Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti Thief device, that's going to stop or will attract more attention then needed !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Apr 1, 2011.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

There are numerous brands of car alarms that will give audible plus page the owner. Audiovox and Viper both have systems that do it. I've got Audiovox alarms in my Austin gasser and my Suburban. Along with a battery disconnect sw. that has a removeable key. The alarms are wired ahead of the key so they still work with the battery disconnect locked off.
    Every little bit helps, but doing nothing wont help at all.

2. An audible alarm will slow down any thief.
    Hide It.....
    Use a battery cut off with a removal key.
    Use a separate battery power for the alarm.
    Check out the single alarms for house doors and windows.
    Use a hood light as a motion / tow switch to activate the alarm.
    A good thief will reconize aftermarket wiring in a car, use factory type wires and
    route them in the main harnesses, not by themself.
    A fuel shut off.
    I rewired an OT car that had a very unique alarm system. In order to start the car you had to put your foot on a pressure switch. IF you did not push the switch and tried to start the car the lights would flash and the horn would blow. It was made using factory wires and factory type relays. There was a motion detector ( from a corvette) wired into the system as well. I took it all out and installed a cigarette lighter switch wired into the igniton system. This shut down the electic fuel pump and ignition.

I still will vote for the .40 and a silent alarm any day.....

BTW......I am an Insurance Investigator.......

3. vetrod62

vetrod62

Last year I tried to set up a business to provide low cost GPS for classic cars. It covered all the short falls GPS has. Ran a promotion on the biggest Corvette site. Lots of interest, no takers . Go figure with cars valued 40K to 110K. It would take several thousand sales to make it worth while. So, I gave it up. Now only my friends and I have them in our cars and trailers. WTF

4. petebert

petebert

5. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

years ago was living in an apt. building where the redneck manager was at war with a pizza delivery guy. One day he chains a 55 gallon drum to the bumper of the pizza guy's beater Datsun. Pizza boy comes strollin' back out and just drives off - barrel swingin' to-n-fro behind him like a big mace into oncoming traffic... :eek:

didn't see the barrel or the pizza guy again though.

6. if your selling & the price is right I'd be interested in two

7. fonti

fonti

every lock can be opened, sooner or later...

that's about the only advantage of having a hot rod in the "hot rod desert"! I don't think that there is someone stealing a rod here in Switzerland...they're known pretty well and they have no fucking chance to ever resell it here...

BUT: the thing with the bomb and the lost face is not bad!!

8. Diavolo

Diavolo

Here's one I heard from another forum. Pay as you go "smart" phone with GPS tracker installed on it. Wire it for constant charging and throw it in the trunk and leave it on. When your car gets stolen, use the software to "locate" your vehicle then call the cops. Easy peasy. Or you can do what I do and drive something no one wants to steal.

Or this... the Magnavolt!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNVxHPJ0hM

"...and it won't even run down your battery."

9. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

I just bought a viper system and have yet to install it, i comes with a key chain and a 1/4mile 2 way key chain, it will tell me exactly what the thief is doing, if hes starting it up, opening the door, popping the hood, getting jacked up by a tow truck, or even just looking in the window. You can also set it up to run a kill switch spliced into your ignition wire so if they do steal it you push a button and the car turns off and then you proceed to pound their face in as they are trying to figure out what just happened.

10. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

making it harder to steal a vehicle is a good thing.... depending on the police to find said vehicle after it's stolen... not so much.

I had my Cutlass stolen on Halloween last year. The officer who took the report saw my car driving out of town. In his words, "It looked suspicious, but I was busy"..... The town my car was stolen in, is far from busy. The car was stolen in Ft. Calhoun, NE (washington county), I live in Omaha, (douglas county). It took 4-5 days for my car to show up in the system as stolen.

I got a warrant in the mail from Council Bluffs (Iowa) because my car was used in a hit and run the day after it was stolen. A friend of mine found the car in a parking lot after about a week, that's patrolled by police (the car looked stolen).. We called the police, and they came to run us off.. They didn't come to check out my car, they came for a "domestic disturbance" (I guess that's what they call 2 kids in a parking lot). They then insisted on taking my car to the impound to search for "evidence" and "finger print it"... what really happened is, the car sat in impound for 3 weeks and nobody did a damn thing.

The kicker is, thanks to fliers I posted, I knew exactly who stole my car. (I even talked to the kids parents). The police called it hearsay, and said they needed to catch him with the car. That made me wonder why they even impounded it.

I talked to numerous "investigators" and "detectives" who were "hard at work" on my case.. Two told me that they were too busy to bother with it, there were more important robberies to solve. In other words "shut up kid, it's an old car, go buy a new one". Other detectives were adamant that I "stole" my car and was trying to make some quick insurance money, or maybe I got wasted and wrecked it. Or that I just reported it stolen, and then want on a rampage and decided to destroy it.

In the long run. I will never. expect the police or local law enforcement to help me retrieve stolen property again.

Our house has been broken into twice and about the same thing happened. They come out, file a report, and then they're done. Thousands of dollars worth of property, money, guns, jewelry, electronics, etc are missing and they don't do a damn thing.

Sorry for the rant, but I have lost respect for local law enforcement, it seems they are more into catching the occasional jay walker than they are thieves.

Now. My car did have some "theft prevention", a club, and a stainless band around the column. both were broken.

As of now, it has a grant "no wheel no steel", (adapted to the stock wheel), numerous kill switches, battery cut off, fuel shut off, pager alarm (with multiple sirens, inside and outside, with a back up battery) a column lock just for shits n' giggles, plus gps tracking. and a few other tricks.

I'm also a supporter of what my dad refers to as the "judicial system" a Taurus Judge .45/410 Revolver.. pick your poison, .45 hollow points, buck shot, deer slugs, or a face full of bird shot..

As a side note.. There were officers who were very helpful, but it seemed where most of the problems I had were with the "higher ups".. the guys with the fancy names like "detective" or "investigator", or "captain"..

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Exactly...if it doesnt produce "Revenue"..they are "Too Busy"
    so in my minds eye , they are perpetuating the theft of property..And are negligent, and derelect of duty.

so if all out war comes of their negligent behavior, they should be held liable

Wouldnt that be nice for a change?

Car theifs deserve capitol punishment, delivered by the owner of said vehicle, it will definetly curb auto theft, dead theifs cant steal

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  12. Lucky3

Lucky3

Agree......Pathetic at times.

13. Left Turn, I know how you feel, when I lived in Omaha a friend had a similar case. He ended up finding his car in an alley.....the police interogated him thinking he stole it......jerks....

14. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

Old crazy friend of mine had a teargas canister rigged up under the dash of his truck. It was rigged to the pedals. Simple setup really. Just put the pin in before you wanted to drive off. Anyone who didn't know that would be real sorry in a few seconds.

15. I like this idea... Even if they tow it off, somebody is going to eventually hit the brakes.:D

LEGALLY, all cars should be insured. It's not required that you have theft insurance, but...

Tell me if I'm wrong, but if insurance is supposed to pay the citizen when a car is stolen, then, from a practical standpoint, a simple car theft could be considered a victimless crime in the eyes of law enforcement, right? I mean if your beige 2006 Toyota Borolla is stolen, here's $6K, go find another one...

If you stray from the path that has been layed out for us, you will be punished by the system...

16. OK let me add this to your paranoia.

I'm in a pretty pissy mood today, my back is killiing me, I guess from the weather change. I'm out of ciggerettes and I have to go to the bank, and do some other crap.

I'm sitting here reading and trying to convince myself to get dressed and I hear some noise out front. So I get up and look out the window. I have old folks living sround me that I need to watch out for. Anyway there is this pickup backed up to my Willys with one of those add on tow units in the bed and this long haired greasing looking germ hooking it up.

So I walk out the garage door and politely say "Get your punk ass off my property." He starts in with some cock 'n' bull story about having a tow order. So I told him again. Did I mention that I'm not in a very good mood?

So I reached in and grabbed the bat that hangs by the garage door and walked over to where he is still hooking up and smaked him hard on the shoulder. Now he's going to call the cops so cell in hand I called them for him. Then he gets up and starts towards me, so I smaked him again. I still have the 911 lady on the phone so I told her I smaked him with the bat and they better send someone post haste.

The ambulance just left with him and now I got to go to court to testify. He better hope they don't let him out. Did I mention that I'm not in a very good mood today? Ignorant ass.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Porknbeaner read this Get a good lawyer, dont talk to the cops..you have the right to remain silent..do so.

look up your states Castle Doctrine
    look up your laws on this first

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  18. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I've had other friends who have had similar things happen. It gets old really fast...

My dad's friend Roy is a police officer in MI, we were up there one year to visit when I was probably 10-12.. And he took me out for a day in the cruiser! (the coolest thing ever when you're that age, go chill with a cop, and his dog, and get ice cream, play with sirens, see the station, the call center, the jail, neat deal).. Anyways. We were at the park to get some ice cream and play with the dog and he's showin' me the back of the car. the shot gun, the bullet proof vest, riot shield, etc. and the tear gas.. Pulls the can out, and PSSSHHH... I got gassed... man did he feel bad!... It hurt like hell but it was the coolest thing to tell my friends back home!

kind of a cool idea.

19. I'm an old dirty no good. I keep a lawyer on retainer, and have for a very long time.

The cops told me that they have been trying to catch this guy or someone like him. I guess they have had several cars hooked up lately, mostly older people who believed the dude or they weren't aware they were loosing their car until it was gone, and all they had was a pickup/tow truck.

In the state of MO they passed a law that allows deadly force to protect life and property a few years back. It was put to the test within a week of going active, a guy shot a alleged theif in his driveway while he was rummaging through his unlocked Ford. It never even went to court.

That said don't try this at home kids.

The wrecker just hauled his pickup off. I'm getting dressed and I'm out of here. I'm in too crappy a mood to stay on for awhile. I'll just get mean with someone who probably doesn't deserve it.

Thanks for the advice friend.

20. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

the only problem I would have with the wheel lock is I am very forgetful and I know that I would forget that I have it on there and would start to drive off and damage something.

21. yea that would do a number on your fender lip. I hate body work.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

even if its done with a base ball bat:eek::D

23. I Drag

I Drag

Chin up, P&B, the HAMB loves ya. I think you showed incredible restraint.

Best wishes.

24. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Arrowtrack. It sends a message to your phone if your car has been messed with. And you can long in online and track its location if its ever stolen. A simple little black box that and be hidden anywhere. I think we have a few left I'll have to check.

25. narlee

narlee

I saw your posts when you were developing your GPS but never saw that it was ready to market. I don't know much about marketing but it must be hard to get started. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't picked up on by those on the Corvette site as i know you contribute a lot. Too bad it didn't work out.

26. big creep

big creep

porknbeaner you are my new hero!!!!! i caught some taggers in the alley last night! smacked the shit out of one and held him till the cops came! the other guys got away. cop told me when he saw him, "sucks that he fell down and hurt himself." cops in my hood dont put up with shit!!!! nor should you! good for you and dont worry about that stupid crook! you are always welcome in my home should you ever head out this way!

27. Lucky3

Lucky3

Unfortunately the L J has very limited coverage especially in small metro areas.
    Their web page shows the coverage area.

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

That, and it only works if the police want to be of service...lately that doesnt seem to be a big 10-4

major lack of participation seems to be a problem

29. Lucky3

Lucky3

Some 70 percent of the 18 wheelers and rental cars run this system.
    Very cool and just the device for this kinda stuff. About the size of a pack of cigs.

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

That sounds cool, can it be shot to the curb with a GPS jammer?