Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Ford Radiator on a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MERCURYGUY, Feb 19, 2011.

1. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

1932 Ford radiator on a 1930-31 Model A - Can someone tell me if a 32 Ford Radiator will fit on a Model A without any fitup problems ? Thanks Guys Tom

2. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

no it wont there too tall. Im sure if you have one though you should be able to take it to a radiator shop and have them make it shorter

3. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

They do sell '32 radiators that will fit your '31 thru Walker, Speedway or other sources so look around, or search the HAMB and see if someone isn't selling one that will work first !

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  4. have a brand new 32 walker rad that i had them make 2" short for a 1931 roadster.

brand new / never had water in it. yours if interisted.

5. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

Hey, I have one in mine. Very tight but acceptable fit. Original 31 radiator with cap neck removed and upper shell mounting tabs drilled new holes just behind the originals, no splash apron below. Stock height shell without any mods. Original A hood and hinge. I have also Brookville apron in the shelf that fits this combo and I use Gennie headlight bar that is also just for this.

6. If your 32 radiator is a four cylinder one I might be interested if you decide to sell it.

7. I called Walker direct and they said a 30/31 Model A on a stock frame and no body channel, and an original 32 grill shell, a stock height 32 rad with fit. I have it here now but I haven't had it on the car yet.

8. The top tank for a '32 will not fit a '30-'31 shell as it extends forward at the top about an inch where the Model A is flat. The filler cap is in a slightly different location. I have never heard of a height problem. Run a '32 shell and make an adapter for the center hinge and your problems should go away.

Charlie Stephens

9. Paul B

Paul B

I am guessing here but i think the question is what mods to a 32 radiator & shell to fit the model A frame , an not a 32 radiator in the 31 shell. I need to know also as i am going to run a 32 grill on my Coupe. I measured looks like i would need a shorten radiator . Thanks Paul

10. With all due respect to those that have posted otherwise I don't think you will have to shorten the '32 radiator to use it on a '31. Find a store that sells both and set them next to each other. Please post what you find.

Charlie Stephens

11. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

I just ordered two 32 style radiators nr. 4009 for my A's.

Alabama company Brice Thomas Radiators www.cgj.com aka radman2776 in ebay. I got the Autocad drawing from Phillip Cochran there and compared the heights and also mounting tab locations are all same height as in original A radiator.

They make slightly different 4052 for A shell and banger applications.

12. you can use a 32 radiator on a 30-31 using a 32 shell with out chopping anything, you do need to use a v headlight bar to clear the 32 insert & use a 30-31 radiator apron that fits a 32 shell, if you are running fenders

13. do you work for brookville roadster or is this just your stage name?

14. flatford39

flatford39

Some conflicting ideas here. Can anyone put it into perspective???

Thank you for the input.

15. so its all up to the look your after. -bottom line

i put a 1.1/4 -shorter then stock in my 31 on duece rails.

car side view can be seen in my albums-1931 roadster.

i was going after the raked look. ..the stock height looked to be going up hill to me.
    use a grill shell -stand back about 10-20 feet and make your adjustment on how you want it to look.

thats what i did.

thanks for giving up the floor
    bali-rod

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I believe that 1. '30-32 are the same height 2. Lots of people like them a bit shorter on fenderless cars. As noted above, '32 filler and '32 tank need a '32 shell. B and '31 radiators are almost identical except for those things...