Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rochester 2g VS. Holley 94 for a 2x2 setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Mar 31, 2011.

1. I am seriously considering running a 2x2 setup on my stock (mild cam) 283.My carb choices are either 2g's or Holley 94's. I know I could also go Stromberg 97. The 2g's would give me roughly 600cfm and would probably be best setup with a progressive linkage. The 94's would give me less cfm and would probably be better set up on a straight linkage.
    I have no experience with either of these carbs and was wondering if one would be a better choice over the other taking into consideration setup. reliability and hassle free use.
    I did some searches on here and am kinda leaning towards the 2g's but I am not sure. Thanks for any help you can offer. Todd

2. I would run the Rochesters just because alcohol compatible parts are more readily available. I personaly think they are a better carb but you can't base your choice on what I think.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I cant compare the 2gs to the 94's or 97's..ive never owned a 94 or 97..so its just my 2 cents

but i like my 2gs set ups..I have 2 tri-power set ups progressive linked, each on seperate engines of different CI..I like the carb, easy to rebuild, easy to tune.
    seems they can take a bit more fuel pressure too..and parts should be a bit easier to come by

4. Well thats 2 for 2gs and 0 for stromberg/holleys. And this isn't even a poll.

I used to run Stromberg 97s way back when and the first time I ran a set of 2gs I was sold. I can't think of a reason I like them better but I do.

5. carbking

carbking

Alcohol resistant rebuilding parts are available for all of the aforementioned carbs, with the exception of an alcohol friendly economiser valve for the Holley.

The Rochesters are technically superior to either the Stromberg EE-1 or Holley AA-1. They are also more reliable.

However, the BEST CARB FOR YOU is the one with which YOU are most famaliar.

Jon.

6. Jon
    I just noticed that you are in Eldon, unless I noticed it before and don't remember, anyway I went my senior year to Eldon High.

7. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I prefer rochesters mainly because I have seen alot of them work fine after sitting for long periods of time, it seems like the holleys need rebuilt more frequently. But this is just my opinion, I have never ran holleys on any of my cars.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. carbking

carbking

Moved to Eldon in 1975, grew up in rural north-central Missouri.:)

Eldon is now the world headquarters for The Carburetor Shop.;)

Have way too much "junk";) to move again.

Jon.

9. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Use the Rochester's and once they are setup you will be problem free.

10. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Had 3 1957 94's on a 400CI FE BBF for 10 years, all on all off, trouble free.

11. i have a single rochester on my 283 and i love it, though i'm also thinking of stepping up to 2 of them. what manifolds are available to run twin 2's on a SBC?

12. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Nothing like saying HOT ROD when running Stromberg 97s..
    Duane.

13. Master of None

Master of None

I'm running 2 97's on a 2x2 intake on my 289 Ford. I like them, haven't had any major problems with them and I like the look better than the rochesters. The Rochesters do however flow more CFM's......

14. swissmike

swissmike

You may not be able to run a 2x2 with a progressive linkage depending on your intake design. Of course that wouldn't matter if you are using one of the 2x2 adaptors on a 4barrel intake or similar design with a common plenum.

15. Actually it will be a 2x2 adapter to a stock SBC 4bbl intake. Todd

16. Elco used to make one back int the 50's, Hard to find and fat money. I am going with a 2x2 adapter for a stock 4bbl intake like this:

[​IMG]

You can get them in 4 Bolt (Rochester) and 3 bolt(Holley/Stromberg) patterns. Todd

17. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

I am running three of the new Edelbrock 94 repos with progressive linkage on a 350. They work flawlessly, however it is a mild 350, stock as a rock. I drive it back and forth to work everyday... The Rodchesters no doubt will out perform the 94 and 97's but they will never look as cool. In my humble opinion that is.

18. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I would open the ventures on the bottom of the adaptor to match the holes on the intake. You will most likely open them up, this will give you better flow..I would use your gasket as a template..
    Just an idea..
    Duane.

19. Thanks for all the replys. Seems like a split between the 2 different carbs. Decisions, decisions!!

20. BLAKE

BLAKE

I'd duplicate the 'Sam-O-Ram' intake from the Roach Rod... I always thought that was genius, and it ran pretty damn good on that little (ahem) '283'...

[​IMG]

21. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Todd, didn't we have this very discussion a week ago?

22. Yes sir we did. I was looking for some inputs from other folks. I am leaning towards the 2g's Todd

23. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Good thinking, looking else where. Seek all the info you need to feel comfortable..One persons advice is not always right..
    Duane..
    Somebody took that personnel..OOPS...

24. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Man ya can't beat the look of a 94 or 97, but for flow and dependability the 2g's are the way to go.