Register now to get rid of these ads!

Color Code For American 200s Daisy wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by strnge, Mar 29, 2011.

1. strnge

strnge

I have a American Racing 200s Daisy rim I would like to repaint. Anyone know the original GOLD paint code?

I would like to put the finishing touches on a rusted hunk of junk I restored.

Mike

2. strnge

strnge

3. plumpcars

plumpcars

I used numerous sets of these back in the seventies. They came in a raw/rough finish in the centres which turned to a goldish colour once they were out in the weather.

4. strnge

strnge

I have seen several originals, all the centers are in the grey/silver color or gold color. The lip of the rim is polished. As well as some which were modified by polishing the entire rim. Mine was originally the rough gold center, I stripped the center and re-polished the edges. It was a rusted piece of junk I paid $20 for. It absolutely was painted in the center.

5. onedge

onedge

Those where good looking rims. Dont know about the code. I'm looking for Argent silver code cant seem to come across it. Good Luck.

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I bought a set for my new '74 Dodge van...I don't recall ever seeing any come from the factory with paint. Over the years I did see guys who had painted the spokes gold or black....but from the factory?
    Not here in the Los Angeles area that I knew of...

7. Weasel

Weasel

I did a set of Torq Thrusts with Duplicolor gold wheel paint - came out period perfect IMO....

[​IMG]

8. strnge

strnge

9. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I bought 2 sets in 81 or so. Neither had paint and were raw aluminum spokes.

10. milo1303s

milo1303s

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

+1 , have your eyes checked :D they are absolutely not gold colored. They are the rough cast raw aluminum silver color while the rest of the wheels are a more polished appearing machined smooth surface.

12. strnge

strnge

13. strnge

strnge

Anyway here is the rim as it sits now:

[​IMG]

14. aircap

aircap

That looks terrific IMO.

15. Mojo

Mojo

I believe that is a clear coating that has aged (sun burned). I have seen dragsters/funny cars with the 16" ones, those were two-piece magnesium I believe. They were usually coated with something I believe was called "dow 20". It quickly aged to a pale gold, and used to protect magnesium from corrosion. It looks like "dow 1" is the current replacement:

http://www.techplate.com/magnesium_processes.htm

I'd consider calling American Racing, and see if anyone there knows. I have a set of 15x7 and 15x8.5, and I love them. Beautiful wheels. Curious to know if it was a factory coating myself.

16. plumpcars

plumpcars

As I said earlier I owned plenty of these between 1976 and 1980 and they were definitely not painted. Out of the box they just had the rough silvery finish and once they aged they took on the gold hue. The gold did not resemble paint but did look as if it was transparent if that makes sense so it could be the factory coating spoken of above? I did always wonder what made them do it.
    Looking at the Yenko ones above I would say that the age made them change colour and when we put them on cars and drove them it speeded up the process.

17. Love the photo Weasel! Wheels look good on the Gasser and the patina is just the sh!t !!

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I've never seen Daisy's with the gold. Torq-thrusts, yes.
    My Daisys on the Burb have a natural unpolished center, which makes them appear darker. Edges are polished.

Attached Files:

• whel.jpg
      whel.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
  19. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I have a set for my '32 Chevy. I've had these since they were new and I know they were not painted from the factory.

Attached Files:

20. Amateur Sketch

Amateur Sketch

21. Drewski

Drewski

This pair of 200S wheels were bought new in late 69 early 70 and was run for a very short time and stored in an attic until very recently. It does have a slight gold appearance but is definitely not painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drew

23. strnge

strnge

So we are going to have to find out if American Racing did put some kind of "clear coat" on the wheels to protect them. Anyone have a connection in American Racing before we just start calling and hoping.

I might see if they have a facebook page I could post on. I will look in to that.

Mike

24. strnge

strnge

Do your wheels have "patented pending" on the back side?

My wheel does.

Mike

25. strnge

strnge

I found the American Racing Wheels facebook page. I posted the question there and it looks like there are reps from the company posting on the page.

Mike

26. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Just picked up a set today, trying to decide whether to have the centres polished or not. Googled 'American daisy's' and found this thread. Also found this image, which probably isn't the color you're thinking of, but looks good anyway...

Attached Files:

27. aircap

aircap

A set of those would sure look good on my Studebaker....

28. 55xgasr

55xgasr

Restoring the American 200S wheels can be a challenging because they are only original once. Most of us are not fortunate enough to have a set of mint NOS wheels - in that case I can share some tips I've used to replicate that look. I start by cleaning the wheels and masking off so only the center cast area is shown. Do a light beadblast using a media with light abrasive sand. Clean and remask. The secret is to find a paint that will replicate the look of the fresh cast look. I came across this great product used in Mopar restorations. It is called textured argent, and comes in two shades dark, and light. Check out Totally Auto, restoration paints:
    http://www.totallyautoinc.com/

I use the light version and dust the wheel centers spraying from about 12' above the wheel and letting the paint fall on the wheel. Come back from about the same height with the duplicolor gold and just mist it and let it fall - just a little to get that tint of the original.

I've done both 200S and torq-thrusts with just the textured argent and they come out awesome.

Attached Files:

29. nemlio65

nemlio65
    from northeast

I've used the textured paint from Eastwood it looks like freshly blasted aluminum.Then you could tint that with a weak gold like Ford harvest gold.I own early 70's 200s all original finish wih American Racing Equipment Patent Pend on the back side.To me they look like aged nickel. I've also owned the 80's version with "peace sign" and they have a gold tone anodized finish(different).The 70's one are way cooler(pictured)..Great thread I love these wheels.....

Attached Files:

30. nemlio65

nemlio65
    from northeast

One last thing I did use Model Masters Chrysler "platinum" Very cool funky gold tone Just misted over silver that's the look....