Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rivet Removal - Is there a right way?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Mar 29, 2011.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way to go! That air hammer beats the hell out of swinging a BFH! Doesn't it?

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks for the pics and testimonial! Rather than spend this weekend removing rivets,I spent it reattaching my plow to my truck after one of the claws snapped clean off... the snow was HEAVY. I can't wait for real spring.

3. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Real Spring?? what's that?

I second the drill/air hammer method... or, if it's something heavy rip the heads off with a chisel bit in the air hammer, then pound 'em out with a punch bit.

grinding, and grinding, and grinding, and then pounding and pounding and pounding... is soooo not worth it.

I tried using a spot weld cutter once too.. center punch the heads, and start drilling... broke quite a few spot weld cutters... Snap On has a great warranty though!

4. Gigantor

Gigantor

Real Spring? Well, I could see grass the other day and was walking around outside in a t-shirt. Friday morning the sky opened up and dumped 14 inches all over everything... most of it melted on Saturday... but it just started snowing again about an hour ago.

Pretty good excuse to turn the heat on in the garage and get at them rivets...

5. This is the way. The thinner you can make the rivet wall with out going through the easier they are to punch out. This has worked the best way on the thousands of rivets I have removed.

Doug.

6. Dave Zapatka

Dave Zapatka

Beat to fit. Paint to match !