Register now to get rid of these ads!

Damned the price of steel! Auction Frustration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G V Gordon, Apr 10, 2005.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Went to an auction yesterday that had 70+ old cars. Most were beyond bringing back as a project but I figured to save a few for parts at least. Cars that could have been bought for 50 bucks a couple years ago, were going for $200+. I quit bidding on the Caddy at $450. Most were bought by two different crushers. These cars had the engines cut out years ago and sat beside a creek so rust was rampant. Still would have liked to bring a few home.

The good news is I got this. I think it is a 235 Chevy intake but would like that verified if someone knows for sure.

2. McGrath

McGrath

Yeah, a buddy of mine does some scrapping on the side. I think he said he was getting $120 a ton right now. He is a car man though, so if he runs across anything worth saving he will try to sell it whole first.

I am supposed to go look at a 50 Ford he drug in a few weeks ago. Says its in good shape and has a Flathead still under the hood. I think he is intending on Ebaying it.

3. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I feel your pain George. I went to a boneyard the other day and my heart sank when I drove around the county gravel road. Not a whole lot left out there any more. The good thing about auctions with the crusher buying alot of stuff is that you can buy small parts for super cheap. I alway's just make sure I get with him after the auction and make and offer for taillights or carbs or shock mounts and then I find out when the crusher is coming and it is a race til' the end pulling parts and there is not anyone around as you are pulling all the stuff off the cars. Plus, you don't have to haggle on the price of a steering wheel or any small part, since they are crushing it all.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

Oh yea, what did the Commercial truck in the very background go for? Do you have any shots of it.

4. daddio

daddio

Man I could use that 49 Cad hood for a Sedanette we're selling.
    Daddio:cool:

5. Well, at least you got to drag something home. See ya at Dewey.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Who makes the intake? What are you gonna do with it?

7. Yup, that is for a 235-MIKE;)

8. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

got time to resize a few mor pics.

Attached Files:

9. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

somebody save that plymouth wagon!!!

10. Jeez! A 57 Plymouth wagon...... and not totally rusted. I stopped at an old place I used to go to. Not only had they brought in an crusher and pretty much gone through the place they wer out bidding on towing yard contents bring those in and crushing and shipping as fast as they could.

The only way I could get something was to spend lots of time hanging and if something came in that I wanted I'd get a little time to pull it. It's a good distance to go out there and it's not like I've got nothing else going on.

11. I just noticed the Step-down Hudson behind the Imperial which has or had a 331 Hemi. Arrrgh.

12. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

If it makes you feel any better the rockers and quarters on the wagon were pretty bad. The big thing was that back in the eighties a bunch of kids came through and busted out all the glass. Didn't help them weather any better. The Imperials motor was gone as were most of the engines and trannies.

13. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

There ought to be some sort of national historic automotive law that makes crushing clasic's illegal untill some inspector certifies that there are no possibe reusable parts left.

14. That's to be expected. This many years later us Forward Look lovers take what we can get. I'm looking at the front end with the Single headlite set up and the 57 only verticle slot valance. I've seen some amazing work done on some awfully far gone cars. A challange for any good metal fabricator which I am not.

You reminded me of when I was a kid about 10. There was on old unused farm near my house with about 40-50 old cars, trucks. A bunch of us went through one summer afternoon and broke out all the glass we could. There wasn't anyone to stop us. Fortunately we all came from good homes and did not succumb further to this wickedness and have all become productive citizens. Mostly. I also realised (I was raised Catholic) that I never mentioned this in Confession. I beleive I am obliged to rectify this situation. There is no fooling the Creator. That's good old guilt for ya":rolleyes: :p :eek:

15. tomslik

tomslik

can i apply for that job?
    what's it pay?