Register now to get rid of these ads!

Started my 55 plymouth gasser project today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellsgaterods, Mar 8, 2011.

1. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

i recieved the rockers (inner and outer) and all four floor pans today. so ill probably start installing them tomorrow wheather permitting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I had a buddy in hi school back in the 60's who had a mid 50's Plymouth sedan and he painted it black top, black below the side chrome, and fire engine red above the trim and hood/trunk lid. That two tone black/red/black was just a real eye catching theme! He was runnig chrome reverse with baby moons and a pretty stout 383. It was so cool!

3. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

cut out some of the rusty floorboard and sized up the rocker panel install[​IMG]

installed the drivers side inner and outter rocker panel today and welded in the patch panel in the trunk over the spare tire well.[​IMG]

4. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

Great build! I am in the sniffle of converting my 55 Dodge Coronet to a gasser as well.
    I pulled the 270, and am finishing the 383 to start to adapt into it. Will go with a 727 auto this time although the 4 spd would be period correct. I will try to figure out how to post pictures....great work on yours so far, making great progress...

5. lookin good, that tin will sure shine when your all done. you plan on blastin the area and por15'n the under cairrage and floor? how do you seal up your metal work and floors? i use por extensivly on all my projects, it lays out real smooth .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  6. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

took a break today, cold and rainy. and went up to michigan to a guys house searching for some parts for the 55. i get there and he has 20 55 and 56 plymouths, a 4 door wagon, two 2 door wagons, a few 2 door hard tops, a few four doors, and a convert. one was an old police chief car (2 door) black and white with a hemi that needs restored. i had a great time looking at all the cars. i wanted to ask if i could take some pics, but i didnt want to offend him either ( didnt get my parts yet, lol). it was nice meeting a great older car guy that loves the old plymouths. now i just need to sell some stuff and got get my parts!

7. hotrodhillbilly23

hotrodhillbilly23
    from Indiana

Hey, If you let me know a day in advance, I'll ride along next trip and help load parts :) I'd like to see the 2 door Kaiser......

Got to thinkin' maybe the 413 would be a cooler engine than the 440? Seein's how ya got both layin around!

8. mt94ss

mt94ss

^^^^ 413 with a cross ram! That would be COOL! A super-stock '55.

Mike

9. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

Cool project!
    That body style will make for a great looking gasser.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

This would be such an awesome combination and if coupled with a New Process 4spd or pushbutton Torqueflite I dont think anyone would take a second look at a '55-57 Chevy/Muncie 4spd. Keep posting...........this one is going to put cool into orbit.

Frank

11. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

When I lived in Philly, Pa. I found out quik it was cheaper and wiser to buy from a dry climate and pay less for shipping than it would cost for patch panels. For every spot of rust you see there are 10-12 hiding.

12. hotrodhillbilly23

hotrodhillbilly23
    from Indiana

Not all of us have been considered wise! I would rather save a rusty one than see it go to the crusher! and leave the "easy" fixes for someone else.
    I agree 413 cross ram 4 spd!
    (Still think it would have been a cool shine runner!)

13. sololobo

sololobo

Man, Pontiac and Plymouth gassers being done on here. I thought of Animals tu-door post the inute this came on and up he pops with some great pix. I missed the H.A.M.B. drags the year he had the car there, thats the parking lot shots at the Joplin hotel in the thread. I dream about doing my 56 PLymouth tu-door wagon into a gasser race car a lot. But dreaming is about all I get done these broke ass days. Rock on dudes, thanx for carrying the tourch proudly held high. ~sololobo~

14. fitzee

fitzee

I can never get enough Gasser projects. This will be a interesting car.

15. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

im just as broke as you are buddy, i lost my job a few months ago and the only way i have money for the build is by selling stuff. i buy and sell things all the time to make money for my projects, it keeps my wife off my back about money and that way i feel im not putting a whole lot of money into something if its money i got buyin and sellin. id love to see you do something with that wagon, those old wagons are way kool!

16. hotrodhillbilly23

hotrodhillbilly23
    from Indiana

decided if you're going to radius the wheelwells or not? (I'm kinda thinkin ya need to!)

17. It cracks me up when you guys south of here complain about having to replace floors and rockers - we would kill for a body that good up here.

18. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

im pretty sure im going to radius the wheel wells. hopefully ill go get my parts monday or tuesday.

19. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

this is a great build so far, need more pics!

20. slobroy

slobroy

Love them mopars, Keep it up, at the rate your going you'll race'n by mid season...

21. mt94ss

mt94ss

I found your cross ram at the Portland swap meet yesterday. There wasn't anyone there to get a price. These have to be torque monsters! Look at those runners!

Also saw this museum piece, yours for only $33k!

Keep going on the build. It's looking good.

Mike

Attached Files:

22. hotrodhillbilly23

hotrodhillbilly23
    from Indiana

he's struggling with a color scheme... lets see some ideas!

23. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Exactly what I was thinking........Good Luck on the build

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Mike, there was actually two of those crossrams at the swap meet! One out at PIR and one in the Expo. The one inside was marked $3500, and I thought it would have been gone to a Mopar guy at that price.

25. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

people are on crack with that price. ive had three sets of those cross rams. have never paid over $600 for any of them, one set i bought for $450 and they were even powder coated! they would look cool, but i dont think i could afford to feed them,lol. picked up a windshield and some other parts for the 55 this week. hopefully itll be nice out and ill get some more work done to it this weekend and post some more pics.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  26. daddylama

daddylama

think this is the one he wanted $1500 for.
    then there was the one inside for ~$3k.

i had one i bought years ago at Pomona for $200. shoulda kept it.

27. CTC in Texas has a 56 hardtop with the poly engine in it for $2400 i think. Your dream could sorta come true a year later

28. really cool!! i never see that vintage mopar around here. definitely looks like it's going to be a cool ride.

29. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

well today i got the front and rear floor pans welded in. took a little massaging on them since they were from a guy on epay. but they really didnt go in too hard. i have a few more patches ill have to fabricate and weld in. cutting out all the rusted areas. i got a couple of the patch panels made and installed also, ill get pics up as soon as the drivers side is done. then ill move over and start on the passenger side. thanks again for all the good comments, it really keeps a guy motovated!