Register now to get rid of these ads!

flatty to y-block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kenbob26, Apr 4, 2011.

1. kenbob26

kenbob26

I want to take the flathead out of my fifty ford car and put in a y-block ford. what mounts are out there for this swap? trans bellhousing ect.

2. yblockhead

yblockhead

there are some out of production front mounts ( the bracket mounts to the timing chain housing and mounts where the flatty water pump mounts are. theres an adapter for the trans too. I swapped one into my '41 tudor. I couldnt fid either of them , so i made the front mount from the original yblock motor mount...

3. yblockhead

yblockhead

if you look in one of my previous posts, theres some picks of the 292 going into the '41, with bracket attached.

4. kenbob26

kenbob26

ok I may be selling a rebuilt 50 flathead its new and never started has offy 2X2 with 94s fenton headers msd distibitor. looking for a rebuilt or low mile y-block ford.

yblockhead I looked thru your posts thanks. could use a bit more info. and there is always the make my own mounts. just like to make it look like it came that way.

5. You might want to look @ the installation in the 55/57 BIRD. It used front-rear mount also (with side supports).

Pickup trucks also used a similar mounting system.

6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

7. You will have trouble selling the car after this is completed. I do not think you will gain a thing except a cut up old Ford.

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If your flathead is anything like my 53 Merc, you may have trouble with the oil pan on Y-blocks. The Lincoln Y's have the sump up front, whereas the flattys are toward the back. Now the "Ford" Y's may be different, at least the pickups are. My 272 oil pan sump in my 57 f-100 is toward the back.

9. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

I'm thinking of doing the same to my 78,000 mile original. 312 hooked to original overdrive. I'll send photos when I cut the fuck out of the old Ford.

10. You're a big fucking hero!!!! Yeah man, let's cut the fuck outta everything! WOOOO

11. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

No, I enjoy a sight catered to rods and customs, not restored stockers. And I don't want the responsibility of being your hero, so please pick someone else.

12. ~~~

13. George/Maine

George/Maine

Here is some of the problems cut fire wall for dist,drop the tie rod,truck timing cover and oil pan,may need electric fan.
    I did this in 1961,Today i would put a 302 fits much better.

14. You can get 300 cubic inches out of a flathead pretty easy. One or two cubic inches is not enough to worry about. Then there are Ardin heads which will help a little bit. I think you are going backwards with a "Y" block or a 302.

Here is what I believe. When people get upset, they are usually mad at themselves and not the person they are shouting at. This of course has to be my theroy because somebody is always upset around me about something except the dog.

Good luck with your project and I look forward to the pictures.

Good luck with your project which ever way you decide to proceed.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

All personal choices aside, you can build one hell of a Y block for considerably less that the cost of a pair of Ardun heads.

16. tiquer

tiquer

Dropped a 302 into a 50 years ago. Use econoline oil pan ,C-4 auto and mustang rad(67) changed the yoke on the drive shaft to the C-4 . The tran mount lined up with very miner fitting and even the mustang headers dropped in with no trouble.Make your own mounts for the motor. Henry planed it to work this easy LOL

17. The Ardun heads are not really needed. I know I can not pay for a set. They are just cool. The first set I saw was at a car show when I was a little kid. I thought it was a Dodge Hemi but the water pumps did not look right. A few years later I learned about Ardun heads.

18. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Better yet why not a MoPar :))

19. George/Maine

George/Maine

Back in the day thats what was happening the flathead was dead.I had a 312 bored .060 over to 322 with and isky cam, then the only problem was the dist could,nt get over 5 k today rpm are no limit.Thats the way .I fooled alot of people with that old shoe box.1961

20. 50 years huh?

Leave the flathead in. The Y block IS NOT worth the extra work, especially if you've got a flathead that's all done. Might be different if you were starting from scratch.

21. Not to be a pedantic english freak, but logically, it reads as " dropped a 302 into a [19]50 [ford], years ago."

The 302 came out in 1968, it is currently 2011.

Also, not that my opinion matters, a Y-block would be neat, so would an olds or a cad, more work for those though.

Y-blocks aren't screamers, but compared to a stock, tired flathead, a 292 is a pretty strong performer.

22. kenbob26

kenbob26

I know this sounds crazy but to me its the right up-grade. my first v8 car was a 57 ranch wagon with a 292 in it . most of my freinds were playong with mustangs firebirds camaros chevelles ect. Me i wanted some thing different and always did things different. maybe i should stick to the flathead. I can always build my super charged 312 that i got off of ebay for 49.00. thats another story for later. yes it has the right numbers!! I am just wanting a good reason to build my y-block.

23. I need to stop drinking. Kenbob, I think either motor is swell, and if you get sick of tripping over that rebuilt flathead, I'd be happy to haul it away for you.

24. kenbob26

kenbob26

Im sure u would love that. No thanks .

I

25. teddyp

teddyp

do they y-block it,s one of fords best looking motors and has a sound all it,s own there a few guy,s on here that know and will help you with it

26. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

I have a '55 Effie Panel. Had a hacked in 400 SBC when I bought it. Wanted to get rid of it ASAP. Got a '53 Merc Flattie. The money and time it would take me to get it up and running would mean my truck wouldn't be on the road before the fall so I got a '62 Y Block ready-to-run and I can't wait to fire it up. My dime's worth of advice; do what you can afford to do and whatever is not going to make you embarassed to raise the hood. I'm going to love the Y Block in my truck and it's going to be badass and I know for sure once I rob a bank and get the Merc Flattie up and running and in hopefully a '34 Ford P/U I'm going to love the shit out of that too...

27. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

Oh yeah, to answer your original post if you need any help with parts try JobLot Automotive in Queens, NY. Everything you can imagine vintage Ford. They will be able to help with stock mounts you can modify for your car. Good luck...

28. kenbob26

kenbob26

I have a 55 f100 with a 292 tri-power and it runs great.