.com)

Does anybody know what HC may be in my case? The heads are #3917291 (double bump, '67-'69)

Thanks

2. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I checked my 1967 Motorbook and it came up Chevrolet HC= 327-with P/G-1965-1967. And K= St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada.Good luck

3. Thanks for checking for me! I wonder why the other site was saying 65/69.. Wierd.. also, what did you mean by "P/G", powerglide? Any mention about what type of vehicle, or horsepower?

Thanks

4. I believe the date (0707) is a julian calendar date translating to the 70th day of 67, which would have been March 11 (Saturday btw) which is very much inline with the 3/29 build date

5. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Can't believe everything your read on the internet, some people just get it wrong.

6. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Yea, P/G is powerglide and it was for a full size Chevy car. Didn't say what HP it was. Sorry

7. Thanks for the help

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The numbers I came up with are 1967 Impala 327/275hp 4 barrel Quadrajet with a Powerglide tranny.

The heads are 1967-1969 Camaro, Z28,Nova, Chevelle, Corvette.

But they could have used those heads on an Impala.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

The only way that info about engine numbers gets onto the internet, is that people who want to help others by sharing it, go to the trouble to type it in. They usually are interested in something that's not exactly what you're interested in...so don't be surprised if a Camaro site does not have all the info correct on mid 60s full size car engine codes.

10. Interesting, so you think that the heads have been swapped out for the double bump style from a stock setup?

11. Also, the manifold that I got with the engine (it was in a box, unbolted from the heads) has part number 346250 and E277. Based on what I've found, it was for a 1976-1982 302/350 and fits a 4 barrel Qjet.. Could it be for this engine or is it an upgrade that was attempted later on?

12. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Read my post, I didn't say they weren't stock. They could have used those heads from the factory.

13. squirrel

squirrel

Late model intake--probably just a lame intake that someone put on the engine for whatever reason.

Look at the date codes on the heads, if they're close to the block dates, they could be original. But heads often got switched in the old days, you pull the heads off, take them to the machine shop, they give you a pair of "done" heads.

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

It's for a 305-350, not a 302. And yes, it came off a later model engine...1976-1981.

15. Thanks for the input. As for the heads, all I could find was the casting number. The block had the stamped ID tag on the deck surface, but the heads only had a casting number in the rocker valley. Will the heads have a stamped ID badge that matches the block? If so, where? As for the casting number on the heads, any double bump head ending with ###291, was intended for a 327 I believe, unless there is another way to distinguish that specific heads went with specific blocks.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The head thing is and was very often the case. Especially if the car had engine work at a shop that didn't do it's own machine work and want to have the car torn down in the shop long enough for the machine shop to do the heads that came off it. Someone probably took the old 67 Chebby to the repair shop at one time because it ran rough. It needed a valve job so the shop called Joe over at the machine shop and ordered a set of heads for it and sent the original heads back exchange the next the parts truck went to town.

17. squirrel

squirrel

strange...I don't think I've ever seen sbc heads without a casting date.

18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

right below the casting number 291, there shoud be a letter and 3 numbers...that's the date code.

example: E057 is May 5th 1967

19. Ah right, yes the date is there. I thought to be looking for a stamped ID number as opposed to a casting number. It is period correct. Woo!

20. Unless you are trying to "restore" it, I would go for a better intake anyway! Lot's of nice vintage aluminum intakes at swapmeets, if you are looking for "period correct".

By the way, I believe they are called "double-hump" or "camel-hump" heads.

21. Yep, for the intake I'll do something other then stock. The heads are original, and did belong to the motor, so I guess they would be called "original" instead of period correct. I'm still undecided on a fuel injection or carburetor setup.

22. squirrel

squirrel

If you can score a 327 rochester fuel injection setup, that would be a fun way to go....otherwise, put a Holley 4bbl on it.