Register now to get rid of these ads!

MIG to MIG with GAS(ARGON)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by capten icon, Apr 6, 2011.

1. capten icon

capten icon
    from Lodi

Hello,

Today my Dad and I got a kit for our Lincoln WeldPak 100 Mig wirefeed to convert it to using gas by adding the solenoid to spray in argon for a cleaner weld. Set it all up to the directions that came with the kit.

Problem is when welding, it makes a constant popping noise and the weld doesn't come out as smooth as it seems it should. I know there will be comments made about my skills in welding but that honestly isn't the case. Checked the inner flap of the weldpak to see what setting I should have the welder set to, tried all of the variations and adjusted the pressure of the Argon too. Same thing.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know the exact pressure I should adjust the gas to? Anyone know how to fix it? Haha. Thank you all for your time.

-Pete

2. Harris

Harris

Did you swap the positive/negative hookups?

3. capten icon

capten icon
    from Lodi

4. honkey84

honkey84
    from IL

If you guys are using Argon as a shielding gas on steel thats your problem. You need to use a mix of carbon dioxide and argon such as 80/20.

5. capten icon

capten icon
    from Lodi

Got this from Lincoln's website.

K610-1 MIG Conversion Kit for the WELD-PAK —
    Complete kit for use with .025" (0.6 mm) electrode wire
    and either CO2 or Argon-mixed gas. Includes .025-.030"
    (0.6-0.8 mm) cable liner, two .025" (0.6 mm) contact tips,
    gas nozzle, 2 lb. spool of .025" (0.6 mm) L-56 electrode,
    gas regulator, gas hose, regulator adapter for CO2 cylinders and gas solenoid assembly, with all necessary hardware and easy instructions for installing gas solenoid.
    Use with .030" (0.8 mm) wire requires additional .030"
    (0.8 mm) contact tip and electrode wire.

We got this kit from California Welder's Supply. Guy sold us the kit and the Argon. Said we could use the Argon OR CO2, just as the excerpt from Lincoln says.

6. did you change the wire to solid core?

7. gsport

gsport

that, and make sure you have a good ground

8. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

9. gsport

gsport

and either CO2 or Argon-mixed gas. Includes .025-.030"
    it says Argon-mixed gas, you don't want straight Argon... most common is 75/25 mix

10. CRYOMAN

CRYOMAN
    from so cal

straight argon is for aluminum. Go trade your bottle back to the guy you got it from for a steel mix (mixes vary by supplier) or straight co2. You get more gas from a c02 tank as it contains liquid c02 versus just gas in the mix and a slightly hotter weld but, it makes a little more spatter than the mix.
    Straight c02 is cheaper than the mix as well.

11. Straight argon welds funny.
    Double check the polarity,

Just to check your welder, switch back to flux core with proper polarity and make sure it welds as before.

12. honkey84

honkey84
    from IL

13. capten icon

capten icon
    from Lodi

We did change the wire. Had a good ground. Metal was clean. Must be what you guys are saying, needs to be mixed Argon. I do appreciate everyone's help. I can lay a decent bead with basic MIG, but I don't know all the fine details to this new setup. Appreciate it.

-Pete

14. G. Anderson

G. Anderson
    from MN.usa

"CO2 or Argon-MIXED gas" 75% CO2/25% Argon. (I think)
    Pure Argon is the worst gas for your setup
    Pure Argon for TIG welding.
    The guy from California Welders Supply, have him double check!!!

For most of the stuff you will be doing (up to3/8") use the smaller wire .023-.025.
    That works really well on sheet metal.
    You want the sound of sizzeling bacon...........hhmmmmm....I'm hungry...BACON!!!

Your Pal, Gary

15. hartmen

hartmen
    BANNED

from my experience its not the gas. its the wire speed. back the wire feed off a little.

as far as the gas is concern at my work we use argon for steel. works fine. we also use the mixed gas also. its just the welders preference on which one we use. some use the co2 also.

16. X2
    from your description I would also suspect wire feed (my $0.02 )

17. does the wire feed wheel have a smaller notch for the wire to run in? mine has to be flipped when you change wire size otherwise it slips.

18. JonF

JonF

[/QUOTE] as far as the gas is concern at my work we use argon for steel. works fine. we also use the mixed gas also. its just the welders preference on which one we use. some use the co2 also.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to piss in your soup about this, but I really really doubt your shop is mig welding steel with straight argon. Most light metal fab shops use a mix of argon and CO2 like the guy said 75/25. Heavy fab with mig and .045 solid wire might use 92% argon with 8% CO2, but you will still see some CO2 most of the time.

19. winner, also as said before, make sure you are not trying to cram a lot of wire into the weld

20. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I agree with these dudes. mixed gas is what you need. If your beads look like lava rock..like termites ate it..aka Holey and crappy...the gas is your problem. Also check with your finger and ear that gas is coming out the tip.

21. gas mixture is basically a cost issue, unless you are welding some strange metals, personally I have welded with a number of gases, most recently pure helium because thats what I had. poor gas coverage will leave you with porous welds. doesnt sound like your problem to me.. if your feed drive wheels are for solid wire, then I would suspect wire feed speed and your weld speed.. post up some pics

22. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

:confused: Not true.

23. 61bone

61bone

Also check with your finger and ear that gas is coming out the tip.

Ignore that advice! I personally stuck a wire through my finger doing that and I know a man who stuck the wire through his eardrum. Use a cup of water.

24. F8TL

F8TL

also check the tip... change it out and see if you don't have some crap in it... i use 95/5 at work for steel, but i don't have to buy it either...

25. tig master

tig master
    from up north

You need argon/co2 mix 75/25 80/20 for steel with mig. Straight argon with mig is for aluminum only.Never mind all the wannabe welders. Go back to lws and get the correct gas its just that simple.

Tig.

26. I can't comment regarding the use of straight argon for MIG ... I have only ever used (ever been sold) the mix for MIG, but I have heard of people getting a bad tank of gas though.

Holy Crap ... "ran a MIG wire through his eardrum" ... WTF.

I would also like to add that I would never EVER pull the trigger on an electic welder while dipping the tip into a cup of water ... water and electric welding is NOT a good combination.

I am going to assume that "cup of water" comment was a joke ...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  27. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Straight argon is mostly for TIG welding. I'd get a mix.

28. Darwin Awards nominees.
    Hold the tip next to your ear, not pointing in!!!

29. I dont recall YOU saying it was pure argon. even if, mild steel can be welded with 100% argon, penetration isn,t as good- 25 % oxygen helps with wetting and arc stabilizing is all..but, if you did get 100% argon try a mixed gas like the manuf. recommended. if its still crappy u can hold a piece of tissue paper in front of the nozzle and check for gas flow. but I would assume you r getting that or your welds would be porous as hell and would curl up on the end like on of those old 4th of july snakes.

30. capten icon

capten icon
    from Lodi

I want to thank all of the responses from you guys. It really helped. After the responses I got yesterday, double checked the gas today, it was straight Argon. Called the welders supply where we got it from, guy said we needed the mixed Argon. Said we could return the bottle and get the right one, no charge. So we did. Tried it when we got back, runs like a dream. Thanks for all your help HAMBers. We really do appreciate it.

-Pete