Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Here are some pics from our trip on Monday:

Attached Files:

2. The owner didn't have alot of info on the engine; just that it had ALOT of work done on it. The car was listed in a magazine as well-

Attached Files:

3. bct

bct

30 miles per gallon! thanks for the pics mac , cool car .

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I know I've got that "Best Hot Rods" magazine somewhere; now, I'll have to dig it out.

5. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

it is degassed with a rotary carbon disc and nitrogen when molten just before it is poured

6. Anyone have a pic of a Chandler Grove carb???

The current owner is running an OEM carb for a mid 40's Chevrolet and has an intkae with a pair of 97's once he gets it running right again- we had a dickens of a time with the distributor. The builder used what looks to be a '53ish Buick 8 cyl distributor by capping every other terminal and machining the base. The vacuum advance had broken and the replacement that was being used just didn't seem to work either... LOTS of backfiring in a tin garage left us all a bit deaf!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

All a Chandler Grove carb is, is a 94 like '38-up Ford flatheads used. Holley took over making them after the first couple years.

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A Buick distributor? What did they do, machine every other lobe off of the point cam?

9. HEATHEN,

Thanks for the info... I know, I know, "Google is my friend :)"

No, he just plugged up every other terminal... go figure that I didn't take ONE good pic of the distributor!

10. Gotta be honest, I've been going back and forth about distributor choices. There are some nice units made for VW that look like a pretty close fit (I know that there are certain years NOT to use, since #4 is a little retarded). There's a nice pertronix kit to go with it as well. Then there's the Mallory unit for Model A's, etc.

Any thoughts (if I've posted this before, please be kind :D)

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I used the Pinto/Capri 2000cc version of the Bosh distributer on my Plymouth's. pretty much the same as the VW but you don't have to look out for certain years and the housing is a little more easily converted to some other engine. Pic of Pinto twin. Pinto/Plymouth with blade drive and VW/Dodge Bros. with gear. You can see the bottom of the Pinto part is flat which makes it easy to put the new lower on it with small machine screws.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  12. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

Mac, Talk to the Big B this afternoon he found the builds sheet for the 28 engine. The dual intake that was hanging on the wall had the Grove carbs on it. Benny has another distributor to use, we can use his for a template to machine with.

Man, I spent all day at the honey hole with all the ford parts getting the F1 cross member for the boat tail. Came home with the pedals, pulleys, fan and a 32 radiator. Going back Monday to pick a complete 37 V8 60 running chassis.

Outback likes this.
  13. Nov. 1951 Hot Rod.
    [​IMG]

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Makes you feel in good company, doesn't it?

-Dave

15. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

Very Cool Jimmy B I will let Benny know of this copy and see if he has it.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The "Late model Valve cover" is nice.

17. ebtm3

ebtm3

Mac

As soon as I saw the photos that you took, I remembered seeing the car in that article--which I still have somewhere. The late valve cover, and the front frame cover were the give aways.

Unless there are a lot more mods to the engine than what the article mentions the 117 MPH is wildly optimistic.

Herb

18. Herb, the current owner said that he had it up to 110... who knows :). The valve cover is simply a Chevrolet 6 cut down and welded.

Jimmy, WOW, great find- thanks for posting it!

19. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Haven't read all the posts but 768 posts on a '28 Chevy 4 banger who would have thought! 4 years ago I took a one family owned, 60k, '29 Chevy 4 banger to the dump along with the trans, front end, rear end, and spare tire mount! Tried giving it away but nobody wanted to pay shipping....................and yes it all ran great!

20. ebtm3

ebtm3

WHAT--you sent a 1929 four cylinder to the dump? A one of a kind like that? And here we thought that 1928 was the last of the fours!!

Just pullin yer chain :p:p

Herb

21. Rich,

I tried a little searching last night for Pinto distributors and didn't some up with much- either Mallory's for $400+ or a googob of caps... I'm guessing that I'll be doing some yard hopping to find one, huh?

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That was my experience. I bought one off of the bay. But I had been running a Pinto in the roadster before the Lotus 907 and then the Plymouth OHV conversion. And finially the flathead Plymouth. Dodge bros. to follow. Then Chevy? So I had some Pinto stuff around. And I had already shortened my Pinto distributer by 1/2 inch to clear the injectors so I knew they were easy to work with. Points, condenser and such is the same as VW.

23. dawford

dawford

About a year ago I needed a smaller distributor to clear a Demon carburator installation on my Model A Woodie.

I bought an 9442 EMPI Centrifugal Advance Distributor With Electronic Ignition for $79.95 on ebay.

I then removed the pin holding the drive on the bottom of the shaft.

I then removed the guts and chucked the housing in a lathe and turned it down a few thousandths.

I then reassembled it and installed a sleeve and a pin on the shaft to engage the drive shaft.

The finnished distributor fits perfectly. I have not tried it yet as the woodie has other issues.

This distributor uses a coil with a ballast resistor.

Dick :) :) :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Rich, I'm going to be quite the hypocrite here, but I was able to get what looks to be a '27 Dodge 4... I'll be picking it up tomorrow at the Charlotte Auto Fair and will get the numbers off to see just exactly what it is :)- all I know is that Butch/1 said I need to eat my Wheaties 'cause it's rather heavy!

Here's a pic of the engine:

[​IMG]

May the Bowtie gods forgive me... and I know I'll never hear the end of it from Doug (noboD) as well :D

Outback likes this.
  25. Michael_e

Michael_e

Mac - interesting motor you're getting there.

Herb, Rich & Ken - thanks for all your contributions to helping me with my casting ideas. You guys sure have a lot of knowledge about this stuff. I'm going to head out tomorrow to a local place that sells all sorts of aluminum stock and see whats available and what i can afford.

BTW - i just got my latest SOSS issue and it has quite a bit of info about casting and info from Joe Gemsa about his heads, machining instructions and the 'off the shelf parts' he used. There is also a really nice picture of one of his DO heads and cam parts.

Thanks

Mike

Outback likes this.
  26. soss?

27. Secrets of Speed Society, Stevie...

Say THAT 5 times fast :)

28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Thats a pretty good looking old Dodge. Not a "Fast Four" but still pretty cool. makes the Chevy four look tiny. Still pluging away on mine.

29. Rich,

Is it one worth building, or is it just a nice "conversation piece"?

30. ebtm3

ebtm3

Hey Bill- that Dodge is strange! Is it a crossflow flathead? Carb on the other side?

Herb