Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Flatz paint ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sumo, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

I mixed dark pearl green with silver metallic and made a light green(HRF)...I prefer a single stage semi-gloss..its not as flat and gives a little more protection

2. pickupman55

pickupman55

Im looking for the same thing, let me know if you find something and how it comes out.

3. HotRDVern

HotRDVern
    from Cobb, CA

Just so you know, real Hotrods don't "SHINE".
    Shiny cars are called "KUSTOMS". Take It from an old timer...........

4. Bull

Bull

Bringing an old thread back to the top. Anyone painted a car with the Hot Rod Flatz "Deep Maroon?"

5. icekoffee

icekoffee
    from DeSoto, MO

one of my VW thing is painted in steel blue from hot rod flatz. I think it turned out nicely and plan on painting another one of my thing in flatz
    [​IMG]

droppedstepside likes this.
  6. skisouth

skisouth

Here's a Hot Rod Flatz Daytona Blue with Gunsmoke Metallic

Attached Files:

7. WoW What A Great Color Combination
    And ON A Frist Post
    Great Looking Car

8. Just today I was doing some research on HRF and intend to paint my Econo the HRF "Vanilla Shake" here in the next couple months.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  9. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

I've sprayed it on a couple cars. I really like it and it sprays great. Only prob I found was you have to keep it mixed. The pearls and metalics will settle and will streak some, But once you have sprayed it a couple times you will get it. The paint has held up great for me and I will continue to use it.
    Gadget

10. Mr.Gasser

Mr.Gasser

Here's my 41 with the dark blue pearl. It turned out great and looks good in the sun.[​IMG]

11. $phil$

$phil$

When we painted my car we base coated it then sprayed flat clear over it and it holds up real well...but it costs just as much as any paint job because of the clear it's all the money..but it holds up real well and I like the flat look..

Attached Files:

12. I am going to order paint. Will a HRF "gallon kit" be enough to cover the exterior of this van? Not looking to paint any jambs or inner doors and NOT looking to run out of material during the job.

Attached Files:

13. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

I think it will. We painted my 55 pickup 3 coats including inside the bed and had some left over. HRF calls for 2 coats we just had so much figured 1 more coat would be good-we had plenty of coverage at 2.

14. BigChief

BigChief

Thats still a lot of realestate to paint. Short van or not, that roof is plenty of area to shoot. If you're questionable on the coverage you may what to get an extra quart. Shooting a sealer that is close to the final color can also help if you have to keep it to only two coats. If you're going to spend the time to paint it why not spend a little extra time to shoot the jambs?

15. jazz1

jazz1

It's not the painter, I used flatz and found the end product has the durability of chalk and keeping it clean is near impossible. Marks easily, streaks and in my opinion an inferior product.. flatz should be recommending the product be coated with a satin clear or suffer the consequences

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  16. shoebox50

shoebox50

My 50 with flattened clear.

Attached Files:

17. jazz1

jazz1

You gotta lay it down real wet,,even the first coat. I used flatz passion pearl,,,never again.Even had a pro come over and try to lay it down,,yep I had to knock down his coat and do it again myself

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  18. wildie

wildie
    from monterrey

My paint guy said corn starch. Well actually he said "fecula de maiz" but its the same thing. apparently thats how they used to do it. I bought an enamel paint, I'm sure it has to be mixed well and all that stuff. The paint guy said if we wanted the paint any flatter we could add the corn starch. The paint was flat enough. has any one used this method?

19. D-man313

D-man313

Sorry to bring up an old thread but had a couple questions abot HRF.

What are the different kits? Meaning fast, medium, and slow? Is it how fast the reducer dries or how fast the paint dries? Does the different kits give a different sheen when the paint fully cures?

Thanks,
    David

20. frmula505

frmula505

I painted my 60 Chevy truck the Copper pearl metallic. Well I liked the look while it was wet so much I decided to clear coat it. Here's what the color looks like with some clear.
    [​IMG]
    First picture is on cloudy day these are in the shop, better lighting to show how the color brightens up with clear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

^^^ Agreed. I like the way it looks with clear over it. Did a freinds car just like the truck above.

22. cali707sf

cali707sf

I'm trying to find a picture of an entire car painted with "HotRod Flatz" "Midnight Blue Pearl" does anyone have a pic of one???

23. brad2v

brad2v

Found this on google images (it was a bugger trying to find an ON topic car in this color)
    [​IMG]

24. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

That looks REALLY good, any close up pics of the color? How does the pearl show through?

25. tucknroll

tucknroll
    from iowa

have used hotrod flatz on several cars and have great results. very durable-cleans very easy with mist and shine. has nice sheen not at all chalky. sure beat primer. for the cost i am very pleased but it is kinda trickey to paint. my coupe has daytona blue metallic pearl

Attached Files:

26. Just Gadget

Just Gadget

I have painted a couple with the HotRod Flatz, it is tricky to spray. It has so much pearl and metalics in it, that it will settle between coats. Stir stir stir ... has been my best method. My Tot Rod was my test project. it is also, Daytona Blue. Loaded with Pearls. Looks killer and has held up great. I will use it again! Nice package for the satin look!
    [​IMG]
    The metalics will pool if you let it set ... just my 2 cents worth.

27. vein

vein

Jazz1 you are correct. Its not the painter, it is the paint. It is hard to keep clean and it is chalky. If i were to use again, I would have bought 2 gallons, and use a flattened clear. Shoebox50 how many gallons did you use?

28. skyshark1325

skyshark1325
    from SE AZ

This has been real informative. I am getting ready to paint my bike with the black midnight pearl and the truck with the copper pearl. I am now thinking about going with a flattened clear.

29. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

i love the flat look! just wash and go no wiping or polishing. i used cil marine enamel with flattener added on my 57 merc. its 3 years old now and is holding up great.my son and i are now buildind a 62 c10 with the same paint

30. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

pics of 57 merc and 62 c10

Attached Files: