Register now to get rid of these ads!

Portland Swamp Meat.. Whos goin?!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Monster, Mar 7, 2011.

1. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

was their any 39-46 chevy/gmc truck parts there

2. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

I had a great time, picked up some old Ford stuff, a 34 axle and bone for $200, later sold it for $250. A complete 40 pickup column with box for $40, a freshly reconditioned 34 radiator for $250, and a new set of tires for my buddy compliments of Hector from Coker. Already making plans for next year.

3. april may

april may

PS. Take your complaints to where it matters. Bitchin here isn't going to get anyones attention. Email [email protected] and tell them what you think.

PSS.
    Talked to a guy from out of town that was buying shit up at the expo, and taking it over to the track and doubling his money. You guys gotta get up earlier!

4. daddylama

daddylama

^ nice meeting you april may (saturday @ the meetup in hall... ahh... e? a? i dunno, wherever it was)

monster, the dropout; cool seeing you guys today!

rode around PIR on my bike this morning. got a mystery Edmonds intake for something inline for $10. other than that, it was like a flea market.
    i also got hit on by some lady that got all gussied up to come talk to me... by gussied up, i mean she put her teeth in. i don't scare easily, but when a slingblade lookin' woman comes up and starts talking about my eyes being pretty... i nearly pissed myself in fear. pure fear.

tossed the bike in the truck and walked over to Expo center with the radio flyer and my swap meet partner (5yo daughter). walked the whole thing twice.
    Got a single Offy flathead head for $10
    another couple US Indy slot mags (one free, one $20)
    a sweet drilled A axle and rear spring for $30 together.

off topic, but i really wanted a nice running '72 nova that was there marked down to a grand... tried talking the dude into taking $500 today. pretty glad he didn't take the offer; don't need yet another project.

in all, good times... loves me some swap meets :)

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

we made it down there about 11 this morning and parked right outside the gate at the track and walked in. He who doesn't go till. Sunday doesn't get much in the way of parts. I think my Aussie Harley had more fun checking things out than I did. I picked up some tools from one of those tool tent guys for a good price and got a rough looking but heavy duty slide hammer for an ok price.
    Then on the way out I picked up Three 17 inch Chevy 6 lug wires with 7.00 tires on them by a trash can. The guy with the booth behind the trash can slipped up because he could have got a few bucks out of me for them. They may or may not end up on the boat tail. Could end up on the trailer tagging along behind it though.
    We had fun, got some exercise made it back home by a little after 8 with a stop in the Dalles to buy a microwave.

6. The_Monster

The_Monster

Well, I think that this was one of the best swamp meets Ive been to in a long time. This was my 31st year in a row. So... for the complainers...(???)

The PIR had some dumb crap here and there, so what? Compaired to the massive dominating percentage of real car stuff.. come on. :rolleyes:

And the EXPO was ROCKIN this year. In years past...( with no ecomonic hardships to blame ) Hall A would be vacant of venders. This year it was wall to wall in every building and fence to fence outside.

PIR in years past was void of venders on the wide west side turn, and had very little infield stuff. This year... both sides of the track all the way around and the infield was slamed!

I had a rad time, sold a grip of stuff and bought just as much if not more. Id list it all, but la la la..!

Anyways, lookin forward to next year! Best swamp meet around in my book. No complaints!!!

7. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

Had a great time as always. Sold a few things (not enough but did ok) bought a few things, drank a few beers & enjoyed meeting some of you (the meet & greet was cool, thanks again rustybill for the present) A few hambers stopped by the booth & said "Hi" also.

8. zboo2

zboo2
    BANNED

Sold the car we took, sold around 75% of the $ value we did last year. Picked up a few decent deals but scored big time it looks like on a rare Pontiac qjet, been told it's worth up $3500., got it for $15. If the guy would have said $50, I probably would have left it there.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My friends who had booths at Expo outside did just the opposite. Bought at PIR on Wed. setup, then took them over to their booth at Expo and sold them over the weekend.
    Heard lots of stories of all the venders putting out great stuff Sunday for $1-$2, and finally free in the afternoon. I may have to go back Sunday next year in addition to Thu.-Fri.!!!

10. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Made it on Sunday, and there was still plenty to enjoy. Scored an old magazine I was looking for for $5.00, then went around the corner and found a lady selling the same ones for $.25 cents. Found the back seat i was looking for for my '41 Fordor, only I would have had to buy the whole car to get it. Considered it for a while....
    Saw the '41 Ford P/U I traded last year for my '40 Tudor DeLuxe. The guy was asking a grand less than what I bought it for a few years ago.
    Best part of the whole thing was my Sweety didn't mind a bit being dragged throuogh it all, I thinkl I'll keep her.

11. I managed to pick up a 23" Lokar nostalhia shifter for the 727 in my 50 dodge for 30% off the 2009 price thanks to Zigs. And my pops picked up a set of baby moons and trim rings.

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

I had a good year too......Picked this up for the new motor I'm building for the T :D

[​IMG]

:cool: Oh yeah.

13. april may

april may

Yup! Right around noon booth vendors to the left and right gave boxes of free stuff away. Don't know if it was junk or not, but free is free.

14. Choptop

Choptop

To me a swap meet has always been 50% parts, 50% people and 50% knowledge. I'll pick up stuff I really dont know what it goes to and start asking questions. Chances are you are going to learn something new if you do that... and who knows where the conversation will go. You might find a secret parts stash, or get a lead on the one part you DO really need, or file some bit of knowledge away for use later.

Who knows what will happen to ya when you leave the house :D

15. Left Sammamish 6 AM Saturday and got back 9 PM. Spent a whopping $12 to get in both meets and $12 more on a So Cal license plate rim for wifey. Great time with Jagfxr1949, North Portland Custom, Miss behavin Speed Shop, April May. Seemed as though there were a lot more completed cars sold this year than last. Project cars seemed to go piking. Man, there were some squalls coming through and we hit a couple of gully washers coming home.

16. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Made it there Saturday with a friend from out of town. We covered the Expo area before my back told me I'd had enough. I looked at a set of stainless garnish trim for my truck, but never did buy anything. I had the pleasure of meeting April May also, but didn't see anyone else I knew. Next year I'll attempt the track side.

17. couverkid

couverkid

I bought a 29 roadster body in pieces,40 ford steering wheel, 36 ford solid hood sides, guide 682c headlights,40 ford bumper with good chrome,olds starter changeover,edelbrock regular high rise 2-2 intake for flathead,chrome 40 ford backing plates,40 ford steering column,pair of KH wire wheels, pair of 37 ford V8-60 wheels,40 ford deluxe grill,49 chev license plate guard. Think thats it. Most at PIR the least I have ever bought at expo.

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Wanna sell that 40 wheel?:D

19. oldschool55

oldschool55

Think this is about the 30th year for me, just happy if it doesn't rain. Didn't buy too much, but still had a real good time. I also think that the chopped '50 was a good deal, wouldn't want to try to build it for $25000 now adays.

20. daddylama

daddylama

i stopped and looked over that '47 plymouth w/title for $500 about 10 times yesterday at Expo. lotsa bondo and rust... but damn i want one of them about as much as i need not to have yet another project...

blown SBM, 4spd and straight axle... $10k later have a 1/2 way done gasser plymouth :D

21. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

I had a fun time. It was my first one, so I wasn't expecting the parking nightmare, and paying $10 for the privilege. I think next time I'll take Max, I'm not too proud to carry a motor or someting on the train. :p

I was also a little bummed that there weren't very many '54 Ford car parts, I had a couple things on my list, but I only saw a single 223 for sale complete, didn't see any Ford inline-6 speed parts at all (lots of stuff for Chev sixes of course), and could count the '54 Ford trim parts I found on half of one hand.

I was also a little annoyed at the guys selling "vintage" signs and "vintage" plate toppers (read: new) for 60% more than they could be had from Speedway or eBay. Hopefully people didn't spend too much money on that junk.

22. phukinartie

phukinartie

The booth we had sold great and I was making the best deals I could! 2 of the guys with me bought more than they sold....But thats the way it is supposed to be right?

23. Payaso

Payaso

I had a Great time...I was there with my Buddies Booths from 6am Friday morning and didnt get home until 8pm that night...Bought everything I had on my list...major stuff for the build!! I Love the Wheel'n and Deal'n with folks! My favorite find was a set of Ceramic Coated Fenderwell headers, never ran, for $75 bucks!! New are $275 bucks!!! Of course the guy just had them laying around and wasnt sure what motor they were for and/or how he even got them. The second was a B&M QuickSilver (Brand new in the box for a $150...Summit wants $235 +shipping!!! Walking around for 14 hours and not being afraid bargaining...Pays off!! Then we were back Open to Close Sunday and got a set of Finned valve covers for an insane price...the guy didnt want to haul them home to Bakersfield, Ca...So I hauled them back to my house!!!

If ya never been to the Portland Swap...Get there next year!!!

24. The_Monster

The_Monster

Payaso, Hell yea!! Thats the attitude Im talkin about! Gettin out there and talkin with guys. If you just keep to yourself, or blast by on a bicycle... youre missin the point.

I had looked for a 53 2dr post plastic model kit for a LONG time. They made them way back. The most recent is a hardtop with a different roof line. Anyways, I got to talkin with a guy that has some models and mentioned the one I was lookin for. He said he had it and would bring it the next day.

Sure enough, I went back and he had it. Unopened kit, plus one that was already built and missin parts, thrown in for free!

I love gabbin with folks at the meet. For me, thats half the fun of it. That and riding on a school bus again! haha!

25. Yeah the bus ride was funny..carrying a big chrome grille on a oacked bus with your 6'6 buddy next to ya! And Payaso, I saw your pickup..sadly we never met up!

26. I didn't think it was as good this year. I still enjoyed it though; I saw some great friends and found a couple of cool items. Got a 1 1/2 ton chain comealong with a two-part block for $4. Also got a box of original '59 Cadillac tail lights, with all the mounting hardware in a little bag for $10. Pretty hard to beat that. I'll be back.

27. I really needed to find a 223 Ford 6cyl thermostat housing but struck out. Tried to buy one off a complete engine but that was a no-go too.

Did score a buncha $5 stuff for my '48 pickup.
    $5 primo set of '57 Ford poverty caps
    (didn't need them, sold later)
    $5 pair of good 53-56 Ford PU tail lights
    (needed something bigger than stock for ass riders)
    $5 another set tail lights w/script lenses & chrome bkts
    (found these after the 1st set but much nicer)
    $5 stock air cleaner
    $5 set of 3 pancake baby moons (I needed 2)
    $5 really cool pair of old hooded rear view mirrors
    (period correct and no more peep mirrors)
    $10 set of nice '46 Ford hubcaps for my 'stock' wheels

Attached Files:

28. Soreback

Soreback

We had a great time this year. Sold 80% of our stuff on Wednesday trying to set up our booth. Got a couple of good buys on cast T-Bird valve covers 2 pr 300 bux. A pair of Holman/Moody pent roof FE valve covers for 40. The bad.. a guy a couple booths down had a set of crager s/s's with tires stolen. We also have a deposit on stuff were bringing next year!

29. HotWare

HotWare

Great meet...thanks Chris for lettin go of that column....i love the shiney stuff! Sold a TON of stuff and resisted the urge to buy anything I didn't need. Still came home with that overpriced deuce......

30. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

I had a blast!

Monster, I went by your booth a couple times on Saturday, you must have been "gabbib with folks" haha. I met your dad.

I scored some skirts for the '54 the fuel float I was looking for and an oil filter housing and a neat tool box.

I have to say one of the best meets I've been to for a couple of years.