Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheap tools

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CyaNide, Apr 1, 2011.

1. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

My main compressor just gave up. It won't build up more than 40 psi, which won't do much with air tools. I had planned to buy a big compressor in the near future, but wasn't ready no to do it. I have some metal to cut that needs my cut off tool. I dig out my Harbor Freight small compressor, to see if it will run the cut off tool. I have used it in the house with a nail gun 3 different times with no problem. Tonight, I plug it in and works great until it starts smoking like a freight train. I turn it off and won't come back on now. What a p.o.s.. Never again will I buy crappy tools. I don't get much time to work on anything, and the time I do, this is what happens. The bigger compressor I have had for 20 years and until now has never given me any problems.

CN

2. rustyangels

rustyangels

pull the disc valves off the compressor, maybe there just coked up

3. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Check the tank pressure pop off valve. I think that's what it's called? It might just need to be replaced.

4. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

The pop off valve is fine. It is sealing. The Craftsman compressor will run for as long as I let it, but will not get more than 40 psi. The tank has some rust on the bottom, which is probably leaking at that point. The small compressor from HB is toast.

CN

5. nummie

nummie

tip that thing over and braze her up!!

6. Deuces

Deuces

I guy I once worked with had one blow up in his garage... Replace that tank!!!!

7. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I wouldn't. If it's got pin holes in it and is leaking throw it away. If you weld it up it will just leak elsewhere or worse yet explode on you.

I saw a tank on a small compressor fail one time. It turned the tank inside out, wrapped the tank around the motor and compressor. It flew staight up in the air, stopped when it hit the ceiling 10 ft. Would have gone higher.

It would have seiously injured somebody if it hadn't gone straight up.

I know a guy that had his leg nearly blown off by a small compressor that the tank failed on.

I'm sure there will be plenty of guys tell you it's fine to weld it up, do what you want but I sure wouldn't take the chance.

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got deployed to a workshop accident in the Holsworthy Army Engineers workshop. Took the Ambulance in and went to find my patient.
    A compressor tank had exploded and I couldn't find the patient. Someone had to show me where the victim was. I didn't think to look up on the 30ft high roof! What was left of him was partially through the roof. Dead.

I would replace the tank.

Doc.

9. reminds me of a photo they showed us at trade school. a man was mounting a tyre on a split rim and it exploded, there was an imprint of him on the concrete factory ceiling. a truck tyre holds 80-90psi, i imagine the result would be alot worse if it were a compressor tank at 120-130psi:(

10. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Have a friend who went to his garage 60 x 80 in the morning & started his furnace & air compressor & went back in the house for breakfast. 15 minutes later, BANG, his old compressor blew. Told me he still hasn't found all the parts.

11. AssGasket

AssGasket

Woah... Scary stuff..... Bleeding the moisture and pressure in the compressor tank should NEVER be on the "oh shit, I forgot" list.....