Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Chevy 2 Door Sedan Full Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by custom100, Apr 7, 2011.

1. custom100

custom100

Well here we go again! I've been part of the HAMB for a few years now. I recently did a build thread on putting air suspension on my 57 F100 and after I regretted not doing a full build thread on it from the day I brought it home. Well, I sold my Effie to fund my next project which is a 1955 Chevy 2 door sedan. After searching for a while I bought a REALLY straight, REALLY rust free car from a guy in Hesperia, CA and got it back to my shop!

My plans for the car are to build a mild custom with some hot rod influence. I'm thinking the whole body one color with the roof done off white. Wide whites with 57 Cad hubcaps. Tuck & Roll interior done to match the paint, and It HAS to be low! Under the hood I want to do a 58-62 Cad 390 built a little and put a manual 5 or 6 speed behind it. The rest I'll figure out as I go.:D

Here are some pictures of the car on the trailer and one just stuck into it's new home. I have the whole front clip (rust free) and all the trim. The only things I'm missing are the back seat (let me know if you've got one laying around:D) and the windshield. I'm gonna take lots of pics as I go and I would love any kind of info, opinions, or things to look out for from the guys who have messed with these before.

Attached Files:

2. cool man, looking forward to seeing this come together!!
    tri-fives are one of the easiest cars to work with. everything is readily available for them and they were built with simplicity in mind, so you don't really run into anything out of the ordinary, unless you go really crazy with it. the only issue i've had with mine was door fitment. i just can't seem to get them totally flush top to bottom at the back. probably a case of the doors not being totally straight, though. the roll down rear windows can be a pain, but i'm also trying to work with old worn out junk for parts. use all new stuff and you probably won't have an issues.

3. I just got a '55 2 door post this weekend too! I'll be starting a build thread later.....good luck with yours!

4. Looks like you got a good car in need of a little TLC.

What model is it?

5. Jay71

Jay71

Mild custom 55? I like the sound of that. Looking forward to the build pics.

6. i'd bet 210 judging by where the trim holes are/aren't.

7. custom100

custom100

It is a 210. It has the roll down back windows. I'm thinking about doing belair rear trim though. We'll see when I get there.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Needs alot of work, let me take it off your hands :D.

9. Butch M

Butch M

looks like a good one love to watch these builds. love 55 chevys

10. LDGn63

LDGn63

Yummy!
    Godspeed!

11. UncleJoey

UncleJoey

Nice score. Good luck with it. I'll be watchin from the sidelines.

12. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

looks like a good one,like your game plan,go easy on the custom 55 210 sedan already look gooood,like low,cady caps are cool, GOOD-LUCK

13. custom100

custom100

I spent the weekend pulling everything off and out of the car. All the glass, trim, regulators, heater, and dash parts. Everything left on the car needs to be stripped and primed. Any suggestions on how to get it stripped the rest of the way? I know how to do it by hand, but I was thinking soda blasting or getting it dipped? Any experiences with this? I've never had either done. I've heard that straight sand blasting is bad for the car.

14. media blasting is a good method.
    i've never seen the acid dip done or know anyone that has used it, so i can't speak to it's positives and negatives.
    sand blasting is a no-no. it's too easy to chew up good metal.

15. firemangordy

firemangordy

Derek,
    I had the front sheet metal on my daughters '55 dipped and the rest of the car walnut shelled. They used a different media for any areas that had surface rust. It came out great.

Attached Files:

16. saw that one on craigslist also, $8k..... just didn't have the time to go check it out... good luck with the build

17. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

I'm subscribed, I'll be watching this one.