Register now to get rid of these ads!

gasser axle question ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mopar210, Apr 2, 2011.

1. mopar210

mopar210

ok - i need some advise on the new build . im setting up the straight on the 770 rambler . i have run plum bobs for centerline of front wheels , got one spring mocked in place , my problem is , well the biggest problem is , this is my 1st straight axle install . the 2nd is , im not sure how far ahead of center , or exactly center , of oem center line to go ? i feel i should have more room to the rear for headers etc.. probably sounds like a dumb question , is it personal tatse ? is it stability ? clearance ? engine cradle mounting is done , the engine mounts are about 3" ahead of the centerline (big block mopar) i just want to get this correct , any help would be great . todd

Attached Files:

2. 54chebby

54chebby
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Guess it depends if you want it to look like an altered wheelbase or not. If it's not centered from stock location your wheels won't be centered in the wheel wells when you hang the fenders back on. You can put that front axle where ever you want really. Just my $.02.

3. See if you can hang a front fender back on then roll your tire/rim under it till you like what you see. Most of this stuff is visual and no set measurement will be accurate for all cars.

4. farna

farna

Just remember that as the springs compress the axle will move a little to the back. I think I'd go 1-1.5" ahead of centerline just to make sure the axle is centered when it gets that big block on top of it. Might be a little forward then, but that's okay. You might want to think about using sliders instead of shackles. Reduces ride height a little, but you should have plenty of that. Don't forget rubber bumpers of some sort above the axle so it doesn't bottom out solid.

5. mopar210

mopar210

thanks for the help guys ! i got the axle today and its mocked up , looks like the fit is fine , thanks again . todd

Attached Files:

6. mt94ss

mt94ss

Looks good. Check the hangers to make sure that while under load, they are slightly forward. You want some movement there.

It looks like a cool build. What will power it? What are you going to do for headers? Can't really do fenderwells with the unibody...

Later,

Mike

7. mopar210

mopar210

HI MIKE im using a 400 big block chrysler , stroked , possibly 451 or 500 ci. im confused on the header statement ? the middle and top inner fender at the rear dont have a shit load of structural stability , even so , i would think after the front and rear frame members are tied in with tubing (2x2) it should stiffin it up considerably . my brothers 69 stroked big block dart has very little "twist" and the under body structure of these 2 cars are almost identical . of course i could be wrong , i learn somthing new every day , and after 35 years in the "business" this still holds true .

8. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

I would add gussets to the front end where ever you can. That's is a cool build. 2x2 frame ties will stiffen the hell out of the body. Are you installing a roll bar/cage? If so you can tie the front rails to the roll bar.

9. "Resurrected Rambler" great idea and build..

10. gasser john

gasser john

hello, whose axle and springs are you using, i put a speedway under my willys chassis, the body isnt here yet but i installed a 460 ford and a C-6. the springs didnt give up but a 1/2 inch. thought they would settle more than that with all that weight, after thw body is mounted i will see if i like the stance, you can do the same and if you want it lower or softer, you can remove a leaf, i used to remove the very bottom one on an old nova i had 30 yrs ago and the car sat a little lower and road better, good luck, looks great. keep the pics coming

11. farna

farna

You can also use sliders instead of shackles if it sits a bit too high. I think the sliders are better for handling anyway.

12. mopar210

mopar210

thanks john , im using speedway also . it does seem to sit fairly high in the front end , but the big block should set it down some . i may take the leaf removal advise , but i sure do like the tall stance . i will know better after we put the 8 3/4 rear in and get all the tires and wheels in place . later todd