Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone know of a movie filmed at O.C.I.R. in the early 80's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Mar 23, 2011.

1. It had some of us street racers from the Van Nuys area in it, and I never got to see it. It was to be called Riders on the Storm, but supposedly was changed when it came out. It was a lot less mainstream than Heart Like a Wheel, or Funny Car Summer (1974). Anyone know anything about it? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  2. plyguy

plyguy
    from se mich

Just a guess "Funny car summer"?

3. cruxseattle

cruxseattle

I do remember a few scenes of Heart Like A Wheel was filmed at OCIR in very early 80's as the movie was released in 1983.

4. I was thinkin about a episode of Adam-12.......but funny car summer was filmed there and at fremont if I remember right

5. the fact anyone can remember anything from that era is remarkable........

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe Shirley Muldowney "Dragon Lady"?

7. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I'm pretty sure alot of Heart Like A Wheel was filmed there?

8. narlee

narlee

There was a movie called Hot Rod but don't know where it was filmed.

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Rebel of the Road?

10. How about " Those Dirty No goods Go to the drag strip" ? :D:D

If you find out let me know I wanna see Groucho make a pass without driving to Calif.

11. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

"Drag Racer" starring Mark Slade, Jeremy Slate, Deborah Walley, and John Chandler? I think it was mid to late seventies. Scenes from Irwindale, Amarillo, Lions, and Orange County.

If that thurns out to be it....you have to accept me as a Friend/Contact!:p

12. It was pretty cool. They put me against a guy I'd tried to street race with for so long. The director wanted me to lose. I told him I'd been trying to race that chicken shit for so long there was no way I was throwing the race. If he beats me, fine, but I'm not losing on purpose. The guy in question had a nicer looking car than mine with some impressive parts and all the extras and stunt guys thought I was nuts. Me and a bunch of my friends made probly 30-40 side bets with these guys. You should've seen the line of people that had to pay us. :D

13. Oh, I think the main car was a dark blue/white stripe 69 Z-28

14. pastlane

pastlane

The movie Drag Racer was more about fuel racing than anything. Lots of great racing footage, was shot in 1971. Too early for what you are looking for.

15. Skirv

Skirv

Could be a movie named "Independence Day" (NOT the sci-fi flick) made in 1983 staring David Keith. I saw it once a while back and have had a hard time finding it since. In the movie, Keith had a blue street/strip 69 Z-28 that he drag raced at various tracks and on the street I think. As I remember, there was some decent drag footage in the movie but I have not seen it since the mid-80's. Says it was filmed in Texas but that doesn't mean that the racing scenes were. Who knows. Sounds similar and was filmed in the era of your request.

16. HMMM, I'll check that out. Thanks

17. Skirv

Skirv

My money is on this movie. The car is dead on and there was drag strip footage. It's an obscure movie though. I would give it a shot. In the movie, David Keith played a mechanic/aspiring drag racer but there's a bit of a love story:rolleyes: mixed in.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  18. DAMN, that sounds like it. But I can't find anything on it. HELP!

19. Skirv

Skirv

Also found this:

Independence Day
    ©1982 Warner Brothers, directed by Robert Mandel
    Don't confuse this movie with another one by the same name. David Keith plays “Jack Parker“ in this romance. He's a small town mechanic who spends most of his time tuning up his blue 1969 Z/28. The car has a healthy small block with a 4 speed, a ducted hood, a black standard interior with a roll bar, a floor console, rally wheels, and the style trim group. The rear wheels look like the larger 15x8 size from a Corvette. This car is missing the front spoiler, the headrests, the emblem out of the grille, the emblems on the hood, and the stripes. Jack drag races his Z/28 against other cars on a makeshift dirt track on the outskirts of town. Later on, he prepares the car for a big drag race by installing a polished intake manifold, a tall velocity stack, and a flat hood with a snorkel scoop.
    Current location of this Camaro: Unknown.

20. Where'd you find that?

21. Dirty Old Nash

Dirty Old Nash

22. Skirv

Skirv

I googled this..... "independence day movie 1969 camaro"

23. Cecil

Cecil

Could it be one called (Wheels of Fire) ? They showed it on the old Lost Drive In in the 90's.I remember Dave McCellan pulled up in T/A at the begining of the movie.

24. Skirv

Skirv

25. pastlane

pastlane

26. VHS is fine

27. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

IMDB Internet Movie Data Base. Good stuff.