Register now to get rid of these ads!

Joe Smith Early Ford & Hot Rod Open House

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -JoeSmith-, Mar 28, 2011.

1. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

[​IMG]

This is my way of saying thank you for the support that I have received over the years from the hot rod community. I certainly appreciate all of the support that I have received from the folks here on the HAMB.

There will be free food and drink as well as a free concert for all in attendance. I hope you like honky tonk and rock & roll. Of course we have special deals as well. Bring your cars, your bikes, you spouses, your kids and anyone you want. This is for everyone.

Thank you all for another year of business and the opportunity to follow a dream. I hope to see you there.

-Doug Walker

2. A great event last year, I'll bet it's the same again this year. I'm in. See you there.

3. Smokey2

Smokey2

Is This "THE" Joe Smith, From Atlanta?
    Have YOU STROKED YOUR FLATHEAD TODAY?...........JOE SMITH??

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn I was just in the "area" last weekend visiting my mom in Edenton, NC. Sounds like a great time!

5. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

The Original Joe Smith is alive and well in Atlanta, GA. We talk about once a week. I bought the business that he started in 1965 and sold in 1995 by the same name. Check out the full story here: http://www.joesmithearlyford.com/

See you on Saturday, rain or shine.

-Doug Walker

6. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I will be there might be in a OT vehicle though.

7. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Bought my merc crank for the modell A from Joe back in 94`.
    Was so afraid to loose it, so it ended up as my hand lugage back to Norway:D! Na, was not alowed, payd $200 fine for overweight:)!
    Runs really good today!

Taildragger&fenderless

8. Shoebox if it's done....got alot of little stuff to finish up, gonna be close :D

9. I think the '34 Pickup is gonna make it. Last minute thrash this morning all the way up to Friday. I plan to meet Warren Henley- the builder- at the shop Saturday morning and we'll take 'er for the maiden voyage over to the Open House. Wish us luck. I think you're gonna like it. A ton of Joe Smith-sourced parts on the build. Doug has been a huge help. Couldn't have done it without his steady hand on the order line. :cool:

10. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

fenderless, THAT is commitment! I love it.

Pete, I am excited for you and excited to see the truck. I know that it will all work out.

11. StrickV8

StrickV8

Congrats on another year Doug. Hate can't make it, but let me know next time you plan on coming down here.

12. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

Will do, see you soon.

13. Then I guess we're racing for pride...no place in my driveway for a late model :)

14. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

If its raining its no fun. Trying not to.

15. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

What ever happened to the Ardun powered Deuce Cabrilot that Joe and Hank built? I saw it 90% finished.
    That was 20 years ago. It kinda disapeared.

16. I'm going to try and get over there, Doug, but the wife has some stuff going on and I'm knee deep in pulling the engine out of the roadster - seems one or more bearings let loose on the bottom end. I've got to pull it to check it out.

If I can't make, know I'm there in spirit - BTW, the wires worked out great, looked super until I had to take everything apart to now pull the motor!!! LOL!

17. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

Friend of a friend, I'll get you his number.

TomT- glad to hear the parts worked out, let me know what you need on the engine. I have a good selection of bearings, gaskets, etc on hand.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  18. TomT- glad to hear the parts worked out, let me know what you need on the engine. I have a good selection of bearings, gaskets, etc on hand.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Doug! The shavings I found in the pan were non-magnetic and look more like metal flake. So, I'm hoping it's just bearings and the crank is OK. If there is crank damage it will depend on the extent as to whether I have it re-ground or go with a replacement crank (I know of a couple NOS 3 3/4" cranks I can get at a decent price).

Now, if it's cam bearings (and I sincerely doubt it but you never know) then I may just go for a rebuilt engine for now to get me back on the road and then rebuild this one at some point down the line or just sell it outright. We'll see .... I'll keep you posted .....

19. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

[​IMG]

And by popular request: New shirts that will be available at the Open House.

20. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Looking forward to this, last year was a good time.

21. Save me a Large since I can officially say I have :D

22. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Ohh I might have to pick me up a green one since I haven't stroked my flatty yet :(

23. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

Would that be traditional SBC or trad-ish SBC?

24. Looks like a little shower in the early morning, and the rain blowing out of here by 10am. So drive your hot rods, guys. By noon it is supposed to be quite nice. Looking forward to tomorrow. It'll be fun.

25. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

Wow, that turned into a slippery slope.

Run what you built and I we can discuss it tomorrow over a fender (or lack there of) at the shop.

26. Full tank of gas....check!

Flathead....check!

Big hole in the floor....check! Hope it doesn't rain to hard :D

27. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Bill, was that car painted Blue? I remember a nice blue 32 down at the Atlanta shop.

28. Just wanted to say THANKS! to Doug and everyone else that helped out with the open house today. I had a great time and am already looking forward to next year. :cool: