Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemoose

bluemoose

2. Rod Zombie

Rod Zombie
    from Florida

Old ads from days of yore.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    My grandfather before he lost his right arm in an accident while working on one of these. His tool bag got snagged by a train passing on a neighboring track pulling him under it. This picture is inscribed 46 st. engine house June 1920 Phila Pa.

4. Steam Engine.......4/4/2,if I'm counting right.

5. map

map

Liberty & Smithfield Triangle records was in that white store front at the point, KQV was at the next corner on Smithfield.

6. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Great photo Tommy. I have tons of similar photos, but none of the people are identified. Your granddad probably worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad. That looks like a Pennsylvania Railroad class E6s 4-4-2 steam locomotive. I think steam engines were the first hot rods, they were always tinkering with them to get more speed. This is from Wiki

" In 1905, on the maiden westbound run of the Pennsylvania Special (renamed the Broadway Limited in 1912), the train was clocked by the conductor’s stopwatch over a 3-mile run west of Crestview, Ohio, at a record speed of 127.1 MPH."

7. Antique steam is fascinating to me ever since I toured a steam shop in Irondale, AL. several years ago where THIS was being overhauled.

8. starwalker

starwalker

Very true...My wife was sideswiped on our paved country road last month in our Malibu. She wasn't hurt, but the Malibu was totaled, doing what it was supposed to do, direct the force of the wreck away from her. Anyway, I was amazed at how many people drove by, not stopping. Heck, we knew most of them.

9. starwalker

starwalker

Not as bad as you, but we live in a 20's log cabin, heat with propane, pipe our water from a spring about 50 yards away, when the electricity goes out, as it does sometimes does, no water, but we have propane space heaters that do keep the house warm. But, the pump can freeze.:mad:

10. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Sad but true, I can't do that myself, I will stop weather I know you or not, it's the right thing to do.

A few years ago I was driving home down the highway, lots of traffic, when I saw a car in the edge of the ditch ahead, I slowed down and saw a guy was leaning out of it, he looked dead... I came to a very fast stop on the shoulder and went back, he was conscious but barely, had been there for a few hours in the hot sun, his car died, he had no water, his cell was dead, and he was unsure where he even was... luckily I always have water, so I gave him some and boosted his car (Alternator fried) and once he was feeling a bit better he was on his way towards town and I followed him. The thing that bothered me, and still does its that nobody bothered to even check on him, even people who know me and saw me never stopped when I was there...:mad:

It's corny, but when ever I help someone on the side of the road and they want to repay me, I ask them to help out the next person they see in need, just stopping and offering means a lot.

My only saving grace this winter has been that we have or house on natural gas, so it's always there, and the stove is gas as well, so it has heated the house a bit this winter.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah he had a card that he could use to go anywhere that the Penn RR went no charge. Which was a large area in the 40s-50s. He lived on the Main Line outside of Philly.(Berwyn) I'd stay there on summer vacations in the 50s. By that time most of the trains were GG1s. I fell in love with the GG1. He could tie his shoes quicker with one hand than I could with 2. I never got the chance to talk to him about steam engines. I was too young. My uncle had some of his 3 foot pipe wrenches that he used. It takes a man to swing a pair of 3 footers. His name was Thomas Wood originally from NJ. A very religious man. He never missed a Sunday until he started to fade. He was related to the founders of Woodstown Nj. I come from good stock!:D His daughter, my mother, just turned 96 a few weeks ago. Still going strong.(for 96)

I just found this picture among some other family shots.

12. c57heaven

c57heaven

If you don't have electric how does your gas furnace work the blower motor?

I have a generator on hand with the Generac box into my panel just for that purpose. My worry was that if there is one of those week long outages due to an ice storm my pipes could freeze.

always thinking...

13. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

14. JohnMc

JohnMc
    from Illinois

Can anyone open the pictures posted ny T-head? I cannot - not one.

15. Brimen

Brimen
    from Norway

16. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

It doesn't, and the furnace wont even kick on with out power, that's why I had to use my oven, it's sorta central in my house so it helped a lot.

I had a generator here that my buddy was storing, he said to use t if I needed, damn thing would not start because it was so cold.

It looks like it might be trying to be spring finally, some of the snow is melting, my yard is flooding... I need to move. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  17. moefuzz

moefuzz

All pics early Middlebury Vermont....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  18. moefuzz

moefuzz

19. moefuzz

moefuzz

20. moefuzz

moefuzz

21. moefuzz

moefuzz

22. moefuzz

moefuzz

23. moefuzz

moefuzz

24. moefuzz

moefuzz

25. moefuzz

moefuzz

26. moefuzz

moefuzz

27. VStanford

VStanford

Who is this. I likely know you? That street in front of Knotts Berry Farm is still called Grand Ave. Beach Blvd. (or Highway 39) follows the curve in the road around Knotts. I went to a rival school, Lindbergh School, for nine years on the other side of town from 1948 to 1957. Then to Buena Park High School for four years. Then Fullerton Jr. College for 2 years. Had to leave town to finish college. I too used to go to that Drug Store. Had great hamburgers with cherry cokes and sometime a chocolate malt. Was one of those JD Rodders named Ken?

28. moefuzz

moefuzz

29. moefuzz

moefuzz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.