Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

WOW, thanks for getting the date right...so that means dad went to Indy in '57, '58, and '59....(not '56-'58)...that would be Ollie Prather in the photo with dad, who owned Arcadia Auto Body in Arcadia, California, where we lived and dad was a policeman, so he and Ollie were friends. Ollie's son, Roy, still runs the business today at the same location.
    In fact, Roy has expanded the family body shop business to the building next door in, which was the Nicholson Bros. Speed Shop, Don and Harold Nicholson owned...long before Don became "Dyno Don" the drag racing hero.
    Harold was killed in a drag racing accident shorty after they opened the speed shop.

Here's an ad for the speed shop that appeared in the yearbook for the Arcadia High School class of 1953...

[​IMG]

and as it appeared two years ago

[​IMG]

2. Looks Like Debbie Reynolds.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Is this from real life or the TV show? It doesn't look like Broderick Crawford.:D One of the reasons I love 55 Buick 2dr sedans! 10-4

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

from a TV show

5. dukeofearl

dukeofearl

This was an eposode of Highway Patrol, it can still be viewedv on you tube, if you hunt around you can find several eposodes of Highway Patrol, Dragnet etc

6. v8nutter

v8nutter

7. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

MOEFUZZ, I LOVE the yesterday/today pics keep em coming!

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I was pretty sure it was. The reason I asked is I wondered, all these years, if The Highway Patrol really used Buick 2drs? They had 56 Buick's the following year. Most of our cop cars in the 50s were 4drs. I know about the late model Mustangs but I just wondered how accurate the show really was. I watched 'em when they first aired.:D

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Santa Monica, California

[​IMG]

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

11. noboD

noboD

Dragnet is on every night here. Last week the show was about an earthquake in Japan sending a sunami to Calif. Who'd a thunk it could happen?

12. seawolf

seawolf

I have the same problem with the blue goose posts, the pictures won't come up but I can read the captions.

13. moefuzz

moefuzz

A lot of the older cars were manufactured with copious amounts of wood and many companies (like Whippet) even had wooden frames well in to the late 20's.
    Steel presses couldn't handle large panels until the mid 30's so a lot was done as 'coach work' very similar to the days of stage coach and wagon building.

WWll was the biggest factor in the dress of the day especially for the ladies. Up until WWll, Women did not generally work much so dresses, skirts and blouses were the normal fair.

When the men went off to war, the women had to take their places in the factories and the order of the day was 'no loose clothing' so women wore pants.
    After WWll, women never fully returned to their 'feminine ways' and it became more common for them to dress casually in a style of pants and shirts that mimicked means wear.

14. Two of the Ford Patrol Cars appear to have the North Carolina Highway Patrol paint scheme, I am unsure if they are 1935's like the remaining one on display at the NC Transportation Museum in Spencer NC.

An excerpt from information about the automobiles in the museum's Bumper to Bumper exhibit explains:

"1935 was the first year policemen drove cruisers with radio receivers and 11/8-inch bulletproof windshields. The spare tire carrier was also recessed and the rumble seat removed to accommodate a stretcher. This car, discovered in a Greensboro junkyard, is the only survivor of the first 28 patrol cars ordered for 1935 for $560 each."
    While the windshield is bullet-proof, the car is a rag-top and there are no door windows. Hence, if the officer ever got into a gunfight, it was best to be facing the opponent.

A photo of the restored 1935 Patrol Car can be found here at these two links or on Flicker by a Google Search;

http://www.nccrimecontrol.org/Index2.cfm?a=000003,000014,000721,000732

http://policecarwebsite.net/fc/laytrac/nc.htm

15. grifcarnut

grifcarnut
    from Tucson Az

didn't the girl in #24463 go on to be the com officer in star trek with capt kirk?

16. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

No, Nichelle Nichols was Uhura on Star trek, and Gail Fisher was Peggy Fair on Mannix.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

No, the girl on Mannix was Gail Fisher. She did a bunch of TV but not Star Trek. Here's her info:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0279500/

18. The Jaycees "Mile of Dimes" Fundraiser held in July 1948 in HIGH Point, North Carolina.

NOTE: You may have to log in to see the three photos below;

This photo was posted by itself previously on this thread but i believe belongs with this group of photos and so reposted here.
    The Belk Stevens Store and NC license plate caught my eye.

[​IMG]

This man climbing out of the car in the photo below COULD be and reminds me of my late Grandfather who in addition to being a Baptist Minister near Mount Airy NC in 1948 was also a Salesman for the Kaiser, Fraizer, Willys, Henry J Dealership, McCann Motor Sales located in Galax VA.

[​IMG]

In the photo below he is pictured a few years later with a late '54 Supercharged Manhattan that he and my Grandmother purchased new from Jake Mink at McCann Motors.
    This is in front of the Showroom at the Dealership.

[​IMG]

I did a Google search and found that WFMR and Christian Radio Station WHPE were both broadcasting during this Fundraiser.
    Other photos with an article were published in the magazine linked here;

http://books.google.com/books?id=1U... of dimes auction&pg=PA32#v=onepage&q&f=false

Please message me if you can provide any further details of this event.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  19. The story on the CHP using 2 door 55 Buicks was that Buick built them a special run of Century 2 door post cars that you couldn't buy if you walked into the local Buick dealer. A Century wasn't available as a 2 door post for normal citizens, only the CHP got them. Sort of like a copo deal or taxi fleet special build program.

20. dukeofearl

dukeofearl

Many departments used 2 door sedans right up to the early 70s. The idea was cost reduction. Most police departments are at the mercy of the bean counters and they attempted to cheap out in the most ridiculous places. The idea was the more doors the more cost so many departments had and used 2 door sedans I know the CHP used them extensively in the 50s. Another way to cheap out was the engine. I n the big city the idea was you had no need of a big gas guzzling V-8 hence many departments had 6 cylinders . Chicago and New York are 2 examples. NYPD did not get a V-8 squad until the early 70s

21. Dick Weed

Dick Weed
    from Michigan

Mannix, I believe that Toro looks totalled...69 maybe?

22. Matlack083, your avatar is giving me a chubby. I drove B61s with quads for years. I still love em.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My cousin had a 55 2dr 3 on the tree. I can't remember the model.

In the late 60s, Maryland sold most of their 62 Biscayne 2dr sedan patrol cars. There was a short lived flood of them on the market. Used car dealers bought them in bulk. Epps Motors must have had 20 of them on their lot. Some they just primered over the door badge and lettering (very ugly olive drab with black fenders) but some they had repainted. If you ever find a 62 Biscayne 2dr sedan in a non-factorycolor, most were odd colors, that has 3 on the tree and the 327 300 HP engine, it probably was a Md. state trooper car once. They were cheap entry level cars for teens with a cool engine/trans combo.

24. KATFISH

KATFISH

Great, you failed your pregnancy test, what are we going to do now?

25. John F

John F

26. 41chevytruckinga

41chevytruckinga

mom, grandma, and aunt

27. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I have days like this!

28. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I told you those were not "to scale drawings"

29. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

I thought it was a scene from the show as well. However, they usually put another plate in place of the diamond E exempt CA plates for the show. I can see the diamond E in this shot which would lead one to think this was a real shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.