Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you say?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowriders Art Gallery, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I have a 1950 Mercury Flathead motor that was running ,but it smokes. I advertised in in our car club newsletter for $200. It is complete with starter. The first restorer who called about it said "I'll take it if you pull the heads and guarantee there are no cracks between the valves." My thought was typical restorer. There are enough parts on this engine to be worth $200, why would I want to tear it apart. I haven't responded yet, because I could be wrong. What would you say?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. damnfingers

damnfingers

Thanks but there will be other offers...I'll wait for them.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

"pound sand" comes to mind. 200 is hardly a gamble.

4. F&J

F&J

Jump through hoops for a lousy 200. ...plus gaurantee it. What a dreamer

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

Yup, all of the above. What an asshole.

6. rotenjon

rotenjon

shit! i paid 300 for mine out of the car in the junk yard knowing that the block was junk. But it was a merc and had a good crank so it was woth it to me

7. wandi harry

wandi harry

Yep ,I will pull the heads but it will cost you $200 for my labour and time.
    Oh and money up front thanks

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Tell them the crank is worth well over double that. $200 for a running flattie and they are still bustin your balls? typical

9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Tell him you'll do it but the price will then be $500

People are retards.

10. Where at in Montana? Just to spite the fucker I will buy it!

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

God damn junk metalflake steering wheels are a hundred bucks!! :D

12. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Classic
    2 thumbs up

13. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

I'd a said,"For $200 bucks you're welcome to come look and satisfy your self. If you want a Zyglo check and a guarantee the price goes to $750. Better hurry though because you are the fith or sixth caller and its first come first served"

14. We both know what I would say (when do we leave for SoDak)

How polite do you have to club members?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It's running and all you want is $200 ? Damn that's cheap !
    Tell him to get Fu**ed ! Sounds like a real asshole to say the least . What do you want for $200 when it runs ?
    Don't worry , it should sell very easily ! Just stick it on C/L and it will get sold fast . As long as someone can hear it run even if it's on the floor it will sell for a lousy $200 !
    Hell I sold one last winter for $275 and it didn't run but turned over . Guy was happy as hell with it !
    Don't let it get to you . I wouldn't give the guy an answer just for the way he is .

Retro Jim

16. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

keep his address info and when you sell it, let him know. the way he goes at it, he'll be looking a long, long time. good---lots of frustration for being a cheapass.

17. Tell him you'd like to be on the safe side, and that he should come over and you'd help him check the crank main bearing journals... one by one, with his ring muscle.

18. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

I would simply say... "No thank you."

19. "As is, where is. No warranty expressed or implied"

Tell him to piss up a rope.

20. Like the above posts but a little more civil, I'd explain the extremely low price is for "as-is". If I wanted to do all the work he requests the price would be $800 - $1000.

Last year I bought a running flattie for $800 and sold the frozen old engine for $200.

21. picasso

picasso

click.brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.Aw, wrong number.

22. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought an flathead partially apart for $250. I send him a money order, but I am a moron and lost the guys address and contact info so I can't even go pick it up. It's been almost 2 months and I still can't the paper I wrote his info down on. By now I assume he already gave/sold it to someone else. My fault for being an idiot.

If anyone knows a Dave in Delaware bitching that someone hasn't picked up a flathead he sold, PM me. I am still looking for his info and will give him a few bucks for storage fees due to my screw up.
    ________

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2012
  23. Thats too funny, he basically wants a warranty on a 60 yr old motor for $200.00 .

24. Remind him that Kias come with a 100 thousand mile grantee but yours is a merc and that he can buy the extended warranty for a nominal fee.

I can understand that if he wants to use the engine that he would like to know if it is cracked in the niormal places for one to crack but as i recall from my youth if you wanted to inspect someone's engine at the track you paid a fee to pull a head it was around 200 bucks. Owner chose the head and you doubled it to pull both heads. That was around 50 years ago and with inflation it could be astronimical by now.

25. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I would pull the heads and if there are no cracks, I would raise the selling price to at least $600. That way you know exactly what you have and your time has been paid for. Plus, I think 50 Mercs had hardened intake and exhaust seats. You could part the engine out for more than $200.

26. coupemerc

coupemerc

Don't take it apart. Around my area, flatties like that are going $600-$1200.

27. If I was anywhere near you, I'd buy it sight unseen for $200 . . .

28. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Just tell the guy to bring a set of gaskets when he comes and he can take the heads off himself and have a look, but if he breaks anything he's got to buy the motor.

Let's him know that you're not trying to hide anything.

. . . or tell him it's for sale as is, take it or leave it.

29. Were in Montana are you? If your not to far I'll give ya 200.00 for it.

30. Maybe we need to meet up in Big Sky country for a couple beers and and engine sale!?:cool: