Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front bags on a 51 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Apr 4, 2011.

1. usmile4

usmile4

I'm bagging the stock front end on my 51 Chevy. I'm pretty much following the steps this thread.

I will be welding the front bag mount to a piece of pipe and offsetting it like drawn in green in this picture.

[​IMG]

This will orient the bag so the port will be on the frame side of the spring hat. In looking at the spring hat, it looks like I will need to drill a hole on the inside of the hat for the air line. should I make a hole large enough to put a grommet to run the air line through?

any suggestions or hints will be welcomed.

Thanks, Bill.

2. 54chebby

54chebby
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Yes ! Anytime you run wires/air lines/hoses through metal you want a grommet there. Just to be on the safe side. The metal is thick enough that you shouldnt have an issue if you dont use one, but rather be safe than sorry. You dont need that metal chaffing a hole through that line and having a blowout while your blasting down the road.
    I followed that exact same post (from another forum) and bagged my '54. Turned out great. I open the hole up for the airline and used a piece of 1/2" air compressor hose. Worked perfect. God luck on the build !

3. usmile4

usmile4

Does the placement of the round pipe look right to you? In one post I read it stated that the port was facing the wheel, but with the plate I have, it will face the frame. What do you have for the rear on your 54?

4. 54chebby

54chebby
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Yeah the pipe is pretty close. I actually cut out the hats on the front suspension and then had my plates, with the pipe setting on it, and put it in as "mock up" and tacked them together that way so they basically fit themselves into place. I pulled them back out and welded them all solid. It looks as though you're using the stamped bag plates ? Are they the ones that look like they have a rough coating on them? If so ditch those. Use the flate plate steel bag plates. Those stamped ones are too big for the area they'll be mounted in plus they're just stamped sheet steel.
    In the rear i bought an after market c-notch kit (S-10) and did an axle over bag set up. Pretty easy and pulled all the leaves but the main and that was it.
    Heres how mine sat after all said and done...
    [​IMG]
    Heres a shot of the notch. Not great pic but its all i could find.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Heres one of the notch again. I welded it in before i cut the frame out.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

5. usmile4

usmile4

I got the plate from Gambino Kustoms. It fits right up in the hat nicely. If I weld on a 3 1/4" round pipe it should sit well in the spring pocket. I also got Gambino's notch kit which looks like yours. I have not started the rear yet. I'm going to go with a NASCAR trailing arm type suspension.

How did you mount the front shocks?

6. 54chebby

54chebby
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Didnt run front shocks. Front end was heavy enough it didnt need them. Just my opinion though. Yeah my notch kit was only $70 though :D. Yours oughtta' ride pretty nice with the trailing arms.