Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rochester B Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knucklehead29, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

I was rebuilding my 1956 Rochester B carb and took the air horn portion off. I removed the main metering jet next to the power piston and exposed a small diameter copper tube goes into the main well support next to the power piston. It looks like it was pressed into the casting of the air horn (top part) of the carb. Well long story short this little copper tube broke off. Does anyone know what this tube is called? It looks like it is some kind of immersion tube that connects to the main metering jet. I have no idea what it is because every single diagram I look at for this carb doesn't have that copper tube at all.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/booklets/images/50c15.jpg

Anyone have any experience with this? Should there be a copper tube from the frame horn through the well support? Any help is appreciated.

2. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

I can't help on getting one, but I think you really need that, but the dimentions are not critical. As it's a transfer tube to suck gas from the main jet and power valve up to wherever it is distributed.

It could have a thicker wall and a larger dia if it will fit in the well support. The Id should be the same or larger..

You could carefully drillout the remains of your old tube and press (or epoxy) in a new one one that you could make out of copper, brass or alluminum tube.

hobby shops have brass tube, HVAC guys have small copper. Stoves and ovens have small aluminum tubing.

4. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Rochester made 141 different type B carburetors...just sayin'...

That said, cores are cheap, usually around $25. If you've screwed yours up beyond repair, you could always start fresh. Please let us know how you fix it! And good luck!

1955 Chevy pickup 235 Rochester B diagram...
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1955truck2/55ctsm06m06.htm

5. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

Thanks guys for the help. I find it peculiar that other models of the Rochester B don't have this tube at all. If I decided to go the new carb route, what would be the best aftermarket option that will bolt up directly to the original ;56 235 intake?

6. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I'd just get another Rochester B. Run the numbers to get the correct kit.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Also, since the first thing someone usually did was remove and throw away the I.D. tag as soon as they got the chance, if yours is gone, look at the base of the carb where it seals to the intake; many times, the last four digits of the I.D. number are stamped in it.