Register now to get rid of these ads!

I bought something I might not need...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Apr 5, 2011.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

So i talked to a fella about a rearend I needed. He said he could get me one gathered up. We agreed on a price. I said ok, go for it. Well when I went to pick it up I met him at his place of business. Meaning he had to load the thing up and bring it there. Well we discussed my application for it and he suggested that it may not be the best solution. I kind of agreed with him but really hadnt made a 100% decision to go the other route. So he asks if I still want the rearend. At this point I'm second guessing my plans. But I decided that I gave my word I would take it since he had to go to the trouble of meeting me.

Was this the right thing to do? What would you have done in the situation.

I may still use it but I really dont know now. I was just raised on the "your word is your word" school of thought, so I felt obligated to go through with it.

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

You could have asked him? But if you said you'd take it.... then you did the right thing. Maybe you can flip it?

3. adamshumard

adamshumard

He even acted like I could have backed out, but I just didn't feel right about it.

4. At least if you don't want/ need it someone out there is lookin' for it.

5. It was the stand-up thing to do. I'll bet the guy gives you a discount on the other rearend, or maybe helps find a new buyer for this one.

6. Greasy64

Greasy64

You aren't the first to get "buyers remorse" before actually buying something. I've had several guys make a deal with me and give me their word then flake. You showed character beyond most. I once made a deal with a guy in norcal (500+ miles away) and before I left got cold feet. I drove up anyway and got a better deal than I thought, enjoyed a great roadtrip with my Daughter, and just happened to be up in the area during a sudden death (heart attack) of my Cousin. We were able to assist the family immediately with some food, babysitting, etc.

7. Right thing to do I would have done the same,..would prefer to end up with something I didnt really need rather than after saying yes, mess someone around and go back on an agreement. After all we all need more car stuff for something!

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell yeah you did the right thing. Nothing worse than someone who backs out on their word!!

Doc.

9. Soviet

Soviet

You gave your word - you went through with the deal.
    Whether or not you thought things through beforehand is irrelevant, you behaved like a man in this situation.

10. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

The right thing isn't allways the easiest.... But, you did the right thing.

11. budd

budd

call the guy up and ask if he will take it back, if hes a good guy he will, offer him something for his trouble.

12. adamshumard

adamshumard

Im glad you all feel the same. Makes me feel a little better about spending what little hot rod money I have on something I may not use.

13. HotRod33

HotRod33

You did good that you bought it and stayed true to your word.......... Don't feel to bad if you don't use it I have a whole garage full of shit like that.....

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

You absolutely did the right thing. Your word is your most valuable possession. If you don't use the rear end you can sell it on. Theres another thread on here with some posts by people that would have let your seller bring the rear end over, mount it on your car, test it and then say no they don't want it. A few years ago I agreed with a friend in work to buy two bikes of his sight unseen. The price was right. When I saw what I was buying I immediately wanted to walk but because I said I would I did. All the way home I looked at the crap in the back of the truck thinking I was nuts. I stopped at a friends place on the way. He saw the crap and got all excited! And bought them from me on the spot. What goes around comes around.

15. rusty bill

rusty bill

I always give people their money back if the item isn't what they need.

16. rancid737

rancid737

I agree. I've dealt with my fair share of flakes. Sounds like you kept a good solid bridge with a good contact, hes gonna hook you up in the future.

17. outlaw256

outlaw256

you did right.you said you would take it and you did.id be glad to deal with you.

18. fbama73

fbama73

Agreed- it was the stand up thing to do. You said you would buy it, and you did. If you don't use it, I hope you get your money back and maybe more.

19. GLOBALWARMER

GLOBALWARMER
    from SACRAMENTO

A rig is only as strong as it's frame and a man is only as good as his word. You did the right thing.

20. erlomd

erlomd

You did the right thing. It would have been awkward to leave the guy hanging, even though he seemed like he was understanding that it may not have been what you needed. Hell, I did the exact same thing 10 years ago with a rear end. It wasn't the right rear end but I got it to fit.
    The point is your a man of your word and that counts for alot. GOD speed fellow consumer! We are all proud!

21. A person that keeps his word is a person I want around me! Even if you don't use the rearend, your not stuck, trade, sell, or keep. Spoke with your brother on the phone yesterday, he seems to be a similar sort of fellow.;)

22. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

As said in Scarface...

"All I got in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break either of 'em for nobody!"

Good call on your part

23. paintcan54

paintcan54

You did the right thing.

24. Thanks for being a stand-up guy. As the seller I would rather know that what I sold you is right for your application. Sounds like this guy was the same way. He gave you advice indicating he thought it wasn't the best for you. He offered not to go through with the sale. You could have told him you already committed to him and didn't want to back out due to his time and trouble. Maybe even offered $20 - $50 for his time but let him keep the rear end and have the opportunity to sell it to another customer. I'll bet he would have refused the money, sounds like he's that kind of guy. But I'll bet he'd at least share a cup of coffee with you, and let you pay for the coffee. :D

25. thats what we call shelf parts
    i buy alot of stuff i don't need....yet
    tk

26. 4ever18

4ever18

If you had backed out on the deal, do you think that the seller would have accepted your word on something else that you'll probably want/need in the future? By following through on the deal, you've laid the groundwork for the next transaction. Besides, as you've stated, you may or maynot use this rear. If you'd backed out and later found that you could have used the rear, getting the second one from this seller (or anyone that he told this story to) would probably be more expensive. By keeping your word, you can always hold your head up and look anyone in the eye. If you don't keep your word, you can't expect others to keep their word to you. This is a facet of being a good man!

27. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I do that all the time ,I just resell it If I dont need it.

28. donbatey

donbatey

Buying something you don't need? do all the time- wish I could stop myself.

29. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

You still are unsure of whether you need it or not, at least you have it to keep the option open. Been there done that, you did OK. No worries. You can always resell the part.

30. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

You did good, so do you have anything for sale?