Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions on my hot rod please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Krash, Mar 14, 2011.

1. L79_Acadian

L79_Acadian
    from canada

Looks good so far, raise the rear up a inch or two, then shorten the actual back of the body 2 inches. Easly completed body mod, and then the car doesnt look like a old womans skirt from the rear.

2. Labold

Labold

I think you've done a fine job and I like it the way it is.
    They are never finished and you can tweak it to death. Just get it on the road and you'll be in love.

A little smaller tire up front will help with the stance.

3. Labold

Labold

BTW - Don't let negative comments get to you. Darkk was just expressing his opinion and what was on his mind, I don't think he was purposely trying to get under your skin. When you want real opinions, the HAMB is a great place to get them without the sugar coating. No matter what you do to the car, someone will either not like it or point out something that needs changed.
    Keep on keep'n on.

4. Cryptic1911

Cryptic1911
    from Windham CT

You guys are overreacting to the initial comments. It did turn a bit personal later on, but the fact that he called it a ratrod wasn't meant as an insult, though the way it was written may seem that way. Everyone seems to think it was some kind of belittling comment and that he's some kind of inferior builder. That's not the case. If he had called it a hooptie piece of shit not fit for the road, that would be a different story. The comment about him being an "expert in the field" was only brought up because people questioned if he knew anything about cars, not because he felt to need to boast.. because honestly, if you knew him, he doesn't give two shits what people think of his skills since he has nothing to prove.

Unfortunately the R word seems to bring out the worst in everyone, apparently bringing up images of the back woods botch jobs with mailboxes as intakes and the like. I would say there is a broad range, from those types, to the "unfinished traditional hot rods" as everyone here demands they be called. I myself consider them to fit in both categories, and often refer to them as ratrods as well since its just easier to say. I in fact love the cars posted here in this thread, and I've even followed scooter's build closely as it is one of the cooler builds on this site.

I do have one question / request for a moderator (as I'm sure some are reading this post), can we just get a word replacement filter setup for "ratrod" and have it change it to "unfinished hotrod" instead of letting every innocent comment turn a thread into world war III every time? I know vbulletin has this ability, and it should take 30 seconds to impliment..and it would make things alot smoother around here.

Anyways, the tudor looks great, though I think maybe I'd raise the grill shell and get some shorter tires in the front? that might be whats throwing it off for you since grill kinda hides behind the front tires a bit

Thanks

5. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

if having your hot rod called a rat rod bothers you, finish it, if your driving around an unfinished hot rod folks are going to call it a rat rod that's just life, no sense getting pissed about something you know is going to happen that's just silly.

As far as the sedan, it looks great, my changes would be move the Z into the firewall, raise the rear end and lower the motor, the front shock mounts seem awful high to me maybe attach at base of headlights instead? knock the body down to metal and at the least get it into epoxy primer the patina look screams the nasty R word, and I could never have a hot rod in the shade of green that's just bad luck

all in all i'd say from where you are at, you will be hard pressed to screw this up

6. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I'm with the raise the rear, lower the engine crowd. I think it is a super nice looking car and real gloss paint would make it a jaw dropper, but its your car so if satin black is what YOU would be happy with that's how you should paint it. In my minds eye though, that car with a slight rake and gloss paint and plenty of chrome would be magazine worthy gorgeous...

7. shainerman

shainerman

my pussy hurts.

Krash, that car looks killer man, you're doing a great job. Everyone is right on with suggestions. My opinion is a motor should never be higher than the grill shell (with the exception of carbs and breathers). I really dig the color now. I know you need to do something to protect your chop and bodywork, but I would avoid satin black. That car deserves better. Keep plugging away man. If thats a rat rod, I want one for every day of the week.

8. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Another vote for the color it is... repaint it in that color and pinstripe it picking up the color of the wheels. Drop the engine down as mentioned and kick the rear up just a tad as mentioned. Really bad ass ride I'd love to have...

9. For the record.....I don't care if my car gets called a rat rod. My buddies......even my car guy friends call it a rat rod. I also know that if I run around with its current paint job it will likely get called a rat rod at cars show and such. You and I both know it's not though.... and that's all that matters.

I honestly don't think Darkk initually meant his comment as an insult. Then it kinda got sour with a littlel ball busting back and forth. Oh well, that's what dudes do. No worries. I tried to stay out of it since it's my thread and don't want to get off topic.

As mentioned, this website is great for honest input. No sugar coated ass kissing. That's why I posted this thread....to get some honest input. If someone thinks it looks like a rat rod then so be it....Hell, it may even teter on the rat rod side with some of the issues I need to address. Everyone has an opinion and that's cool.

I really do appreciate everyone's input. You guys have been very helpful and I am thankfull for your time and ideas. I will impliment many of them.

10. Here's a bad ass roadster with my color. I dig the dark blue striping. It looks good with the black wheels.

Attached Files:

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Krash that's a positive and mature outlook on things. Good on you :) Your car is gonna be great.

12. Any more photoshoping skills to maybe show what we're talking about.

Such as raise the rear, lower the engine, hide the "Z", smaller front tire, blackwall....etc.
    I don't know how hard it is to photoshop.....that's way out of my league.

Thanks

13. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Well, Paul at least he didn't call it a Prowler. Glad to see you're still alive my friend. Z.

14. Krash, Opinions are like belly buttons......everybody has one!
    Make it your own and not built by a committee.

Just making the point that some of the best & original builds are one persons dream, if people like cool if they don't, don't sweat it!

By the way, your sedan looks great to me!:D

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Owned :eek:. Man that was like two years ago!:D

16. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Love the car. Love the color.

17. RichG

RichG

I saw this pic in the "40's period correct" thread last night and immediately thought of your car! I like your ride, a little fine tuning and you're set.

Attached Files:

18. I want to point out that the car is actually two colors- a green and a blue. I wouldn't pick one over the other- I'd keep both. I like the idea of keeping the paint more or less as is until you feel like repainting it.

I can't quite picture it, but I'm thinking something along the lines of vintage dragster or funny car paint jobs. Someone's "surf ..." reply sounded good (but I'm not talking making it into a surf-mobile). Seafoam/soap green and powder/sky/turquoise blue with an airbrushed wave graphic (don't think street rod) separating the colors at the body's character line.

Or stripes. Or two-tone with a black character line.

And, a black stock, cloth/vinyl roof.

In other words: a cool paint job that accentuates the character of this body, not a paint job that would hide it, such as satin black.

These pictures aren't exactly what I mean, but should give a better idea.

Attached Files:

19. 440shawn

440shawn

Good lookin ride, color looks great engine might need to be lowered. Still looks great the way it is.

20. You can see the original black under where the green is peeling off. I don't know what era the current color was applied. It's definitely sprayed on and not brushed.

As for that yellow at the belt line. I think it's just primer. It's not on the entire belt line bead. It's on some of the window area as well. Just sporadic. I got some rattle can paint that's real close to the greenish color on it to touch up those spots. I was going to cover the metal work with it also.

The blue was on the engine when I got it.

I went with the candy red on the wheels because I was thinking that when I do paint the body it will be a similar color blue like the motor. With a bone white or pearl white firewall. The engine could match the wheels or stay blue.

I don't love the red wheels againts the current greenish color body.......That's where the whole paint it flat black came in. The black was going to be temporary til the blue goes down.

If the current paint stays (as many of you think it should) what do you think about the candy red wheels. They clas if you ask me. I have another set of '40 Ford wheels I could do up.

21. I am looking at a few more options and ideas for paint color and tire and wheel combinations.

I have thought about the color options over the past few days. I think the colors on the roadster below would be badass on my car. My current blueish color with the darker blue striping on the beltline beading and lower body bead would look great I think.

I would keep the current paint with patina for awhile ......or perhaps forever.....and just add the mentioned dark blue accents. The chassis would be black. The motor black....maybe the dark blue.

What do you guys think?

The next question is the wheel and tire combination. I have another set of '40 Ford rims that I could do up. If I do should I go black or paint them that darker blue I was talking about above?

Finally, black wall or white wall on the tires?

The roadster is courtesy of J Ripper.

Thanks again for your help! You guys rule!

Attached Files:

22. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Current color RULES !

23. theres no way you can make a different waterneck? cant tell to good but what if you were to do so, it looks pretty cool. raise the rear 2 inches.

24. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I didn't read anything after your original post, so forgive me if I'm saying something already said.

When we walk a car show, we grade cars by listing what we would do differently. The highest compliment is to say you would take a car just as it sits.

Now, there is only one thing I don't like on your car. (that's unusual, cuz I can be a prick)

I don't like the stepped frame. Sorry, it's all I got.

25. 5window

5window

So, I will admit to being ignorant, far from an expert,owning a far from finished car and generally mechanically inept. Please educate me on the differences between the dreaded RR and the socially acceptable unF'dHR. I am not certain i can really see what the difference needs to be from this point. Thanks.

26. bigjohnAFA

bigjohnAFA
    from Moncure NC

Dont change a thing looks AWESOME

27. tom brown

tom brown

good lines- lower engine-and level it to rest of car line if you have room, steering .pan, etc. create a full wheel well on back tires-this is critical to a channeled car to complete the line flow and give it balance. the wheel well is soo overlooked .
    work with the patina green. nice build- old tom