Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to repair/use these aluminum wheels???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRON MAIDEN, Apr 3, 2011.

1. hartmen

hartmen
    BANNED

2. metal man

metal man

It's fun to pick on 'em but I'll admit that they have their place on some kind of vehicle, just not a HAMB friendly vehicle.When I was little, I liked them on the A-team van and that Corvette Summer mess.I got over that, but there certainly are uglier wheels out there than these. The funny part is, he didn't really ask us if we liked them, just if he could-should use them:) I think he got some valuable responses.

3. ironhead68

ironhead68

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Attached Files:

• 472.jpg
      472.jpg
      File size:
      512.5 KB
      Views:
  4. rustdodger

rustdodger

Am I hearing the "ugly" crowd right? You should LEARN on rare desirable parts instead of figuring out how to do things on parts that may not be missed as much now. I that the the line of thought? There are some here who like to learn to do things and share what has been learned. But why do that when you can throw stones at someone looking to learn?
    To those of you who gave USEFUL input to this discussion thanks for the input I for one picked up a few pointers for future use.

5. Many unilug wheels came without the recessed washer pocket.

6. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

I like em, whether anybody else does or not.

7. metal man

metal man

See , now I feel bad. Those actually look fine on that car.

8. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes
    from Minnesota

The original poster didn't ask if you guys like the wheels just how to fix them. If your just useing them as rollers for the shop they would be just fine as is. Now I wouldn't advise to drive around on the street with them just to dangerous. That is my .02 cents.
    Matt

9. badsco

badsco

To run them centered and without vibration, my though would be to source a hub-centric spacer to make sure the wheel fits centered on the hub (as the lug holes are damaged and no longer reliable to center on), then use the correct style lugs for mounting. Those spacers are used a lot on import wheels, whether or not they would be available in whatever size needed here is another question, but spinning them up on a lathe wouldn't be that hard/expensive.

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I've read through this thread,and so far I've seen Gen Lee, 70s and 80s vans, the a team, and am wondering if I'm in the right place?
    Paul

11. way to repair these wheels; weld up the holes and remachine.
    best use; bolted to the wall to hold hoses.

12. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

That's actually a clever idea ; )

13. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

This isn't my truck. It's a guy I talk with on a Harvester site who grafted his International frame to a Monte Carlo's frame. No it's not Hamb friendly, but that isn't what this thread was about. Glad that's what it turned into. Rather than it being a thread where a bunch of members from a great site contribute their knowledge, experience, and ideas to help out other members. I'm glad I received so many opinions on them, you know what they say about opinions. It's obvious why that saying is around. Appears to be a lot of them around ; ) To each his own. I for one get tired of seeing the same thing. How many times do you need to see the same wheels? Maybe I should just run Cragers! Oh, they are not period correct. My bad. FYI, eventually I will own a few different sets of wheels for it. That's been my plan anyway. I want some painted reverse smoothies with chrome baby moons and beauty rings. Centerlines simply because it's what I remember seeing on every muscle car I liked growing up in the 70's & 80's. $$$$ will determine what I find though. Just keeping my eyes open for the deal to show up. These will work for my mock up and maybe end up recycled or hose hangers....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

I hope you don't do any swim suit contest judging, dude you need glasses if you think those wheels arn't bad looking

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure you are correct and pretty sure I fought with those damned things when I worked in the tire store or when I was doing alignment work at dealerships. You absolutely have to have the correct lug nuts and washers though.

One time fighting one of those in the rain on the side of the road and they all will be on their way to the scrap yard real quick anyhow.

16. glassguy

glassguy

i can dig em.. in an early 70s kinda way.. there were a ton of bad ass lookin hot rods in the early 70s i know by todays standards the tires stuck out to far and the ride hight was to hi etc.. but some still looked so godamn meen! i say run them, and get a set of thrush sidepipes to keep with the theme. throw some pics up too!

17. bjaman

bjaman
    from winnipeg

I have to agree with welding, machining, and drilling new holes to fix them up. Those are ugly rims if you threw them on a camaro or some other car. I have a pair with some "burn out tires" on my '50 binder. they don't look to bad. I'd rock a full set if i had a full set but im running a set of keystone raiders (uni lug).

18. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

Weld them up and remachine your lug pattern