Register now to get rid of these ads!

exhaust on bagged car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, Apr 4, 2011.

1. noxided

noxided

ive got a bagged 1961 studebaker and im trying to get it road ready cuz im tired of trailering it to shows.

how can i run the exhaust out the side or rear so i can pass inspection. It lays frame so it cant fo out the side and there is not much room to go over the axle.
    [​IMG]

2. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Use square or oval tube to go over the axle. Takes up less room.

That or air it up, get inspected, modify the pipes, and lay out.

3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

That's what I was gonna say.

Cool car by the way.

4. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

nice looking car man!! dump it before the axle thats what a lot of people do

5. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

Do you have pics of the rear suspension?

6. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

What are the laws in your area for inspection? Are there minimum requirements, or specific places it has to exit? Are you running single exhaust or duals?

7. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Run tailpipes under the rear. If your car sits high enough that it can go over the rear, it needs to be lower anyway!

8. noxided

noxided

well the pipes must exit past the rear or out the side. It lays frame so it cant go out the side, so i will see if i can get some oval tubes and run it over the axle.

9. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

Just run it under the rear end. If your worried about removing the rear end in the future, just have them put a flange on the pipes just in front of the axle.

10. Squablow

Squablow

The pipes in my bagged '64 Oldsmobile run under the rear axle. Even all the way aired up, there's plenty of clearance. No reason they have to go over the axle. As mentioned, if you think you'll need to get the rearend out, add some bolt on flanges to the tail pipes so you can separate them later.

11. 39ChevyRatRod

39ChevyRatRod

I also vote for under the axel, I just did that on my recently bagged 53 Chevy and it is working out perfectally. Mine also lays frame.

12. Greezeball

Greezeball

Mines not bagged but it's under the axle.

13. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

awesome little car man, those are sadly overlooked!

about runnin the exhaust under the axle, wouldnt the mountin points rip off when aired all the way up?
    I ripped one of mine once, and my exhaust goes over it not under it.
    I say under it is good for static drops.

Pics of the bottom of the car would help! i hate exhaust work btw.

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not familiar with the type of frame on those cars, but is there anywhere you can run it through the frame, to get from inside the rails to outside?

15. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

Take it to FMG in Crosby 2813284714 and let them do they can do amazing work tell him Brian with the Plymouth told you to call and he will hook you up.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  16. farmer12

farmer12

Great idea. This is what I'm going to do as well.

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

how can you run exhaust under the rear end on a bagged car??? its gonna rip it off the mounts the 1st time you air it up!
    what the hell am i missing here?

18. 39ChevyRatRod

39ChevyRatRod

Bonez, its an easy problem to remedy you just build the system with the car fully aired up and alow an inck or so of clearance. That how I made mine and I dont have any problems, I left and inch of gap between the pipes and the axel. Besides I normally dont drive in the fully aired position anyhow.

19. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

I made mine where the bottom of the pipes were just a hair above the bottom of the frame, and carried that hight straight back under the axles and through the rear bumper. That left plenty of room for the bags to inflate/deflate.

20. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

umh, yeah, maybe not a big problem on a full size car now that i think of it.
    i was tinkin how difficult it was on my small unibody ford to have an exhaust that didnt rip the mounts every time i air up or lay flat!

keep us updated still, i'd love to see that thing all done. a video w/ sound would be treat too.