Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is a free - really free?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigeasy, Apr 7, 2011.

1. bigeasy

bigeasy

I have a brand new crate 350 SBC and 700r tanny with a ford 9 inch rear end in my 1946 Chevy panel truck. It has a new exhaust system, and a new aluminum hot rod radiator conversion for a 46 chevy truck.

My friend just bought a brand new 540ci engine for his 72 Chevelle and wants to give me his 1972 Chevelle's 454 and th400 tranny. The old motor was recently "gone over" and updated with solid lifters for the resto-mod he was doing when his son talked him into buying this new 540ci.

The new engine goes in, and he is offering me his old refurbished engine and tranny.

I'm thinking it's a generous offer - but now I'm wondering what will I have to change to put his engine in my 46 Chevy truck? The fire wall on my truck was moved back to make room for the 350. A cross member was removed to make room for the 700r tranny. The frame was boxed.

Will I have to weld new engine mounts, buy a bigger radiator, exhaust system? Will the Ford 9 inch be okay, new drive shaft? God what else am worrying about that I don't have to, or what else should I be thinking about?

So is free really free? I'm thinking of passing on the offer - should I?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wow, the set up you have sounds pretty good-depends if cubic inches/more torque is that important to you-likely could sell all of your current stuff to pay for the new installation-the front end suspension you have up to the extra weight? frame/rear suspension up the new torque? is another new drive train the only thing your ride needs? your call.

3. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Man.....NEVER pass up the opportunity for a FREE motor. It's a good tinker project in-between other things, or when you get frustrated with a build. It's also good to have around in case you want to trade it for something you REALLY need.

TAKE IT!!!!! :)

4. milo1303s

milo1303s

I don't believe you have to ask this Question !!!

5. paintcan54

paintcan54

Free will always cost some thing.

6. 41fred207

41fred207

it's a big block!! cram it in and hold on!! i would take him up on it if he is sincere. selling or trading off a gift would be like a slap in his face.

7. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

IMHO unless your truck is woefully underpowered or for some reason it doesn't meet your needs, I'd say thank you very much but I'll help you sell it. I'll bet that he doesn't want to deal with that part. He sounds like a real generous guy and your engine swap is already done.

8. maybe just take the combo and use it for a different project someday....but then I guess your friend could do the same thing huh?

9. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The 454 only needs some extra room forward of the motor mounts, your current firewall should handle it just check for valve cover clearance. It will bolt to the same trans and engine mounts as the small block did.

It might need a bigger radiator but maybe not, it will need different headers. Everything else should be fine.

Just do it.

10. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

If you want a big block, go for it.As far as motor mounts and trans mount the big block will fit where the small block is. You might have firewall issues.

11. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I think you can NEVER have too much power! If the TH700 can handle the torque you can run that and make for a little less work. I would run the big block.

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You mean to tell me you don't have another project waiting that would be a perfect fit for that big block...??? I thot everyone had at least one more project waiting in the shed...!!!

R-

13. 61 chevy

61 chevy

take it , but let him know that you may sell it later, or you want have a friend for long, free is free, and it yours to do as is,

14. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

free is my favorite price ever!

15. Ever hear the story about Don't look a gift horse in the mouth? HRP

Meaning

Don't be ungrateful when you receive a gift.

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

dam HRP..i read the title and same thought came to mind,, I rolled down and there it was^^^

Oh and to the OP..that sucker would already be on My engine stand in my garage ..Yesterday!

some people would bitch if you gave them free money:rolleyes:

17. 41fred207

41fred207

image in my crystal ball say's he will ! 1-car + 2 power plants = 1 more car.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

A stock 700R4 behind a solid lifter 454? Bring a broom...

19. Agreed !!

20. Gerrys

Gerrys

Too much work. Send it to me. :)

21. If you aren't going to use it, I wouldn't take it.

As for actually using it ... why bother? If your panel already has a new SB in it, what's the point? Extra weight on the front end, might need a larger rad, fuel mileage is gonna suck, exhaust will need to be reconfigured some, probably won't come with alt/power steering brackets etc ... and the benefit is what?

Oooooohhhhh Aaaahhhhhhh:eek:, a big block .... whatever:rolleyes:.

22. subdajj

subdajj

Everything is free unless you pay for it>

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

If you're in doubt about getting the motor then I'll take it!

24. firingorder1

firingorder1

Maybe you could talk him into installing it for you.

25. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

FREE is goooooood ....LEAVE THE SMALL BLOCK IN & FIND ANOTHER PROJECT FOR THE BIGGIE. MY $.02
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

26. bigeasy

bigeasy

Guys, thanks. draggin'GTO and bbtom30 you pretty much answered my question about making it all work...it sounds like if a crate 350/700r fits then a 454 with a 400th will too - maybe some minor adjustments othewise nothing too major. Good.

This guy isn't a project collector (like some of us are). He feels trying to sell off his engine for less than what it should bring on e-bay is a bigger waste of time and effort for him than giving it away to a friend who might be able to use it.

27. Well you don't have to change motor mounts or rear end. The drive shaft will need to be shortened I believe, you'll have to build a tranny mount. Don't know what all has been done to the 454 but the radiator should be sufficient unless the big engine runs real hot to start with and or the radiator was marginal for the small block.The 9" should hold up just fine.

The 454 is longer from the motor mounts forward, if that helps.

I would probably do it but I have been known to change directions mid stream so you can't really go by what I would do.

28. Weasel

Weasel

Putting in a 454 with a TH400 is a retrograde step IMO - you have a combo that works - if it ain't broke don't fix it. Tell your buddy you would love to have the engine trans but you'll use it in another project when you find one.

I disagree with Porknbeaner here - you'll have to change the rear end ratio as well if you want to drive this thing and not have it running high rpm. Think gas prices....

29. bigeasy

bigeasy

Thanks guys.

His offer is very generous, buuut I didn't want to change the path I'm on now....so.....now we have a project.

I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I just couldn't see doing this at this point in my build. I listened to both sides and I was very tempted to shit can what I got and strap that engine in.

I wrote him back and asked if he wanted to collaborate on a low down stripped down bagged 40's something truck?

We're both near finished with our current rides and this will be a fun project to work on.

Way cool for me and him.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Did he mention the rear axle ratio? Did I miss that?