Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Lost one of the original hot rodders, my grandpa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 5, 2011.

1. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Chris
    I know the Lord is with you in your time of sorrow. It is only for a season.
    We can fix the don't make em like they use too, we just have to be that person!
    You said you see him in your 18 year old son, I sure your son sees a little bit of Grandpa in you!
    Rest in Romans 8:28

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Chris..just saw this and read all of it.
    Very sorry for your loss.
    You come from great stock.

Jeff

3. God bless you and your family Chris! The happy day you are reunited is coming! :)

4. NoSurf

NoSurf

Chris- sorry to hear about your loss.

I am sure he's happy where he is now.

Great anecdote.

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Chris, my heartfelt condolences to you and your family. Your grandpa was a great man, your very lucky to have had his influences in your life.

6. That's beautiful man, thanks for sharing. He was quite a guy

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Seems like a really cool guy, sorry he's gone. Wishing you and your family peace and comfort. Thanks for introducing him to us.

8. sir_ely

sir_ely

My condolences to you and your family. Thanks for sharing such a great story....God speed gramps.

9. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Chris, i cant tell ya how sorry i am to hear this. my heart, thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours, from me and mine. with all my love in Him who saves me. here's a couple passages i've leaned on in the past.

Romans 8:38-39
    1 Corinthians 15:42-57
    1 Thessalonians 4:13-17
    Revelation of John 21:1-7

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Wow 100. Lot of life in 100 years. You're a lucky man to have had a Grandfather who lived to 100 years.
    Hoping he went in peace to a peaceful place, condolences to you and yours.

11. luciomduran

luciomduran

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. MY Grandfather means the world to me and I would have never had the opportunity to get into cars without him. Take care man and know that you will have a little angel watching over you every where you go.

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

Very sorry to hear this...

13. Chris, sorry to hear this news, but sounds like your grandpa had a good run. Love the 4 generation pic. Not everyone gets to do one. Neat that your son reminds you of gramps. Pat.

14. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was well loved, and had a good long life.

Thanks for allowing us a glimpse into his life.

15. Root, sorry to hear.

16. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

Sorry for your loss.

17. Wesley

Wesley

Those were the words I was looking for.

18. Deadbird

Deadbird

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he lived a good life.

19. goodgarb

goodgarb
    from TACOMA,WA

Chris
    Sorry for the loss, your Gramps was quite the man! Love the four generation picture and the sandwich story.

Thank you for sharing your family, Take care
    Mark

20. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

You have been blessed with good memories you get to keep with you, for the rest of your life. Just hang in there for now. Thanks for sharing his awsome cool history!

best, Russ

21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

chris, i am sure i don't have to remind you how blessed you are to have 4 generations like that in one pic, or what a blessing that legacy of your grand dad is. sorry for your loss, i know it's hard to adjust. but man, you've got one good fella there to honor and remember.

and, that story about the sandwich is funny as heck.

22. Essexboy

Essexboy
    from Essex UK

Hi Chris,
    Just wanted to add my condolences, Nothing I can write can ease the hurt you must be feeling, but know that hurt does ease with time and he will always be around for you in your memory. From what you have wrote he has passed down to you a million and one memories that will never fade and you will always have him with you throwing in a comment in your mind that will make you smile.

God Bless Him

23. Suit

Suit

Nice tribute Root. My condolences to your family for their loss.

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

The "spare tire" quip shows that your grandad had that gift of HUMOR in bad times that gets us through those bad times. Probably helped him just KEEP ON when things went wrong. Smart man. Reminds me a ton of my own grandad. Sorry HAMBers, but he never owned a car, just worked on the railroad all his life, so he didn't NEED a car, at least in his view of the world!

Reading everybody's sentiments here just tells me: DON'T ANYBODY EVER SAY THAT THE HAMB IS NOT A FAMILY! Pair-a-Dice-Road nailed it perfectly.

Life's short, so grab each day, love those close to you and -- yeah -- NEVER give up!

25. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

To my eyes, your son is the spitting image of him.
    You know, to this day, people that knew my grandfather love to tell me that I look and walk just like him. Some older family members and friends of the family even call me "John" sometimes when speaking to me.
    It's an honor.
    Sounds to me like you'll always have him around. :)

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yup, JimMitchell, WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

27. Thanks for posting, this is a great story and tribute to your grandpa. 'Sorry for your loss.

28. Praying for you and your family in your time of sorrow, while thankful that you were blessed to have him until he was 100. Hope you get his longevity genes. Sounds like he was an amazing man in many ways.

29. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

chris, sorry for your loss..You`ll have good memories of him for the rest of your life. The only grand pa I can remember, died in 1958, I can remember riding in his old studebaker truck; but he didn`t hot rod it.

Tom T

30. Sorry for your loss. 100 years....amazing. May he rest in peace and God Bless.