Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 GTO Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superchargedill, May 28, 2010.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

thought i would throw a pic of my '65 lemans i built back in '89. i had about the only straight/dropped axle car around back then. it was funny how many people thought i ruined it at car shows. i used a '56 ford truck axle on it and cut and plated the frame so it was flat on the outside. it was amazing to me how perfect the spring pads on the axle lined the springs up with the frame. i noticed in one pic, you had to move the steering box. on mine, i just used the stock box and ran a cross steer to the right side. i also made my own steering arm on the axle. i also used model A front springs on it. i have never before or since rode in a straight axle car that ran so smooth. it just ran the 326 motor as i drove it everyday to work and such.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. Splinter

Splinter

Jeezy creasy, eggs and beezy! That's a whole LOT of carbification, Jethro!

3. panheads_1

panheads_1

so have you found a home for your left over parts yet ?heater parts, hood,wiring ,dash /firewall about all that bolts to it
    please let me know if you want to part with any thing, thank you

4. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Do it!
    Wished I did it on my 39' Ford.... instead of running the Mustang II set-up.

5. lorodz

lorodz

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by lorodz [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the original owner of this car lives here on long island ..i met him at a car show and he was asking if anyone knew where this car was anyone know if its still aorund?...he said he wanted to get it back sold it so he could get married .he and the wife are still together and he wants it back ..

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I wonder if he has more info and pics to share.

i dont have any other info on this car i gave the guy i met the h.a.m.b site info so he could hopefully find his car ihavent seen him yet car season hasnt started here yet next month should be the first car cruise night if i see him ill tell him to make another post on here about the car ...
    <!-- / message -->

6. superchargedill

superchargedill

I had a set of Demons that I was going to use only because I already had them. That was until I set them on top the other day and saw how out of place they looked. I immediately knew it just wasn't going to happen with these carbs. I also had a newer Edelbrock that I set up just to see how it looked. It was better but I still wasn't happy with the shiny look so I started digging around a bit, called Summit Racing and Edelbrock. I found Edelbrock has their marine carburetors available in the gold dichromate finish. Same carb as the performer zinc plated deal, but the main difference is there are no vacuum ports. Doesn't matter to me on this engine. So I put both of my carbs up for sale to help pay for the new dichromate finish carbs which I think fit the bill. Here's a rough idea of what it's looking like.

Attached Files:

7. superchargedill

superchargedill

I also painted the electric water pump so it's not so in your face.

Attached Files:

8. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Bad ass Build man!

9. Lookin Good! "Arnie The Farmer" is a friend of mine,I'm sure he would approve!!!R~R

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

AHRA allowed solid axles in MP

11. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Finally made it over to your build thread. Great work!!!!I'm really digg'n it!
    Brandon

12. superchargedill

superchargedill

I primed and painted the axle and springs and got everything put back together. My buddy Axle turned me on to this Stainless Steel paint by Seymour that has 100% 316 Stainless Steel pigment. A little different than the semi gloss black I was gonna use. Thanks Axle. It stands out a little more than if she were just black. I also painted the calipers and steering box cast iron gray. Used Plasti Cote for that. I tried Deplicolor but it has a glossy bronzish hue and looks kinda funky.

Attached Files:

gasser-a-go-go likes this.
  13. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Saaaavage maan Saaavage!

14. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

64' .... My favorite year GTO!
    I still regret not buying a mint 64' at Hot August Nights in the mid 80's. This was a triple black convertible in mint condition...only $10,000!
    I was on my Harley ridin' out to California on vacation for a month, and I was thinking of havin' ithe GTO delivered back home to R.I.
    However.... I didn't want them to drop it in my driveway (My 454 71' El Camino was in my garage all apart), and take off... who knows what it would look like (In my neighborhood) by the time I returned.

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Dil, this car is going to look amazing !

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  16. superchargedill

superchargedill

Since this is going to be a GTO clone I had to remove the Tempest emblem on the dash. I then found out that the holes for the GTO emblem are different so I welded up the 3 existing holes.

Attached Files:

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I shot these last weekend in Bakersfield...'64 was a good year for Pontiac

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. superchargedill

superchargedill

That's a nice 64. My buddy Nick was there with his 62 Tempest running in the same class.

19. superchargedill

superchargedill

I got the new Master Cylinder mounted last night. It's one that Speedway Motors sells and is real close to a GM style but the mount holes are about 1/4 closer so I did the right thing and fired up the 1/4" air grinder and reamed the holes out.

Attached Files:

20. superchargedill

superchargedill

Here's pretty much what I've been working on all day. I sanded the dash last night then primed and re sanded thid morning. I used the factory original 60% semi gloss black that Ames Performance sells to get the right look. I'm going to roll it outside for the first time since I brought it home last May tomorrow and snap a few shots. I'll post them tomorrow afternoon.

Attached Files:

21. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

Looks good. But you realize that the upper part of the dash is supposed to be a 0% gloss, with a 'suede' texture. I've got the PPG formula here for it somewhere as I painted the top part of my dash a couple of years ago.

22. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

Looks good. But you realize that the upper part of the dash is supposed to be a 0% gloss, with a 'suede' texture. I've got the PPG formula here for it somewhere as I painted the top part of my dash a couple of years ago.

23. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Who cares ! This is a Hot Rod not a 100 point concourse restoration

24. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

im lovin the build. whats better than a goat. a supercharged straight axle GOAT!

25. superchargedill

superchargedill

Axle, It's okay, I was wrong when I stated that it was the correct color and sheen. I was going by my 66 dash. I think I'll leave it this way and see how I like it. Maybe I'll shoot some flat later.

Twotoe, where is the line from semi to flat ?

BrickTopp, That is one bad a$$ Falcon. Can you post some pictures of your front brake lines from where they come off of the calipers and how you ran them to the frame. Finishing the brakes is next on the list

26. superchargedill

superchargedill

Well it's been a very productive weekend and made some ground on the pile. I got the steering column in. Moved it forward about 3" for more room and mounted and connected it to the steering gear box. Welded the steering U joints in place along with a heim joint on the lower end of the steering shaft to the chassis to secure the lower end in place. And the dash is now in and gauges are pre wired. Have to order a steering wheel hub but you get the idea. Retro 60's wheel.

Attached Files:

27. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

The break line was right above the grab bar on a 65. I can't remember if you have a grab bar on a 64 or not. Let me see if I have a pic that shows it. Here is one that will give you an idea of where the break is. Not a very good picture of the break, but it is all I have right now. If you decide to redo it, I'll get you a better pic.

BTW, the reason that the top has no gloss was a Federal mandate. It seems anything other than no gloss would create a glare when either the sun or lighting at night shined onto it. The Feds claimed it was a safety thing. Just FYI.

Attached Files:

• dash.jpg
      dash.jpg
      File size:
      430.3 KB
      Views:
  28. superchargedill

superchargedill

Joe,
    I'll take you up on the other photos. If you can get one from each side of the main gauge part of the dash so I can see how they tied that in. If it's a line or did they just spray the whole outside flat ?

29. superchargedill

superchargedill

The carbs came in today so I de-badged them and removed the electric choke mechanisms. I think Axle was right. The Carter style carb was the way to go and glad I did some digging into what was available. These Gold Dichromate finish marine carbs fit the 60's look I'm trying my best to stick with.

Attached Files:

30. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats a nice looking setup!