Register now to get rid of these ads!

S-W electric Tach help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by holyroller, Apr 2, 2011.

1. holyroller

holyroller
    from KTOL

H.A.M.B., I need your help.
    I put a 6 gauge set of the SW electric wings series gauges in my model A 2 years ago and the tach never worked right. I did my best to hook it up but the box was missing the instructions for the tach. The power and ground are both good. The box had every other gauge sheet but the tach...go figure. So my question is what wire goes to what terminal on the back and what DIP switches should be turned on? (It's a 8 cyl.) It's hard to do a 5 grand dump when you don't know where 5 grand is...HAHA!

Thanks all!!!
    -Josiah

2. holyroller

holyroller
    from KTOL

Or have a link to the info...

3. holyroller

holyroller
    from KTOL

Is aynone running a SW Wings Tach with a V8? If so, could you please look at the 8 DIP switches on the back under the rubber cover and let me know the position of each switch, off or on? That would help me out a lot. Thanks HAMBers!!!!

-Josiah

4. 31aford

31aford
    from az

Try switches 6,7,8 in the on position the rest in the off position. That is what mine are set at for 8 cylinders.

5. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Josiah, I have had problems with my SW electric tach. it seems to have a mind of its own. spinning full circle every so often. I have it hooked up correctly, changed the dist as well as the coil. All to no avail. I am gonna try 31aford's suggestion and see if it works any better. I posted a similar post about this several years ago and did not get much feedback.

6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Mine came preset for eight cylinders. The SIG goes to the negative side of your coil.

7. holyroller

holyroller
    from KTOL

Dirty Dug, would you mind looking at your DIP switches and let me know where they are at?

8. holyroller

holyroller
    from KTOL

Thanks for the reply greazhonkey,
    I did see your old post when I did a search on this before i posted this question. I should have figured this out 2 years ago but I was so happy to drive the car that didn't care about a tach
    -Josiah

9. holyroller

holyroller
    from KTOL

Bro...thanks a lot!!!! I'll try that ASAP. I hope this works for me too. If it does, I owe ya a shot and a beer! Thanks!!

-Josiah

10. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Hahahaha me too, just happy to be driving

11. holyroller

holyroller
    from KTOL

Bro...that did it!!!!!! Thanks a million!

-Josiah

12. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I looked for my wiring book yesterday and this morning, couldn't find it anywhere. Then this morning, right before the recycling was picked up that's where I found it just before the truck showed up. If you hadn't asked this question I wouldn't have found it in time. Thanks for asking. I'd have been screwed. My How To Build A Tradition Ford Hot Rod book too would have been gone. Thanks again...

13. holyroller

holyroller
    from KTOL

HAHAHA, thats great! It looks like everybody wins today!

-Josiah

14. mddndps

mddndps
    from Texas

Son of a gun--- I have been messing with mine on and off for a while,I adjusted it wrong when I got it, I AM SURE I DID NOT READ ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS and then got in a thrash and cant find my instructions.I gave up google trying to find the right info.I thought, I am not the only guy with this problem and thought I would just search the hamb,and here it is.Just adjusted it and it works perfect.Thanks guys Mark D.