Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Some more of J. White. The 1st shot in the above post shows Dizz Wilson and J.W. accepting a check and hardware from the Winchester Speedway owner for setting the speed record which is refered to in this first pic. The 3rd pic is a second or two before him going over the fence at Terra Haute.

Attached Files:

• jw5.jpg
      jw5.jpg
      File size:
      150 KB
      Views:
    • jw 6.jpg
      jw 6.jpg
      File size:
      364.1 KB
      Views:
    • jw7.jpg
      jw7.jpg
      File size:
      180.4 KB
      Views:
  2. christiea29

christiea29

Thank you sweetie. No doubt it would have been the best to see him and Rich have at it.. That would of been a dream. They both mean so much to me. I just want to be able to show my son things I have never seen and know about him. To pass on all the good old stories and memories. With out the memories It seems we would have nothing. Thank you again. I'm on page 156. I'll be on here when I'm 80 still trying to catch up on this thread.lol

3. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

NEED HELP-----Denny Motter-Mainville Ohio, where are you. Call Lance Brookshire with the Antique Auto Racing Assoc. or somebody that may know how to get ahold of him.

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Well.. I got corrected too.. Saturday I asked Jim about it.. and he filled me in. The car had Silver A&N fittings the first two years, then when it was in the #15 configuration it DID HAVE RED AND BLUE fittings!!! They were air craft of coarse, but they ARE correct.. ;)

Interesting...

5. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, I posted A couple photos of the trailer I’ve been fixing up on the midget thread. So I thought I would put up A couple here too. I am still waiting for my pumps. So nothing new on the badger. Started on the body but only At the beginning. I did work on my fathers old race car trailer. Still not finished. This is the trailer I will be using to hall the car. I remember one time after we ran A show. A couple came in the pits and told my father. They were driving around on A Saturday and saw the race car. They drove up to see what kind of car it was and to check it out. So they decided to follow us. Well they followed right to the track and watched the races and were surprised that there was racing every sat. night. (not no more) I never forgot that. I have memories of falling sleeping up in the back window watching the roll cage bouncing up and down. Thanks, Tom

Attached Files:

6. doc540

doc540

Childhood heroes?

Of course, my dad was #1 because he flew a B-17 and looked more commanding than Jimmy Stewart.

And next were race car drivers at Playland Park and Meyerland Speedway in Houston: Billy Wade, Doc Cossey, A. J. Foyt, Jr., Billy Griswold, and Buddy Rackley.
    [​IMG]

Nothing could warp a child's mind more than the smell of cotton candy from the midway and Castor oil from the track. I didn't have a chance...been hooked ever since.

My favorite was Buddy Rackley, and I must've seen Rackley race with the number "8", so "8" it had to be:
    [​IMG]

(Sadly, the track would be closed after Blackie Lothringer went through the Playland Park fence, killing three people including a track co-owner in 1959.)
    http://blogs.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2008/10/a_tragic_day_at_playland_park.html

Billy Wade at Playland:
    [​IMG]

Some say that's Jud Larson, 5th from the left, top row
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  7. Looks like Jud to me.

8. lol

9. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Looks like Jud to me too.

10. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Hi All, does anyone have a son or grandson they would like to give a start in Historic Racing to??
    You could do a lot worse than looking at this Roadster on E-bay
    Item #230605192305
    Built by Dan Gurneys main fabricator type guy and in the Eagle barn for years it is as sweet a gem as I have ever seen.
    I hope somebody off here gets it .
    Can someone more computer adroit transfer the pictures over , it is just beyond me .
    Good Luck ,
    Cheers Greg

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Greg,
    That is an interesting car... a "roadster style" F-3 car? Gary

12. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

That is a gorgeous little car, but I'm curious - if it was meant to run as an F-3, why was it fitted with dirt tires? Could it be that it was going to be re-purposed as a TQ after the F-3 deal folded? Obviously, it never raced as such (no nerfs, no track damage), but it makes you wonder...

Attached Files:

13. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Nice piece of work but my guess is that this was built as "roadster" style TQ midget and knowing the wheelbase might support that theory.

The only things F-3 about it are the 30 cubic inch size of the engine, the motorcycle transmission and the fairly large fuel tank.

The engine offset is to get the chain drive on the side of the chassis necessitated by the fact that the engine is front mounted, secondarily perhaps for weight bias, and to allow for the drivers legs.

F-3 cars of the period were dominantly rear engined, independent suspension front and rear, and used 15 inch wheels. The rear axles were typically double U-jointed half shafts driven from the single chain driven sprocket from the motorcycle geartbox.

This car is really a dichotomy...

...underpowered (45 cubic inches allowed) and probably heavy for a TQ but with typical suspension and the alternatively used 12 inch wheel size.

...disadvantageous engine placement, suspension and wheel size for a F-3 but with typical gearbox and large fuel capacity.

The wheels appear to be 4 lug Crosley.

There appears to be a kick starter shaft extending out the right side which was not required on either style of car. Because the F-3 cars had a clutch and gear box, they were easy to push start by one or two pit crew who got them rolling and then the clutch was released and off you went. Ask the man who owned one.

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

THE MILLER FIRED AND DROVE TODAY!!!

Complete success. Fired right away and sounded great! I'll post pics tomorrow... Very tired. ;)

J Shaw

15. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

I started and drove the Rasmussen roadster out of the garage today!!!

Attached Files:

16. baldtireman

baldtireman

Wonderful!!!!!

17. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

See you and the 88? on the track in 3 weeks!
    HCICA Fontana April 29-May 1

18. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Carl s
    I will be at Fontana with my brother and his FV No. 2, painted red. I will also be around Larryfitz helping, stop by and say hi. I would love to take the 88, but I need to take baby steps.

I will be at Fontana with my brother and his FV, no.2, painted red. I will also be around Larryfitz helping him. Stop by and say hi. I would love to being the 88 but not sure that is the best place for the first time out. Need to take baby steps.

19. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I don't think Eldon is on here but I'm gonna see him next month in Indy and tell him about this site I'm sure he would enjoy it. Matter of fact I'm gonna spread the word and see how many other folks are interested. Denny Z

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Nifty little car, looks kinda like the genesis of those Legends/Thunder Roadsters.

Attached Files:

• 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      131.6 KB
      Views:
    • tr.jpg
      tr.jpg
      File size:
      124 KB
      Views:
  21. jimg12

jimg12

The Thunder Roadsters look better if they looked like this car.
    jim

22. When I grow up, I wanna be Steve!!

23. Varley73

Varley73
    from Australian

hey 29 sedanman, i thought you might be intrested to know the pic you put up with the winged car, those cars were raced in Australia in the late 60's early 70's, and a in Western Australia, we still race modern versions with the 1 dimensional wing on top and less powerfull engines compared to sprintcars, i race one and if you like i can post a picture for ya

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  24. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Weaverville,
    I wish I was your age again.
    Steve

25. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Not on topic just a picture I found for Bob Cicconi He was unbeatable in Atlantic City with ths car for two indoor seasons

Attached Files:

26. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

The best part was that I still had hair then! Yo Billy- how're you feeling?

27. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Getting better slow process three to four months until I can put weight on hip

28. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Billy,
    Will you be coming to the ARDC races with your team?

29. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Dear Congress, This past year I mismanaged my funds due to rising costs of utilities, groceries, and gasoline. Until I have come to a unified decision of a budget that fits all of my needs, such as medical care and food, I will have to shut down my checkbook and will no longer be able to pay my taxes. I'm sure you'll understand. Thank you very much for setting an example we can all follow.

30. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Ha!!! Good one...