Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. This car went through a few changes,wheels outside,wheels inside,etc. Dennis Doubleday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Yup!

That's the one, pretty cool, especially from that low angle.

Thanks a lot for that.

3. WCD

WCD

Dennis Doubleday came to the rescue in providng the pictures.

4. Tedly

Tedly
    from PA

Hey it was painted and lettered which makes it nicer than a lot of the cars that raced back then

5. BloFish

BloFish

Nice photo there.

6. xdragnewsphotog

xdragnewsphotog
    from Loudon NH

Hey storm king...was thats "Genes" out of Worcester? I remember a few of his cars!!

7. pro/spectator

pro/spectator

I saw it at the Detroit Autorama a few years ago........still looked awesome.

8. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

9. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Some real nice photos,kopperkart.
    Every one of them.Thanks.
    Where was the track?

10. storm king

storm king

Sure was exdragnewsphotog. We ran them in '68 at Conn. That was THE year for me racing, Jon Lundberg announcing, heads up super stick with Ford, Mopar and Chevy all running the formula that pro stock began with, cubic inch to weight (except unlike NHRA's policy, everybody had to play by the same rules).
    The only chevy that even came close to winning was the week when Joe Tyson, I think it was, showed up with one of Grumpy's Toys.

11. ...another local car I saw back in the day.Tom Parmenter in the Big Daddy's Speed Shop "Tom Terrific". Dennis Doubleday

[​IMG]

12. thehazguy

thehazguy

Not sure if this qualifies as a drag car in motion. Don "The Snake" Prudhomme after a match race in 1966 at Island Dragway. They pushed the fuel cars into the spectator side so the fans could get a close up look. Had to be 18 back then to get in the pits.

Attached Files:

13. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

14. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Ok,US30-famous track.Thanks for that link.Good and sad reading.
    Our local track has been closed for over 30 years.It's still vacant and for sale though it will never be a strip again.

15. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Here is the Gene's Speed Shop car now. Found and restored by Gene's nephew.

[​IMG]

16. storm king

storm king

That was a 2% car, I still have the pix I took of it somewhere so that if we wanted to protest it we could have. We beat it so bad we didn't bother to protest it.
    It didn't have tinted headlights back then, and unless it's just the picture here, the colors are off a bit from "back in the day".

17. RM-Special

RM-Special

Here is a bit of "in Motion"staged for the TV cameras , the dragbike is sweet ! cheers RM
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ief7aG1nVUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. jaytee

jaytee
    from Ireland

The car was featured in the July 73 issue of Drag Racing USA

19. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

I saw it when it was displayed at Musclepalooza a few years ago, when it was looking a little "worse for wear", shall we say! How goes the resto? I'd appreciate seeing some updated pics, as the only one I have is from then. I've seen a lot of vintage Olds stocker pics, but I don't ever recall seeing yours.

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I posted this along time ago, but I just found the old print and thought I'd try to get a better scan out of it. This was Lions in '66. Obviously, Dick Brannan won against Phil Bonner. It's kind of grainy because it's cropped a lot because I was so far up in the grandstands. No telephoto lenses for this kid back in those days.

[​IMG]

21. Probably my favorite shot of all time!! Phil is still upset about this, he said he should have beat Brannan...LOL The Falcon got wheelie bars before the next race...:D

22. dragway classic

dragway classic
    from U.P.

One of the all time BEST photos,but I think those are 2 of the BEST time cars.GREAT WORK.

23. flintstonecharger

flintstonecharger
    from Mass.

Hello Storm King,always good to hear old race stories from the "Good Old days" Will have to ask Uncle Gene if he remembers giving you a " zing "about your car's appearance,he has always been a ball buster,lots of years practicing! If you ever find those pics. always like seeing new finds.Have pics. from 67 that has tinted headlites.We tried to replicate paint best we could but had to rely on old pics. and they all showed shading & colors different.Even now with current paint you get many different shades depending how the sun hits car,Later, SteveO

24. Muttley

Muttley

25. Muttley

Muttley

26. Muttley

Muttley

27. Muttley

Muttley

28. Muttley

Muttley

29. Muttley

Muttley