Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever Backfire So Hard You Break Something?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36DodgeRam, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Damaged the Power Valve, in the Carb. When that happens, it runs Rich.

2. schwerko

schwerko
    from bristol ct

Made a couple of ''brand new'' oval mufflers, into round ones, once...

3. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Only a muffler.

4. I have broken numerous Chevy starters from a back fire. I blew all the vacuum plugs off my carbs once.

5. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Had a 66 Pontiac wagon a while back. Trying to get it started on a cold-assed Kansas winter day with starting fluid, it back fired and split the muffler down the seam. It made a really funny booooooig sound right after the explosion.

6. I had given my big block Nova stock car a shot of starting fluid to wake it up after the winter's nap... shattered the nose cone right off the starter. Threw the can of starting fluid out after that episode.

Bob

7. Try having a backfire through the exhaust on a military base...sounded like the opening shot of WWIII! Got the attention of a LOT of people in the parking lot!

8. My Ranchero backfired out the passenger manifold and it split the hear riser in half and blew the muffler apart.

9. ElTejano

ElTejano

Had a buddy up the road that happened to. He leaned over the carb trying to mess with it and BOOM, a big ass fire ball came out taking half his eyebrows, lashes and some of his hair. Burnt hair stinks.

Car didnt catch fire and he was OK. Only injuries were from us laughing so hard that my stomach hurt.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago I had a couple of guys drag a car into the shop that they and been trying to do a tune up on that had the valve covers stretched off the bolts and the pan swollen up to the point that I had to use the bfh to get it back in shape enough to get the bolts out. The one that had been leaning over the engine didn't have any eyebrows and had singed hair and a good flash burn.

The best I have been able to do lately is put a new muffler on the wife's OT car and have it blow in two the third day she drove it.

11. Brother's Ford Pinto - new timing belt, ignition timing was off a bunch, leaning over the carb to turn the distributor and I lost and eyebrow and burn my nose.

Other brother's pickup - that guy could fuck anything up - wet wires, flooded, he held it to the floor and cranked and cranked and finally it backfired and blew the choke shut, jamming the butterfly in the casting, now it REALLY wouldn't start.

A guy's Camaro we did a valve job, hotter cam, 4 barrel, headers and duals. Needle stuck in the carb (or had some crap in it) and we cranked it for a while with no fire. Fixed the carb and still no fire. The fancy new coil on the HEI wasn't producing any spark, so we put the stocker back in. Cranked half a turn and BOOOOMMMM! Brand new thrush turbo 400 muffler (just one of them) split right where the end cap goes on. Any dust sitting on the rafters in the garage was floating through the air now, and Bro and I couldn't hear very much. Neighbour across the road came running over to see who shot who and laugh at us. I hammered the seam shut on the muffler and brazed it together. Worked fine. About a month later the owner of the Camaro proved he couldn't handle the newfound power and wrapped it around a telephone pole, so just as well we didn't bother to replace the muffler.

Ballooned a few mufflers, but nothing like that cannon fire! :eek:

12. Back fires can be very destructive.... be ready to flinch...!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SQLO2b3TrsY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z0aROJz2VGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. I thought I was the only person to blow off a muffler. I put it back on and then started blowing it apart. :)

14. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

You ate at the same taco stand!??

15. When I was 16 I had the $ saved to buy my dream car; a 55 chevy with a built 265 and 4 speed. The body was a little edgy but painted Honduras Maroon. The perfect car for $375. My parents didn't see it my way. "Why do you want an old car like that? (1964) So my uncle worked for a Chevy dealership as the used car manager. He sold my dad a perfect '58 Impala; baby blue and white with a power-slide. The link to this story is, it was too quiet! So I figured out how to get some glass packs. I'd keep it in low, hit about 30 or 40, take my foot off the gas and turn the key off for a second. Turn the key back on and BOOOM! I was getting some sp;itting of the seams and a bit better sound each time.
    Well one Sunday, after church, with a car full of girls and pop and goodies sitting on the floor I waited just a little too long to re-power. The explosion was so huge it blew open the pop bottles that were on the floor. Pop was all over everyone and now I had no mufflers and no girl-friends (temporarily) but I got my glass-packs! Getting a 4-speed wasn't quite as dramatic -

16. One winter I started my Impala & it kept dying. I guess I flooded it badly, becuase when I cranked & it fired, it backfired & blew off one valve cover, the other was barely hanging on. Looked as if they were simply torn off the motor

17. cal1320

cal1320
    from Florida

Back in high school we discovered we could terrorize the town with backfires. While cruising along we would:
    1- drop down to a lower gear and wind it up
    2-turn off the key and let the engine compression brake down
    3-turn on the key and laugh your ass off when it goes boom.
    Scared the hell out of a bunch of folks.
    Regular mufflers would only last a few times before self destructing. Glass packs were the ticket and would shoot out a 3' flame to boot.:eek:

I know it was childish and juvinile back then and I wouldn't do it today...........or would I?;)

18. ElTejano

ElTejano

19. BJR

BJR

Only once, after eating 12 White Castles and 2 orders of fries.

20. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Had a colonoscopy the other day and backfired a whole bunch afterwards, didn't break anything, but you're probably talking about a backfire in a car....yeah done that too.:D