Register now to get rid of these ads!

History C cab mold........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BERNIES WELDING, Apr 1, 2011.

?
  1. YES I WANT ONE

17.7%
  2. HOW MUCH WILL IT BE

75.8%
  3. I WANT A ROLLING CHASIS

1.6%
  4. I WANT JUST THE BODY

24.2%
  5. IF THERE IS A STORY BOOK AND A NUMBERED BODY AND CHASIS I WANT ONE

4.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

How old or young are you?

2. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

Well let me help you out a little bit................

Dan woods is a hotrod builder from the late 60's and he created some fantastic hotrods. The other person involved with him was ed newton. Woods created a hotrod called the milk truck and later the ice truck not to be confused with tom daniels model kit by momogram. Woods car was the real thing and i believe the one the model was created from a drawing originally done by tom daniel.

As far as fat tires go they are and always will be kool on certain openwheel cars. Everyone has their own particular taste. Some like them and some don't. The low riders are into wide wheels and skinny vw tires.

Each to their own....................

3. FYI

Dave Shuten's Ice Truck - Cool As Ice

Dan Woods' Ice Truck
    From the May, 2009 issue of Rod & Custom
    By Thom Taylor
    Photography by David Franklin

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD><IFRAME style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 260px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; HEIGHT: 24px" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/featuredvehicles/0905rc_dave_shutens_ice_truck/index.html&layout=standard&show_faces=false&width=260&action=like&colorscheme=light&height=24" frameBorder=0 scrolling=no allowTransparency itxtBad="1"></IFRAME>
    </TD><TD> |
    </TD><TD><IFRAME class="twitter-share-button twitter-count-horizontal" title="Twitter For Websites: Tweet Button" style="WIDTH: 110px; HEIGHT: 20px" tabIndex=0 src="http://platform0.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.html?_=1301791957218&count=horizontal&lang=en&related=rodandcustommagazine%3ARod%2Band%2BCustom%2BMagazine&text=Dave%20Shuten's%20Ice%20Truck%20-%20Cool%20As%20Ice&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rodandcustommagazine.com%2Ffeaturedvehicles%2F0905rc_dave_shutens_ice_truck%2Findex.html" frameBorder=0 scrolling=no allowTransparency itxtBad="1"></IFRAME>
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript itxtBad="1"> $(function() { var fbLike = '<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/featuredvehicles/0905rc_dave_shutens_ice_truck/index.html&layout=standard&show_faces=false&width=260&action=like&colorscheme=light&height=24" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:260px;height:24px;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>'; $('#facebook-like').html(fbLike); $.getScript('http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js'); }); </SCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[​IMG]

"You've got to understand; I built the Ice Truck to drive the #@*$ out of--I wanted to go out and raise hell with it. I'd take it out to parking lots after a car show and smash my foot down and turn the steering wheel. It's like the world's biggest go-kart--you couldn't turn it over if you tried. It's less than 47 inches tall, 100 inches wide with a 106-inch wheelbase--you do the math."

Almost 40 years after Rod & Custom featured Dan Woods' Ice Truck in concept form on our August 1970 cover, we're pleased to feature it finished courtesy of Dan and friends from 1967-1970 and owner Dave Shuten and friends in 2007. It's not your typical hot rod, builder, or R&C feature to be sure.

There are many pioneers of hot rodding, but you don't usually find them much past the 1950s. Dan Woods redefined hot rodding in the 1970s with his application of then-current racing technology, unique design and fabrication, great attention to finish and detail, but also as one of the first to devote a business exclusively to building hot rods for customers and selling exclusive hot rod components for Model Ts through 1940s Fords.
    His reputation as a great builder was defined by many things, but the Ice Truck established him as the leading builder of hot rods. No one was building cars like he was then or possibly ever. The Ice Truck was like something from outer space back in the 1960s when Dan, legendary designer Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, and cartoonist Ed "Newt" Newton first conceived it.

Dan wanted something wild to follow on the heels of his Milk Truck show rod, also featured on an August R&C cover--1965 for that one. He loved the components and also proportions of the race cars he saw at Dan Gurney's shop and that whole Indy car look--but he also liked the early Model T ice truck he saw as a kid coming back from a weekend in Sun City, California.

[​IMG]

Dan's Milk Truck landed him a job at Ed Roth's Maywood digs, which introduced him to resident cartoonist and designer Newt. Soon Dan had conveyed his wacky ice truck/Indy car idea to Newt, who morphed the two opposing ideas on paper. Keep in mind the entire conception and build takes place between 1967 and 1970.

The frame and independent suspension were built by Dan in his parents' garage. The rear is based on a Jaguar third member, while the front features homemade A-arms originally sprung by a single leaf spring, before being changed in the early 1970s into Dan's signature opposed-coil spring setup. The brass radiator housing hides the military armored personnel carrier water pump and conventional radiator and was put together at Henry's Machine Works in Bellflower using thick brass plate painstakingly welded through trial and error so there is no heat discoloration or pitting. Dan also purchased the blown Buick from Mickey Thompson straight out of his twin-engine Monster dragster for $500--paid in installments--before Vietnam interrupted Dan's life in 1967.

By the time of the first moon walk in August 1969, Dan was back home with ice in his veins and that personnel carrier water pump and F-4 Phantom map light stuffed in his duffel bag--both of which would end up on the Ice Truck.

When R&C's editor Bud Bryan visited J&J Chassis in Cerritos in early 1970, he found Dan, Newt, and J&J owner Roger Jonguris mocking up the body--which was featured in that August 1970 issue. You could see it was a fantasy hot rod for sure--but it was for real!

"I would sit there and grind and Newt would tell me to move it this way or that--he and Roger were there for every inch of the body shape," says Dan. "Once we got the mahogany panels on, I took it back home and fiberglassed it. We used finger joints pinned with dowels and glue for the body framework--kind of Old World-like construction. I primed and painted it, then it was off to Joe Perez for upholstery. We thrashed to get it done for the 1971 Oakland Roadster Show."

4. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

Well here is the latest........

I have put a poll on here and i would like a response to the questions.

If you so desire................

This project will and is moving forward, if there are some interest in

this project i am willing to put together a business contract.

5. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

Well here is the latest........

I have put a poll on here and i would like a response to the questions.

If you so desire................

This project will and is moving forward, if there are some interest in

this project i am willing to put together a business contract.

6. badshifter

badshifter

Whats the difference between 1 and 4? Where is the I don't want one option?

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I believe that would be called Voting with your feet!

When I was looking at the one I was talking about earlier last year, I kept thinking how cool this thing would be done up in early sixties show car kinda guise... Still makes my mind wander.

8. none of the c-cabs shown so far look like the mold exactly to me. a friend of mine built one i always thought it was cool. is anyone making a c-cab body now? going into production against other manufacturers could be risky do to the limited demand although yours does have the pedigree. i would like to see the finished body can't tell the exact shape looking at the mold.

9. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Ditto

10. onedge

onedge

This has been something to read. I cant get excited about this at all. Good Luck.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Since you have never acknowledged (admitted) that the mold you have is from neither the Milk truck or the Ice truck, I will choose to decide you are not the kind of person I would choose to do business with and do as was suggested earlier, vote with my feet. :)

12. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

OH OH OH!!! Is the story book in the last option one of those cool Pop Up books?... I LOVE THOSE!!

for real man... what's the story on this thing?.. because it's not the Milk Truck, or the Ice Truck.... is this just a scam? what's the deal? The mold is cool as hell, but it'd be cooler to know what it actually is.

It's too bad the "right" person didn't get this...

13. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

I believe i mentioned i have had numerous e-mails with tom taylor the writer of both articles in the rodders journal #43 of 2009, and he also wrote the article in rod & custom, may of 2009. I was given phone numbers of both ed newton and dan woods, i had a long phone conversation with newton on tuesday 3-29 2011, and on friday i spoke to dan woods briefly on friday 4-1-2011 and he told me it was a mold created by him. Woods will be contacting me at a later date to talk to me more.
    In the mean time if there is any doubt anyone can find thom taylors' e-mail by doing a web search and his e-mail is available for people to e-mail him. Use my name and i am sure he will acknowledge we communicated about the mold.
    On the same note there is always going to be skeptical minds out there and there will always be criticism and thin skinned individuals will be upset and offended when they are challenged.

Let me close by saying;

stay tuned and there will be some amazing things in the future.........

To all others;

stay tuned in.................

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I don't know what the controversy is at this point. IT IS a Dan Woods mold, It IS NOT the milk truck as the O/P originally thought, IT HAS been authenticated by a bunch of us who either do a lot of research or were there (consider me both). It is cool as hell. If your not familiar with Dan Woods stuff, it is kinda O/T here, but always was cool as hell. Time to pick up a seventies Street Rodder mag and expand your horizons!

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Been here one month, 22 posts, and you claim to have this mold. I call BULLSHIT on the whole story. This is the internet, anybody can invent their reality on the internet.

I think you're just trying to get the name "Bernie's Welding" out there. I really doubt you even have a mold.

16. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

Build it and they will come.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And you still need to man up and admit what it is you have , and what it is that you don't have.

Somehow I don't see that happening so I will maintain my opinion of you. As will a few others here I'm sure.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  18. JimSibley

JimSibley

Bernie has the mold. He lives close to me. I had a chance to buy it years ago and did not. Bernie is a true old school hotrodder. He has been around and from the looks of it he found a cool old piece, and wants to drum up some interest before he spends time or money to build a few of these bodies. Just my 2 cents worth.

19. squirrel

squirrel

seriously, I wonder if all those years of welding have damaged Bernie's eyes? We can see what the various C cab bodies look like, and what the mold looks like....

I wonder if Bernie sent the pics of the mold, and the pics of the cars, to Dan and asked if he was really sure it was the mold that made those bodies?

It boggles the mind.

Anyways, there's a C cab body laying on the ground across the street from me, a relatively new neighbor has it. Maybe they're rare.

20. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

The mold you bought and the one in the picture are two entirely different ones ! The roof lines aren't the same as the one in the picture along with the out line of the opening on the side .
    Sorry but you are seeing something that everyone else isn't . We can't all be wrong !

Retro Jim

21. milo1303s

milo1303s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These look the same truck to me !!!!

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Well, if Jim said it, I believe it.

23. Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  24. i have the original mold for "dan woods milk truck" .ATTACHED ARE TWO PICTURES, THE FIRST ONE IS THE MOLD THAT I HAVE AND THE OTHER IS THE ORIGINAL "MILK TRUCK" THAT WAS BUILT FROM THE MOLD.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the complete stories of the cars & of the mold documents beyond any reasonable doubt that you were wrong/mis-spoke about owning the "Milk Truck mold" will you finally admit you made a mistake??? Yes, you own "a Dan Woods Mold" - NOT the Milk Truck? Being honest will go a long way if you intend on selling these bodies. I know I wouldn't deal with someone who wasn't.

25. THIS JUST IN .... Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder have verified beyond a doubt that this is indeed the Dan Woods "Milk Truck" mold.

I was never a fan of C-cabs ... and I am certainly in no position to dispute whether or not you have an original Dan Woods mold, but it is very obvious that the Milk Truck ... in no way, shape or form, was pulled from that mold. Also interesting (after suffering through all of the babble on this post, and to which I am presently contributing:D) is the fact that the original poster has yet to admit to the obvious.

You may very well have an original Dan Woods mold ... but it appears to me that the only people that think it gave birth to the Milk Truck are Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and yourself. (to be honest, the Milk Truck is hideous, horrid and homely ... the C-cab pic that has been posted, and very closely resembles your mold is much better looking).

26. Abomb

Abomb

I have found some rare apples, who want's one ???

[​IMG]

I must say that I am baffled by the OP, he clearly does not have the milk truck mold, as there wasn't one, but is mad at everyone for pointing it out. He clearly owns a Dan Woods mold, and I love that era of show rod....here's to hopeing that the owner get it straight and produces some of these....

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

At this point Bernie is looking a little bit bad :D And we really want to do business with someone like him :rolleyes:.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  28. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

..........................well here it is...................

Any of the skeptics want to see this mold first hand and compare it to some of the pictures that others have posted i will meet you where i have it stored and you can look and touch it all you want. Until i get a call back from dan woods which he said he would everything is on hold.

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Bernie,

Since Dan is your guy, you should email Dan Woods a pic of your mold and let him have a look and reply back; that it's the mold for the Ice Truck rather than the Milk Truck. Maybe then you'll believe.

Better yet... lay up a body in your mold, pop it out and you can truly see what the mold gives birth to.

30. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

It's not the ice truck either.......

It's like the "Beer Truck" that's been posted already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.