Register now to get rid of these ads!

upholstery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by opu27, Mar 30, 2011.

1. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

i am thinking about doing my own upholstery on my 27 roadster. buy a sewing machine about $200. selling it when finished. i have no experence but want and enjoy learning something new. any advice on what to avoid or look for ? has anyone done this. thanks, :confused: dick

2. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

3. I'm not an upholsterer but if you want to do pleats or diamonds make sure your machine has a walking foot.

I'm not sure where you are going to find an upholstery quality machine for 200 bucks. I have an old industrial machine that I bought a few years ago for 100 but it is rare that you find one like that. it is going to cost me more than 200 bucks to get a walking foot for it so that I can try and do my own upholstery.

if you get good at upholstery don't sell your machine just quit your job.

4. Dive In... But plan on shelling out $500 or so but do not get a portable one.Find a base unit and table and also get reverse.Go to local shops and find an old one they are retiring or they will know of one somewhere.A side note... they can get pricey to repair.I took my last one in and dropped a $100. The flip side is do a couple of cars and it pays for it's self.

Attached Files:

5. mj40's

mj40's

It takes more than a foot to make a maching walking. It's all in the michines rotating action. The head has an action more like the moon walk to get the action you need at the foot plate. Both the plate and foot have gripers on them to move the fabric forward.

6. I dunno I took my machine in after an apholsterer told me I needed a walking foot. The place told me no problem and asked me for 200 bucks and change.

I suppose if you are buying a machine and stipulate that it needs a walking foot it will have all the moving parts already?

7. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I took a class at the local community college. If you have the old seat cover, use it for a pattern. It's not difficult, just take your time and think it through. I turned it over backwards and drew out my diamond pattern on the back until I got what I wanted. Then sharpen a piece of chalk with a scissors, and mark it on the front. Measure 13 times and cut once. If you can build a hotrod, you can sew.

8. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

9. luckystiff

luckystiff

check your local craislist for Industrial Sewing machines. ebay to. i just bought my singer 211g165 for $250. the only down side is my machine doesn't have reverse. a little more "work" but the guy i bought it from(and is hopefully teaching me some) said it's one of those if your not used to having it you won't miss it, but if your used to having it you will things. it was to nice of a machine to pass up for the price. i'm sure i'll upgrade to a machine with reverse at some point. this one was on ebay about 30 miles from me and got no bids. most people don't wanna ship a heavy/large machine and table...ken....

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Don`t worry about reverse as much as stitch length. When sewing two layers of matarial together with no foam. Stitch length should be at least 5 stitches per inch. 4 would be better. Remember, adding welt and half inch foam will shrink the stitch length down to 6 or 7 or more stitches per inch. Remember, tear along the dotted line.

11. mj40's

mj40's

Reverse is used at the beginning and end of a sewed length to keep the stitches from coming loose. Wouldn't be with out it but that just me.

12. kustom beale

kustom beale
    from ladner b.c

13. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

i paid 1K for my machine but i also do upholstery for fun. u really don't need reverse you can do it manually. don't get a cheapo machine cuz if the material thick since u most likely will use some foam under ur material or atleast u should on certain parts the material will bunch and rip. if ur using piping becareful takes a special foot for it and making it as well.

there is alot more things that go into getting a machine you just cant go and get any ol machine!!