Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bobby Darin's DiDia 150

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willowbilly3, Mar 31, 2011.

1. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

2. sololobo

sololobo

What a wild thing that ride is. I was knocked out by Sandra Dee and loved seeing Bobby do Mack The Knife on tv, such innocent times. Thanx for showing this intamate glimpse into a couple of big time stars life. I didn't realize Bobby was so young when we lost the great talent. ~sololobo~

3. 'Mo

'Mo

I see no mention of Clarkaiser, the actual builders.

I once read an interview with Bob Kaiser in which he said the car was disgraced by an overheating incident at a red carpet entrance by Bobby Darrin at a gala event (due somehow to user error.)

You can find out more about the car on Rikster's site.
    http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_car_photos/beautiful_custom_cars/clarkaiser_custom_cars/

BTW,The car is said to have had crushed industrial diamonds in the paint.

4. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Thanks for posting. I remembered seeing this at a museum in St. Louis many years ago but forgot what it was called. It just looks like an old Ford concept car from that time period. Or a 1950's version of what a spaceship looked like.

5. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

I think the story was that it had electric fans that had to be turned on by the driver, and Bobby Darin forgot to turn them on when he was stuck in traffic.

6. BJR

BJR

I saw that car in the 60's I think it was at a Ray Farner custom car show in Minneapolis. As I remember it it was huge! Longer then a 59 Cad.

7. dart165

dart165

Kinda looks like the illegitimate love child of the gloden shara and the original GM firebird concept. :rolleyes:

8. There is no denying Detroit was as a hotbed for Kustom talent. Not my cup of tea , but I know guys that saw this when it was introduced and it was mindblowing. I do respect the work, talent , and vision it took to create it. Long Live Detroit!!!!!!!

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

On a side note,...

Ron and Bob were having trouble with a vertical lead seam in the doors,... Ron got a hold of Frank Mack who went over to work his magic,.. Frank use to tell me he thought it looked like a glass bottom boat that capsized. :D (then he would laugh)

I grew up across the street from Bob, who didn't like to admit this,... But Ron was up front about it,... No matter what you think of the design,... the craftsmanship was truly outstanding !

As with all Clarkaiser cars.

10. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

the car sucks, but he was one cool ass dude

11. Rod Zombie

Rod Zombie
    from Florida

That car is rockin' it.