Register now to get rid of these ads!

will i get flamed by this??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spannerswatson, Apr 3, 2011.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

A few years back NASCAR ran what became the Busch series now nation wide. For a while they ran V6's. A friend has one of those engines (built by a Nascar shop) in his MG midget he uses for autocrossing. I think its got 350 or 375 HP. Needless to say the midget goes like stink. Seeing as how the stock Dodge motor in you car was about 70 HP, V6 even in stock form should move it along quite nicely. Build it run it and enjoy it. Call it a Banger and a half.....

2. firingorder1

firingorder1

Thats hilarious!! Does that mean that a 'glass replica or a new Brookville wouldn't be allowed? Or is it more a case of selective traditionalism? Who determines whats traditional?

3. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

At a show, I won't even slow down when walking past the SBC specials. I don't care how nice they fixed it up, if I was looking for a cookie cutter car I'd go to the Toyota lot and look at new Camrys. A V6 rod? I'll stop and look at it everytime. I have great respect for that.

Some have forgotten the performance of the Buick V6. I had forgotten myself about the NASCAR connection that plym 46 mentioned. I know there are some scary fast 80s Grand Nationals.

4. if you ever visit down this way drop us a line,and ill hook you up with a blast in one somewhere...

the stockcar i had was a standard stock...max of 248.5 cu in...max valve lift .500...42mm restrictor under the carby..

still go like heck..

then theres superstocks which allow for quad cams like toyotas and nissans etc, predator carbys,massive engine work but still 248.5 cu in..these boys absolutely fly on dirt...big dollars too...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

5. i do like to be different...dont stab me yet, but when i was young and stupid i put a 13b rotary into a mazda b1600 pick up,and grafted a rx3 front end onto it...was pretty cool...but they are little boys toys..ive grown up now(kinda:p)

but that was my first project car,and i thought it turned out pretty good..
    now i wanna work with some real steel

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  6. its a good thing im not building it for speed then...hehe
    our roads dont really allow for speed and modified vehicles..
    but they do make for some awesome scenic cruises

slow and steady is what m aiming for,and reliability...
    its for my wife and kids to enjoy aswell...im a bit past the "pin it to win it" phase of my life....nows it more "who dares wins"...

7. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Don't bother me none, nice looking engine. Beats the hell out of another belly button 350 cheby.

8. Us Kiwis are not like that.
    We accept a guy with what he runs.. :D

9. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

I've gotten rid of certain cars, projects, motors, etc. over the years for this very reason. At this point, I don't care what anyone thinks. Build what you have, or build what you want. Don't try to please other people. You guys down under tend to do that anyway!

10. More then likely you''ll just get smoked on the street. Everyone has an opinion, who cares, it's your car. The thing I would consider is in my opinion it would effect the resale of the car if you ever decide to sell.

11. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

are you building for you or for sale? I don't care what others think espcially when I put a ford 2.3 turbo engine in a '53 chevy truck!

12. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Amen, brother.

13. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Your car, your time, your money. The decisions are yours. Believe me, there are plenty of SBC engines in otherwise period correct cars here in the states. Henry would have used the SBC if they were available to him. Put a hood on it if it bothers you and enjoy your car.

14. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Just brush on some flat black primer and spray bomb the wheels red. Instant hero.

15. lanny haff

lanny haff

I recently removed a 327 chevy from my 33 plymouth + installed a 230 dodge flathead 6. I like chevys but everybody runs them. I dare to be different. If I go too a cruise in + park near a chevy powered dune buggy no one even notices it they come + look at my junk. The reason I say dune buggy is only dune buggies + corvettes have fiberglas bodies. Enjoy your car.{I like the hemi 6} no irs or ifs.

16. Chris 50

Chris 50

V6? Ok. V6 in a four door? That could get you stabbed. :D And after watching that video of your racing, I bet the local cyclone fence company gets plenty of business.

17. No flames here, but I would build it with the Hemi 6 to keep it all mopar (and fast). I need to extend appreciation for having the imagination not to put a Chebby motor in that fine automobile though. :D

18. madgrinder

madgrinder

wait... you said you have 2 of those sixers?

Make a coupler to time the cranks 20 degrees apart and tie them together... go all-out Tommy Ivo and make a twin-supercharged V-12 out of it.

Imagine... 12 zoomie pipes from the hood sides :eek:

19. Smokey2

Smokey2

V-6 ?? GO WITH IT!
    +++++++++++++++++++ 'about tha DODGE, Ck out the Wood.....like YOU said, most ALL the body frame work IS WOOD!, with metal skin over it!
    Bought '28 Willis-Knight (Sleeve Valve Engine!), several yrs ago, had it three wks before realized door frames & center posts WHERE WOODEN!, with NO metal skin.________________________ Took it to Hershey Fall Meet, to Sell, No Interest in car then,............So WE BURNED IT on Sat to Keep Warm!!! jest kiddin'. Not funny??
    Good luck on THA' DODGE'em.
    Smokey Smile!

20. You build your car your way and don't give it a second thought. Build it to your pocketbook and your intended use, keeping it to whatever particular theme you've selected for your car. I'm putting a 4.3V6/5-speed combo in the 40 Ford p-up I'm presently building in an early 60s vibe. I'm building the truck for me, to run every day, one where I can pass a gas station now and then, and the wife can jump in and drive it anywhere/time she wants. Do I intend to take it to a hot rod show? Sure. Do I intend to pop the hood and "show off" my power plant? Not really unless someone asks. It's not the intent of the truck to begin with, which was to please me.

Years ago it was all about running what you have, regardless. Some were good ideas and looked great, others were good ideas but look "untraditional" to us now, others just plain did not work - a V6 is not in that category. The comment about a sedan and getting caught in the wind with a boxy sedan, not getting the mileage and perhaps not having the power - while that may be true but isn't that the same as any sedan with a flattie V8? My 40 Ford coupe runs a flattie and 5-speed combo - gets upwards of 22 mpg and I go up and down the east coast. It's a 110HP engine that can do 80 MPH - it's all about your setup, gearing, tires, etc. If I meet a stiff wind or hill, I downshift.

Have fun building yournew ride and keep us posted ...

Attached Files:

21. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Put the V6 in and enjoy it!
    I installed a V8 into a stock looking 31 Essex and went to an Essex show one time. I was warned about a few that would not talk to me and they were right, but most of the died in the wool persons welcomed it (maybe with reservations) but they enjoyed looking it over.
    At hot rod cruse nights many don't even bother looking at it if the hood is not open!

22. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Anybody know what Buick v6 would interchange so the one pictured in the first post could run a distributor? Change of timing case? I would like to run a early commodore version v6 with a 4 barrel intake (Holley) base plate, Imco gas carburetor – dedicated gas not duel fuel.

23. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

My own reaction to that sort of treatment would be to shrug and park it in general parking and then go enjoy looking at the other cars in the show which is the primary reason I go to shows in the first place, really.

I might be a bit less inclined to show up for their next event, though.

My view is that one chooses one's drive train based on how one actually expects to use the vehicle. If one is going to use it mainly for family drives out in scenic rural areas and never really race it then why would one need a big, heavy, thirsty V8 engine? You can have a lot of fun with a 4-banger or a 6. If it offends anybody else that your drive train isn't their cup of tea, then that's their problem, not yours.

To put it another way, what really matters is that you enjoy the car.

:cool:

24. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

One last thought.

The traditional rod crowd seems to have a special reverence for the old Ford Flathead V8s. That fine, and they certainly qualify as traditional, but realistically speaking, you can probably get as much or more horsepower out of a lot of the contemporary V6s than you can out of a typical, streetable, naturally aspirated flathead V8, and the V6 will be easier to get parts for, less expensive to build, maintain and run and it'll be more reliable, too.

On top of that compared to the flathead the V6 will have a better selection of transmissions available without having to use costly adapters, and unlike a lot of the more traditional OHV V8s some guys prefer a lot of the V6s are compact enough to fit into damn near anything without having to modify the firewall, hood, core support, or the hood sides/inner fender wells.

25. indyjps

indyjps

Hey, its New Zealand, you gotta work with what you got. looks like it will make good power. backing it with a manual trans, that will earn back some points.

Love the look of that Dodge, I suggest leaving it as it looks now with drivetrain/ suspension / brake upgrades. I even like the tall stance with the fender and running boards.

Check out threads on CLR (calcium lime rust remover) common cleaning product in US, Im sure theres an equivalent in your area. guys are using it on old paint with rust showing thru to "freshen" up or save whats left of the original paint.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520460&highlight=clr

26. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I've got a 75 3.8 Buick V-6 in my Model A. It fits like it was made for it, and I can run a stock mechanical fan. I get around 20 mpg cruising at 45-55 mph, at 70 it drops to about 17mpg more so due to the aerodynamics. It has plenty of power for around town. Personally I wouldn't build another one with a V-6, unless it was a really built motor. I think you could get the same mileage out of a small cube V-8 and have more torque, especially climbing hills.
    If you are looking to resell I would not recommend a V-6 at all. As for traditional car shows, just leave the hood shut, the independent suspension is what is going to get you flack over.

27. Sure, why not? While not "traditional", its still a cool idea I think

28. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Build it your way, and to hell with what others think. Too many people try to build their cars for approval, only to realize later they are not happy with their car, because it isn't what THEY wanted.

mikeallcars likes this.
  29. bob cutler

bob cutler

Im running a 2.8 v6 and 700r4 out of a 85 s10 in a 29 model a have home made headers no fenders car weighs around 1700 pounds more than enough power would post a pic but i would get shot down on here.

30. firingorder1

firingorder1

Years ago I was at a show and overheard one guy saying to another about a car running a throttle body, computerised, blah blah. The other guy told him to calm down with the words "Your flathead was once cutting edge. Now its just old."