Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Roadster hand formed & other projects

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carbuilder, Apr 4, 2011.

1. carbuilder

carbuilder

This will be a continuation of the 36 Roadster project that Jordan (machobuck) started in my shop while learning sheet metal forming. I will be finishing up the car over time & make it a running driving car that will stay in bare metal to display the work & training we do in my shop. So here we go.
    First this is where it was left off at. The main panels were tacked together.
    DSCN6753.JPG
    Now I have started finish welding the panels with a tig.
    DSCN6775.JPG
    After welding I then ground the welds & planished then welded more, ground & planished. Here it is all welded up ground & planished & started using the shrink disc.
    DSCN6776.JPG
    More shrink disc then some with the DA 80 grit its getting close but will still need a little more tune up I am striving for perfection here.
    DSCN6778.JPG
    DSCN6779.JPG
    Some more of the weld, grind, planish & shrink disc to the upper side panels along with the rear body filler.
    DSCN7025.JPG
    DSCN7026.JPG
    DSCN7027.JPG
    I am going to attempt to put in at least an hour or more 4 days a week on this till it is done. Even taking 1 hr a day baby steps it shows progress & over time will get done. I am 63 plus & just don't feel like working 10 to 12 hrs a day 6 & 7 days a week any more
    This body will stay pretty much stock at present I do not know what I will run for a motor but it will be a Ford. I have a 37 V8 60 axel for the front that will get split bones. I have a couple of different ford rear ends 8 & 9 inch I don't know weather I will run bones & single spring or parallel leafs yet. Thats it for now more to come hope some will enjoy the quality we strive to do here.

2. Man-O-man, that is some beautiful work. A true craftsman

3. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Thats watcha call "Craftsmanship".
    20 years in industrial metal fab and I've learned more about metal work right here on the H.A.M.B. than in my time on the job. Well about as much any ways.
    Good job!

4. Wow, this will be a good one to watch. Show us some of your techniques so we can learn something from your obvious talents! Thanks

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

This is great I was hoping you would continue the build on this ! Thanks!

6. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I really like watching hand built bodies coming together. Starting to gather the tools to try to do it myself soon.

7. carbuilder

carbuilder

The upper accent lines are a little wavy for the quality I am looking for they were hand formed so I decided to make new ones. if you look you can see a few slight dips again this was all hand pounded using hammers Dolly's & slaps.
    DSCN7017.JPG
    DSCN7018.JPG
    I made up some dies for the reciprocating machine now I have straight lines & bent to the correct contour.
    DSCN7019.JPG
    DSCN7020.JPG
    The old one is removed & the new one tack welded in nice clean straight line now.
    DSCN7021.JPG
    DSCN7022.JPG
    DSCN7023.JPG
    Over the next couple of days I will finish welding, grinding, hammer, dolly, & shrink disc.

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

9. Good to see you back on this one, carbuilder. Amazing metal-work. Subscribed....

Did Jordan find a job back home? (Quite the talented young panel-beater.)

10. carbuilder

carbuilder

Yes he got a job in a shop that dose both crash & restoration work in Whitter. No major projects yet to work on just small panel repair type stuff. The shop has only been open for about a year I was told so he has a chance to grow with them. He doesn't have a car so it's a long bus ride every day.

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Excellent build. You've got to keep us up to date until this one if finished.

Frank

12. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Uh.....wow! :eek:

13. carbuilder

carbuilder

I got a little more welding done today & grinding just no picture of the ground panel.
    DSCN7035.JPG
    More to come as progress continues one step at a time.

14. rodl

rodl

Hey man, that's nice work! Are you stitchwelding the joins or continuous weld between tacks?
    RodL

15. carbuilder

carbuilder

RodL it is all tig welded. Makes it easer co control the heat & shrinkage, which means less grinding, hammer, dolly & shrink disc work.

16. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

do you do all of your shrinking work with a disc? or do you sometimes use the flame and hammer approach?

17. carbuilder

carbuilder

FiddyFour Some times for large shrinks I use the torch & hammer with air hose to cool. But mostly I use the disc with air to cool no wet mess using air. With the disc I have a lot more control making the panel smooth & straight. it might be a little slower but to me worth the effort for the final metal finished product.

18. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i always wonder about them things, an i been tempted more'n once to get ahold of john kelly an order myself one... i've also wondered about the work hardening that you get with a disc?

19. carbuilder

carbuilder

The disc doesn't work harden the metal it actually anneals it which helps keep it more workable longer. I have been using & selling the disc for over 10 years now it gets used almost daily in the shop on something & some days a lot of usage.

20. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Amazing work, will be watching for sure!!

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth :rolleyes: but... could you possibly post some bigger pics of your beautiful metalwork?

22. carbuilder

carbuilder

Just click on the picture they will get larger.

23. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

WOW, Now I'am sure I am a worthless hack !!!
    VERY NICE !!!

24. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

great info to have. i've been "self teaching" myself to shape metal for about a year now... i figure in about another, oh, say 50 years i might be able to show my work without being embarrassed :eek::eek:

25. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

This is an amazing build. I work at a restoration shop and we use the shrinking disc a lot too. It is a great tool and well worth it to have one. Keep up the good work.

26. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

You are the MAN!, and extremley talented. Keep us posted on an incredible piece of work.

27. carbuilder

carbuilder

Got a little shrink disc time in today.
    DSCN7056.JPG
    DSCN7060.JPG
    I had to make some front floor pan replacements with the battery switched to the right side for a customer.
    DSCN7061.JPG
    DSCN7062.JPG
    More to come.

28. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Beautiful work.

29. That is some great work you are doing. Nothing beats a tig machine to put panels together, not even hammer welding. Tig is alot lest heat in a smaller area. You dont have so much hammer and dolly work. Just a super job , looking forward to seeing more of your work.

30. carbuilder

carbuilder

I have been making a trans tunnel cover for a 36 Phaeton along with the front floor patches. It's getting close but still has a ways to go this is going on a accurate restoration.
    DSCN7066.JPG

DSCN7075.JPG

DSCN7076.JPG

DSCN7077.JPG

DSCN7078.JPG

DSCN7080.JPG