Register now to get rid of these ads!

welders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wade57, Feb 3, 2011.

1. weldoriam1

weldoriam1

As a welder since '78, my fav welder is the miller 210, it was like miller took the 185, fixed everything and called it 210, now miller calls it the 211. Buy it with the alum. spool gun and it makes a good alum. wire welder. As far as TIG, don't try to teach yourself, its too hard. Go to comm. college and take a class, it wsill save you a lot of time and money. My TIG welder is the lincoln w/thumb control, no foot control, its too hard to weld out of position.

2. Uhh? It's not that hard to learn how to TIG on one's own. Yeah, taking a class can help and speed things up, but it's not necessary at all. A class can't replace practice.

3. honkey84

honkey84
    from IL

I've got a couple different ones. Started out as nothing but Miller, but I've had a mix of them over the years. Current setup is Lincoln 225 TIG, great machine! Lincoln MP350 w/ a panther push/pull gun, Awesome machine can weld aluminum and crank out TIG like welds on a MIG. Miller XMT 304 Multi process machine, has a carbon arc setup, and water cooled torch setup for TIG. Thermal Dynamics Cut Master 52 plasma. Assorted victor O/A torches.

4. bill wallace

bill wallace

Miller welding has vids for most welding process's & Jesse James has a good book on welding but nothing can replace working with instruction just to get those basics. There are several things that are common sense that many folks overlook when starting out especially with tig. The position of the part to be welded, how much heat to use, & you cant weld what you cant see.

5. Scott Hightower

Scott Hightower
    from Georgia

I'm a bit of a Miller fan but a lot of my pals use Lincoln.

Scott
    welders360

6. bauschracing

bauschracing

My stick welder is a 1947 westinghouse that welds as good as new and then I have a Lincoln 180 MIG welder.
    I would love to step up to TIG, but I can not justify the expense as a hobby.
    Mike

7. oj

oj

I am so lucky to own the best machine ever made, the one that all the new digital machines are compared against - the Miller 330A/BP, when i fire this fucker up nobody is stupid enough to ask about penetration yet it'll weld those aluminum beer cans together.
    For the past 20 years i have looked for another of these machines to have for spare parts - never have seen another, anybody that has one won't cut it loose i guess.

Attached Files:

8. salf100

salf100

Has anyone used Eastwoods new welfare and plasma cutter? Seen videos on YouTube and they look great.

Now using and od Lincoln 150 mig and love it!

9. customs by jason

customs by jason

ive been looking to the new eastwood tig saw the youtube video of it looks ok but the torch end doesnt have the control to change the amps on it. id like to have a miller tig but dont have the money for it. i got a lincoln mig and love it had it for 5 or 6 yrs never had a problem with it.

10. indyjps

indyjps

Matco 160 220V, with stitch and spot settings.

Was ready to buy a Miller 211 when this came along at a very good price. low useage from a part time body shop, real happy with it. if it shits out Ill give Miller a call.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always keep an eye out for used welders in your local classifieds and on craigslist. The economy is still pretty rough, and people are still selling. Deals can be had. Most major brands stock parts for machines a few generations back, so they can still be serviced, if need be. I have seen Miller TIG machines going for relatively small money, like 1/2 price, on a 2-year-old unit.

12. I swear by my lincoln 220 buzz box, will weld anything ya need it to, thin stuff is a little tricky, but doable, payed $150 for it like 4 years ago and its been great, what I like about it is i can weld 1/2" plate out in the nastiest weather, If I needed to.

13. gtkane

gtkane

I have a Blue Point MIG, cuz I could get it financed.
    I just picked up a LKS stick welder...in fact, it was the first welder that I learned to use about 25 years ago!

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Taught myself OA welding with Victor stuff over 45 years ago. Wore out several Miller Mig machines in my fab shop over a 20+year span. When I closed the shop I bought a Hobart Mig (seems to match the Miller on quality weld, don't know how it will last because I'll be dead before it gives up). Got a Lincoln 200/300 for Tig work. It's an old machine so it doesn't have all of the new bells an whistles but it does a quality job and it will outlast me.

Frank

15. metalman

metalman

My 30+ year old Airco 165 finally gave it up a year or so ago, not worth fixing anymore so the only welder I've been using awhile is my 15 year old Miller Eco-ti., Been a great little machine but I was using a buddies Miller snyc-wave and that spoiled me. Need to replace the mig first, went shopping Friday and am torn between the Lincoln 185 or the Miller 211. Both will do what I need, I like Miller but the Lincoln is a few hundred cheaper. Someone told me the Lincoln is now Chinese made and Miller is still USA made. Anyone know if that is true? Would make a differance to me.

16. chevy3755

chevy3755

red tig.......blue plasma cutter

17. Smoking

Smoking
    BANNED
    from Florida

Hi you guys. What is the best welder to use for boxing a frame, and what is the best heat penetration range.
    Thanks

18. This is what I've been using for the last few years.....I do a lot more chassis work them sheet metal, so its great for all the work i've done.

Attached Files:

19. salf100

salf100

Lincoln is now Chinese made, miller is still good ol USA !

20. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

I have a Hobart 125 and a 140, both work well too.

21. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

For most stick welding I use the Craftsman AC 230 that I bought new in 1964. Finally had to replace the cables last year. I added a Miller 251 high frequency box and a contacter to be able to tig aluminum. For steel I connect the 251 to my SA250 Lincoln DC machine. Hardly ever use my Miller 200 mig machine and have a small Lincoln AC portable for small jobs and emergency repairs. I think I am welder poor. I can't blame the machines. If I make a bad weld it must be my fault.

22. metalman

metalman

Thanks,think I'll go with the Miller.

23. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

I use a Miller 211 w/autoset, an Esab handi-plasma 380 and a Miller Diversion 180 for TIG duties.

24. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Esab migmaster 250 and Hypertherm plasma. Both great machines.

25. I have a Lincoln 220 stick welder and i just bought a Lincoln 140c MIG from Lowes this week (birthday present from myself). I absolutely love the 140c, its very easy to dial in.

26. Dave Zapatka

Dave Zapatka

" Clothes don't make the Man "

27. When did this start? Bummer

28. D-man313

D-man313

Miller 140 auto-set.
    Great little welder for sheetmetal and thinner flatstock.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True, and a good machine does not a good welder make; however, a crappy machine can make even the best welder look like an idiot.

30. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

miller 180 auto set