Register now to get rid of these ads!

painting/finned alum.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2OLD2FAST, Mar 30, 2011.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Question for you that have painted between the fins of your finned alum., did you mask the fins ,or wipe off the paint w/thinner, or ???

2. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Easier to just wipe off the fins with a damp (with thinner/spirits) rag or cloth. I always just prefer it raw cast between polished fins.:cool:

3. I have taped mein with pinstriping tape, pull before it dries too much

also consider bead blasting inner fin areas and enamel prime, i have had some adhesion issues:eek:

4. 70caminoman

70caminoman

The way I have personally done a few is just paint the whole thing and sand the fins afterwards starting with like 200 and going progressively finer to like 1000 and then polish the fins with mothers mag aluminum polish I find it real quick and easy that way and the fins really pop like that. You could also use a fresh razor blade on the really flat fins its kinda tricky if you havent done it before but it isnt brain surgery.

Good luck man.

5. primed34

primed34

I used hi temp engine primer and paint. Then rubbed the paint off the fins with paint thinner. Seems to hold up good.

6. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

yeah just wipe it off fast don't use too much thinner when wiping so it doesn't run off the rag!!

7. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Thanks for the replies , think I'll try the wipe method.

dave

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Cherry flavored Chapstick...

The twist tube makes it very easy to control it as you apply it to the area that you don't want the paint to stick. Cherry because it has a red dye that makes it easier to see on the fins.

I masked a set of the old Corvette VCs using an Exacto knife 40 years ago...what a PITA. It took forever.

I tried the rag trick but had trouble keeping the rubbed off paint out of the paint that I wanted to look good and it was impossible for my fat fingers to keep from smearing the fins sides when doing the Corvette letters. I stole this idea from the very first flathead board over 12 years ago. It is sooo much easier and faster with excellent results...for me anyway.

I have used it to restore license plates also.

10. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I also picked up a can of zinc primer to coat the aluminum first before the color, I think i read here that is helps adhesion....

use the chapstick idea it works!!

11. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I have used a powder coater guy that simply wipes the powder off before he bakes it on. Very durable and looks great.

12. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I have done this many times.

In most cases it works out best if the paint wiped off after it has cured a little, rather than just after it is applied..... gummy/tacky but not hard. Depending on the paint, fully cured it will be difficult to neatly remove, if not impossible. If you can't get off every bit of haze, wait until the paint is FULLY cured, then final clean or polish the fins as needed.

If you are going to sand the fins to get a brushed finish; sand the fins as desired, apply the paint and remove as much from the fins as can be easily/safely done, then final sand after the paint has FULLY cured.

Stretch the rag tightly over your finger. The rag should be absorbent, not fluffy, and should not give off lint. Work quickly but carefully. Too much solvent will damage the paint and/or mess up the edges, too little will not get the job done.

13. I like that Cherry Chapstick idea. Along the same lines, I've used Vaseline before. Just grab that jar that you keep on the night stand and with the tip of your finger, put a very thin film of Vaseline on the tops of the fins. Then wipe with thinner as described above after the paint has just started to dry (not cured ).

14. Well, I'll be damned. There's something I never would have thought of. Good idea! I'll have to give it a try.