Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac / Olds? Buick? Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SHORTDOG, Jul 17, 2010.

1. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

I have a question and i want to see if anybody here can answer it. I have a 52' Pontiac and i was thinking about shaving the Big Trim piece off the hood...well come to find out that the trim piece sits in a recessed gap in the hood and the recess is filled with a million tiny screw holes! :eek: So Instead of welding all that up, I was wondering if anybody knows if another hood would fit on the Pontiac without any modifications?? Like Buick? Oldsmobile? Chevy? Although i am thinking that the Chevy hood might be a little short...Isn't the Pontiac hood longer than the Chevy's? Anybody know? Thanks in Advance!

SHORTDOG :cool:

2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I'm pretty sure Pontiac/Olds/Buick/Caddy cars are all bigger than their Chevy counterparts.

3. pontiac straight 8 hoods are longer then chevys the 6 cyl poncho maybe the same size

not sure on the other gm makes

instead of finding another hood what i would do is get a piece of sheetmetal that fits in the depresson where the waterfall trim was and weld it up that way seems like a simple straight forward approach and cheaper

4. If you want your Pontiac to look like a bellybutton Chevy, why don't you just trade the Pontiac for a Chevy?

5. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

I don't want it to look like a Chevy, I Just want A smooth hood. It seems like the Olds or Buick hoods would fit but i thought someone here would be able to tell me before i start hunting one down.

6. I guess I'm just against removing beautiful trim that distinguishes the Pontiac from the other makes. The cool stainless on old cars is a large part of why I like old cars. To remove those badges of honor just seems counter-productive to me. I prolly shouldn't have responded to your thread. Sorry.

7. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Others have told me the same thing about the hood trim but one big part of building a sled is to shave it smooth.... I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too!

8. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Shortdog....fill it with some new sheetmetal. Careful, it warps easy. Dont ask how I know. Heres my poncho.

Rob

[​IMG]

9. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

i like that twin peak look -- real good looking front end

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'll second the above, it looks right. Mirrors the stock waterfall trim, but different. No other GM hood will fit your car without more work than you can do to customize the one that's on your car. Maybe an even more pronounced peak(s) would look good too?

I'm no purist, but I do like the "SilverStreak" hood trim, it sets the car apart from other Marques. It's an iconic design, and makes the car a Pontiac. It's your car, but I'd vote for leaving the waterfall, and doing something with grill/headlights, to leave the Pontiac flavor. That's just me.

Brian

11. SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Thanks Rob! That's exactly what i had in mind to do but i was looking for a hood that would interchange with the stock one so i wouldn't have to take a chance of warping it...I guess if no other hood will fit (like Brian says) i will have to come up with something to do to the stock hood. Thanks for the pic Rob!

12. nailhead ed

nailhead ed

hey shortdog....glad to see someone else jumping in on the pontiac customs, my current project is also one, 49 silverstreak fastback. i have encountered the same issue with the hood and have decided as flyinbrian48 mentioned to keep the hood as is to keep the unique pontiac flavor however after seeing the twin peak look it has me wondering if that is the way to go....good luck

13. TxMike

TxMike

Nice work on that hood, looks great. I'll be keeping my Poncho trim. I like that it sets it apart from the Chevys.

14. kopis

kopis

I filled mine with a piece of sheet metal.